Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bose QC35 Released: Wireless and USB Rechargeable

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by KCZ
Long-term followup: I bought these back in late July, and I've been using them mostly at home for 4-5 hour stretches, 4-5 nights/week, to avoid keeping the rest of the house up while I'm up late watching television or listening to music. At 6 months, the battery level now drops by 30-40% with each usage. This is a very noticeable difference compared to several months ago. I'm afraid that the longevity of this lithium battery is not going to be very good. I can only hope that it fails completely before the warranty is up.

That thumbs up is now a big thumbs down.
Curious if when you first got them you started a habit of charging them when they were still mostly charged (say 60%+)? I've been told that charging when the battery remains mostly charged greatly diminishes the life and capacity of the battery, creating a circumstance similar to that you're now experiencing.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Curious if when you first got them you started a habit of charging them when they were still mostly charged (say 60%+)? I've been told that charging when the battery remains mostly charged greatly diminishes the life and capacity of the battery, creating a circumstance similar to that you're now experiencing.
Interesting, I had heard this as well...aaaand just realized that I do this with my QC35 fairly often. I get in that road warrior mentality of wanting to make sure all electronics are fully charged at all times. Thanks for reminding me, may need to remember to unplug the QCs when charging is not crucial.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NomadNick
Interesting, I had heard this as well...aaaand just realized that I do this with my QC35 fairly often. I get in that road warrior mentality of wanting to make sure all electronics are fully charged at all times. Thanks for reminding me, may need to remember to unplug the QCs when charging is not crucial.
Me, too, until Ms Ekeko gently reminded me that I can halve the number of times I would naturally tend to charge them and still be fine.

Still, I'd like to have higher expectations for a $$$ piece of equipment...
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:07 pm
KCZ

I generally don't charge them until they get to 30% or less. That used to be once a week, now its 2-3 times/week, with consistent usage patterns.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:37 pm

Am I the only one that sleeps with my head against the wall when flying haha.
I just recently purchased the QC35, love them but after wearing them for some time, worry that they actually might be a nuisance when trying to sleep on a flight, does anyone have experience with this/ is it not a big deal. Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:27 pm
KCZ

More follow-up:

The right earpiece is now becoming hot, and I have a lot of static and complete sound cut outs. Maybe there's a short somewhere. Due to some inexplicable prescience, I bought a Geek Squad replacement plan so they're being exchanged on Friday.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bstv69
I just recently purchased the QC35, love them but after wearing them for some time, worry that they actually might be a nuisance when trying to sleep on a flight, does anyone have experience with this/ is it not a big deal. Thanks
What is this wall you speak of? Some of us only sleep in lay flat seats.

Seriously though, I could definitely see any of these over or on-ear models being an issue with that. I look out the window when in a window seat and have occasionally brushed my headphones against the wall inadvertently. The vibration of the plane passes straight through as the headphones try to "cancel" out whatever the mics are interpreting, and it can be quite horrible.

So if you tend to lean when you sleep, then yes, it can be a problem.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by bstv69
This is why I have the both of the older models (qc20 and qc25). The vibration and sound when pressed on the wall is not pleasant. The qc20 is also much more compact to travel with.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:14 pm

Lithium ion battery technology does not really have the "memory effect" that you are referring to. It is in general more of a number of cycles issue, where the "wear and tear" of the battery as you use it more. Incredibly disappointing to hear the battery getting that bad in less than a year. I just bought a few pairs to give to my parents, purchased with Discover so I guess that would double the warranty to 2 years for me.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
What is this wall you speak of? Some of us only sleep in lay flat seats.

Seriously though, I could definitely see any of these over or on-ear models being an issue with that. I look out the window when in a window seat and have occasionally brushed my headphones against the wall inadvertently. The vibration of the plane passes straight through as the headphones try to "cancel" out whatever the mics are interpreting, and it can be quite horrible.

So if you tend to lean when you sleep, then yes, it can be a problem.
When I sit at the back of the bus (95% of the time), I usually fold out the headrest (surprised that a lot of people who sit in economy don't know the headrest is movable and usually foldable). Surprisingly it fits my head with my QC25's quite nicely.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: some
Sorry if this has been answered beforfe but I feel I am missing something. I like the idea of a wireless headset. I currently have hte QC25s (wired) and have been contemplating upgrading but:

- the NC (a 'must have' feature for me) won't work with the IFE (unlike the wired version that does)
- the NC doesn't work when I use my MP3 player (I have a Questyle QP1R dedicated audio player)

That only leaves NC when working on/playing music or video on my laptop....So am I right in thinking that this upgrade is not for me?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
Originally Posted by Fliar
Sorry if this has been answered beforfe but I feel I am missing something. I like the idea of a wireless headset. I currently have hte QC25s (wired) and have been contemplating upgrading but:

- the NC (a 'must have' feature for me) won't work with the IFE (unlike the wired version that does)
- the NC doesn't work when I use my MP3 player (I have a Questyle QP1R dedicated audio player)

That only leaves NC when working on/playing music or video on my laptop....So am I right in thinking that this upgrade is not for me?
I've used them in wired NC mode with IFE and iPhone and they work great. You can choose to use the NC, or not, when in wired mode, by hitting the power switch just like you would when turning them on or off in wireless mode.

I always leave NC on when connected to IFE, but I suppose if you were in a situation where you were very low on power, couldn't charge, and still needed to use them, it is nice to be able to do so.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The active NC is built in to the headset itself, so it doesn't matter what audio source you're using.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by PTravel
The active NC is built in to the headset itself, so it doesn't matter what audio source you're using.
Thanks for the reply. This review I read made it sound like the NC doesn't work in corded mode. Can you confirm that in fact it does?

https://www.cnet.com/products/bose-quietcomfort-35/

The good news is the headphone does work as a wired headphone if the battery runs out of juice (a 47.2-inch cord is included -- it's slimmer than the one that comes with the QC25 and has no integrated microphone). You just can't use the noise-canceling or Bluetooth, of course, but at least you can get some sound out of it, and the tight seal of the ear cups does provide a fair amount of noise isolation.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The good news is the headphone does work as a wired headphone if the battery runs out of juice (a 47.2-inch cord is included -- it's slimmer than the one that comes with the QC25 and has no integrated microphone). You just can't use the noise-canceling or Bluetooth, of course, but at least you can get some sound out of it, and the tight seal of the ear cups does provide a fair amount of noise isolation.
It sounds as if the author is assuming that one wouldn't use the cord unless the battery dies, and those features require power.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.