Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selfie Sticks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thing I don't get is, phones already are challenged for capturing good images because of the form factor, which doesn't allow bigger sensors or good optical components and paths.

And to take selfies, they have to use the inferior front cameras, mainly to frame themselves.

Even if they get the background, it's likely to be poor.

If you're at a once in a lifetime place, wouldn't you want the best pq possible?

You can probably Google a famous site, then photoshop yourself on this low res web photo and get about the same result as shooting with a front camera of a phone.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wco81
If you're at a once in a lifetime place, wouldn't you want the best pq possible?
There is more to the pic than the background though. It's also how you look in it. If you're taking a selfie, you can snap the shot just how you like it (smile looks good, nothing on your teeth, head at the right angle, head not blocking anything important, waiting to snap until there are no other people in the pic). Getting all of those things right with someone else taking the pic is very, very, very difficult unless you just happen to travel with someone who at least considers photography a hobby.

Not only that, at least the people I travel with, have a really bad habit of making me look so tiny in the picture that you can't even really tell it's me. What's the point of that picture?

You can probably Google a famous site, then photoshop yourself on this low res web photo and get about the same result as shooting with a front camera of a phone.
This would be really stupid. I'm not really sure who would want this other than a fraud.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What do people do with selfies?

Mainly share it on social media right?

You can green screen effects too.

Almost as if the people who take selfies are more interested in what others think of their pics than they are about the experience they had when they traveled.

So if that's the case, why would faking it be out of the question?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

So if that's the case, why would faking it be out of the question?
Not saying this hasn't been done before but the selfies are meant to show the cool experiences you've enjoyed over your life. I'm not really sure what benefit fake photos have? To make others believe you went somewhere that you didn't? I guess if you're into that sort of thing.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Over several pages of discussion in this thread, I think we have gotten a little off the original topic. That is pretty typical of FT - or most any other discussion forum.

I have been pretty forthright in my opinions here but do want to differentiate a little. I don't have a problem or see anything inappropriate in the taking of "selfies." (I do have to wonder at the reason for holding the phone way up overhead and pointing it down for the shot. Seems like a perfect recipe for distorted, really bad perspective images.) My concern is not with selfies but rather the "selfie sticks," which were the subject of the original post. The "sticks" create the possibility for a whole raft of issues for other people. I don't think simple, handheld "selfies" do, any more than do I or others like me who see much of the world around us through a viewfinder. Different strokes and all that.

JMHO.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:42 am

Problem solved.

Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Its called google drive. 1 TB backup for 9.99 a month. The chances of google drive failing is as much as Delta fixing its award chart.
Call me crazy, but I'll say it again: I'm quite sure most of those selfie-stick shooters we're discussing here aren't doing any kind of backup, aside from whatever they share on Facetwitstagramtube or whatever.

Just a hunch.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by GateHold
And why have people become so obsessed with taking photographs OF THEMSELVES? Here you are in this incredible spot, and you've got the camera turned around backwards for yet another snapshot of yourself. It's kind of disturbing, frankly.
I must be doing something wrong... In nearly forty years of photography, I've never taken a photo of myself. Not one.

Whatever will I do?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:42 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by chris19992
Camera with WiFi + app on phone to control camera = problem solved. Plus it's not a crappy phone quality photo.
Could you suggest a couple of models able to do it? Thanks! ^
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I must be doing something wrong... In nearly forty years of photography, I've never taken a photo of myself. Not one.

Whatever will I do?
So you have no visible proof that you did any sort of traveling?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Exactly why would one need to prove they've traveled?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fleck
Exactly why would one need to prove they've traveled?
Fleck: "Hey mom I just got back from Africa."
Fleck's Mom: "You did? That's great son. Did you have fun?"
Fleck: "Sure did. Was amazing. I will remember it forever mom."
Fleck's Mom: "That's great son. Let me see some pictures."
Fleck: "Oh sorry mom. Didn't take any. Not into that."
Fleck's Mom: "Oh. That's cool. I guess?????????"
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Fleck's Mom: "Oh. That's cool. I guess?????????"
Fleck's Mom: "That's great son. Let me see some selfies."

Note the difference...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:13 pm

Sure, mom. I took over 5,000 but will e-mail the best for you and the close family and post some to Facebook for everybody else in the family to enjoy. I am planning to print up the best at 16x20 and frame it for my wall. Would you like one, too?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:17 am

Have you considered the possibility that there is more to photography than selfies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.