FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Photography (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography-629/)
-   -   Selfie Sticks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-photography/1662617-selfie-sticks.html)

steveben53 Mar 12, 2015 8:36 am

Selfie Sticks

Just a warning to anybody thinking of using a selfie stick to take photos in London's National Gallery, as of yesterday the use of them has been prohibited

tentseller Mar 12, 2015 9:29 am

When you look at the careless way that selfie sticks are used worldwide I am not surprised.
I had an escalated incident where someone almost poke me in the eye with one and I was able to block and knock the thingie away. The attached phone fell out and was damaged.
Police was involved and I was held not responsible due to it was an act of aggression and I was acting in self defense. It was a crowded spot and I had witnesses; two of the witnesses were poked by this same individual.

abmj-jr Mar 12, 2015 11:00 am

Good for the National Gallery. Hopefully a similar ban will be enacted at other places which experience large crowds. Many already prohibit tripods. Those stupid sticks are no different.

tentseller Mar 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 24496372)
Good for the National Gallery. Hopefully a similar ban will be enacted at other places which experience large crowds. Many already prohibit tripods. Those stupid sticks are no different.

IMHO they are worse than tripods. Tripod position is "static" but these sticks are dynamic.

chris19992 Mar 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Good, the more places that ban these attention seeker photo sticks the better.

Madone59 Mar 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 24496372)

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 24496856)
IMHO they are worse than tripods. Tripod position is "static" but these sticks are dynamic.

+1. The Peak in Hong Kong is like walking through a lacrosse game :p

tentseller Mar 12, 2015 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 24497744)
+1. The Peak in Hong Kong is like walking through a lacrosse game :p

Umm, I did bring my lacrosse stick when I moved back to HK.

wiredboy10003 Mar 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 24496856)

I actually think it's the opposite. People walking past a tripod can easily trip over the legs. (I know this because I'm a photographer and regularly kick my tripod legs by accident). Unless you're holding the selfie stick a foot from the ground it's unlikely you'll trip over it.

Having said that, I don't like them either.

safra1 Mar 14, 2015 3:44 pm

My friend works at the apple store and he couldn't tell me how many times he's had people come in to the store with broken iPhones which fell off the selfie sticks. They are trouble!!!

Domat Mar 14, 2015 4:25 pm

I think selfie sticks are awesome.

tentseller Mar 15, 2015 5:26 am

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003 (Post 24507654)
I actually think it's the opposite. People walking past a tripod can easily trip over the legs. (I know this because I'm a photographer and regularly kick my tripod legs by accident). Unless you're holding the selfie stick a foot from the ground it's unlikely you'll trip over it.

Having said that, I don't like them either.

Tripod on the ground you can pay attentiond to and avoid them most of the time.

Entitled klutzy tourist with selfie sticks is another matter.

Peoriaman1 Mar 15, 2015 7:14 am

There's a million places I'm not allowed to use my tripod yet I see people carelessly waving those stupid sticks around, and they're always at the right height to knock someone in the face, or poke an eye out. I say ban 'em everywhere!

gomes02 Mar 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Yeah you are right recently i went there and when i taking the selfie the guard interrupted me and we both arguing.

chucko Mar 18, 2015 2:51 pm

They ought to be banned by international convention.

TMM1982 Mar 19, 2015 2:10 am

To the people complaining about selfie sticks, would you rather people bother you to take their picture and then checking to see if you did a good job?