Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selfie Sticks

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
Would be interesting to poll all of you on your ages and see what the data shows.

I hypothesize that the pro- or neutral-selfie stick crowd would be below 35.

Im under 35 and really don't care either way. When I travel I try to avoid all the places where tourists would be using selfie sticks anyway, and when I do visit those places I guess i just lump selfie-sticks in with things like turnstiles at machu picchu and long lines at the louvre (i.e. all things that one has to deal with at these "touristy" places).

Last edited by bumfluff; Mar 26, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by bumfluff
Would be interesting to poll all of you on your ages and see what the data shows.

Im 30yo and really don't care either way. When I travel I try to avoid all the places where tourists would be using selfie sticks anyway, and when I do visit those places I guess i just lump selfie-sticks in with things like turnstiles at machu picchu and long lines at the louvre (i.e. all things that one has to deal with at these "touristy" places).
I would agree, being 32 myself I have never been one to go around taking selfies for some sort of "proof" as others put it. It would definitely seem like the selfie generation is <30 (unless you go to the Philippines where everyone and their dog has a stick)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Are you sure you weren't walking to close to someone?
I've seen it happen in both crowded and open spaces-some people just aren't aware of their surroundings at all (that or just not courteous enough)
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steveman518
I've seen it happen in both crowded and open spaces-some people just aren't aware of their surroundings at all (that or just not courteous enough)
I've seen plenty of people with selfie sticks but I've never seen anyone waving one around like a light saber.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by bumfluff

Im 30yo and really don't care either way. When I travel I try to avoid all the places where tourists would be using selfie sticks anyway, and when I do visit those places I guess i just lump selfie-sticks in with things like turnstiles at machu picchu and long lines at the louvre (i.e. all things that one has to deal with at these "touristy" places).
I'm under 30 and think selfie sticks need to be shoved some place that the owner would find pretty unpleasant.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:01 am

I think selfie sticks are most memorable one....
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:35 am

I am over 35 and do not use a selfie stick.

Saw a ton of them at Disney World in January, I think heard Disney recently banned them because of people being obnoxious and irresponsible on rides.

I can see why a family may want to take one on vacation to get some photos with the whole family though.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I've seen plenty of people with selfie sticks but I've never seen anyone waving one around like a light saber.
I've seen people get hit in the head with them when, in the heat of selfie-ing (?), the selfie-ers swing it around to take a selfie with whatever interesting thing it is that they just saw.

Fyi, also banned at NYC museums (MOMA, the Met, Museum of Natural History, and others I'm sure). Same at the Art Institute of Chicago.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by shuttercookie
I am over 35 and do not use a selfie stick.

Saw a ton of them at Disney World in January, I think heard Disney recently banned them because of people being obnoxious and irresponsible on rides.

I can see why a family may want to take one on vacation to get some photos with the whole family though.
Did Disney put up signage to that effect? I'll be there in 2 weeks, and although I don't own a selfie stick, I am curious as to know how they have conveyed their ban to the public.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Not banned in the parks, but they are banned on attractions.
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/04/breaki...n-attractions/
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kyden
Did Disney put up signage to that effect? I'll be there in 2 weeks, and although I don't own a selfie stick, I am curious as to know how they have conveyed their ban to the public.
Was at Disney a couple of weeks ago, I saw plenty of people using selfie sticks in the parks but not on the rides as Cast Members will enforce the ban on the rides.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I don't understand the hate at selfie sticks. Even if you're 40 or 50 don't you want at least a couple of photos together with your whole travel party? Before selfie sticks you'd hand your camera off to some other person asking for help only to invariably find the composition is absolute sh*t. Doesn't it make sense to buy a selfie stick so you can then do the job yourself?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by shuigao
... Doesn't it make sense to buy a selfie stick so you can then do the job yourself?
/Crabby old man hat ON/

No. With my camera on a tripod and self-timer, I can get a FAR better picture than any phone on a remotely held stick. A hundred times better camera stability if nothing else. Not to mention 4 or 5x better sensor.

If those stupid sticks are permitted at a venue, then my tripod should be. And the tripod is not a menace to others around me.

/Crabby old man hat OFF/
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
/Crabby old man hat ON/

No. With my camera on a tripod and self-timer, I can get a FAR better picture than any phone on a remotely held stick. A hundred times better camera stability if nothing else. Not to mention 4 or 5x better sensor.

If those stupid sticks are permitted at a venue, then my tripod should be. And the tripod is not a menace to others around me.

/Crabby old man hat OFF/
I like the cut of your jib.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Lol @ Selfie sticks! I was initially thinking about it, but then I was thinking, do I NEED a perfect awesome shot of myself? Am I so self centred/absorbed or narcissist that I need it. Then I decided not too I'm fine with using the camera or asking someone else

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.