Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selfie Sticks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
To the people complaining about selfie sticks, would you rather people bother you to take their picture and then checking to see if you did a good job?
Actually, I would.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I saw this in Beijing and couldn't resist: the struggle of having a selfie stick and texting
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Madone59
I saw this in Beijing and couldn't resist: the struggle of having a selfie stick and texting
FT should have a "like" button: ^
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I think I can safely say that most of those stick-wielding selfie-shooters we're complaining about in this thread aren't doing anything special to ensure their selfies are around to enjoy in fifty years. Just a hunch, but I'm sure I'm right.

Its been said, that with the switch to digital we're seeing an era where less and less photos are printed or archived in any way, than ever before. In the old days, everyone had drawers of negatives and boxes of color slides or prints which lasted more-or-less forever. Now, increasingly, everyone's pics are saved on an SD card (which could get lost), in their phone, or in their computer. Does everyone remember to save everything when they buy a new phone? How about ten phones from now? One very BIG concern is that its very easy to lose entire years worth of photos all at once.
Digital photo habits vary greatly from person to person.

Those who are not very digital-savvy will often take photos, print them on a crappy home printer with no more than a 5-10 year estimated lifespan, then delete the files.

Younger folks, especially kids, post all of their phone pics to things like Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook, and never give them a second thought. But when they get a new phone, the old stuff is almost always moved over for them by the provider who programs the phone.

Those in my generation are in between. We are old enough to remember negatives and appreciate their value, but young enough to understand that the digital files ARE our negatives. We also developed our digital habits in the days before the internet, so we tend to be careful about backing everything up in more than one place. We've all lost stuff to hard drive meltdowns or lightning strikes or even home disasters like fire and flood.

We haven't yet arrived at the point where everybody will have a permanent online presence that's automatically backed up by providers without us even thinking about it, but in another 10 years we'll probably be there. The current crop of online backup services will transmute into affordable cloud-storage services where everybody can store terrabytes of crap indefinitely for a buck or two per day, and they'll all standardize on a customer-friendly method of data migration from one provider to another, similar to the way that phone providers all now provide easy migration when you change phones. That's when real permanence will come about.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
FB, Instagram don't archive pictures tied to accounts?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by WillCAD
We haven't yet arrived at the point where everybody will have a permanent online presence that's automatically backed up by providers without us even thinking about it, but in another 10 years we'll probably be there. The current crop of online backup services will transmute into affordable cloud-storage services where everybody can store terrabytes of crap indefinitely for a buck or two per day, and they'll all standardize on a customer-friendly method of data migration from one provider to another, similar to the way that phone providers all now provide easy migration when you change phones. That's when real permanence will come about.
Hopefully so. We shall see. There is definately a need.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I think I can safely say that most of those stick-wielding selfie-shooters we're complaining about in this thread aren't doing anything special to ensure their selfies are around to enjoy in fifty years. Just a hunch, but I'm sure I'm right.

Its been said, that with the switch to digital we're seeing an era where less and less photos are printed or archived in any way, than ever before. In the old days, everyone had drawers of negatives and boxes of color slides or prints which lasted more-or-less forever. Now, increasingly, everyone's pics are saved on an SD card (which could get lost), in their phone, or in their computer. Does everyone remember to save everything when they buy a new phone? How about ten phones from now? One very BIG concern is that its very easy to lose entire years worth of photos all at once.
Its called google drive. 1 TB backup for 9.99 a month. The chances of google drive failing is as much as Delta fixing its award chart.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Its called google drive. 1 TB backup for 9.99 a month. The chances of google drive failing is as much as Delta fixing its award chart.
Prices like that are why so many people eschew online backups in favor of buying a 2tb USB hard drive for less than $100 and call it a "backup". Despite the many risks, getting twice as much space for less money, or the same space for less than half the price, is a hugely attractive prospect for a budget-conscious consumer.

I think when yearly storage prices fall to about 75% of the going rate per gb of hard drive prices, that's when the online file storage movement - not just photo sharing sites but actual cloud storage and cloud-based backups - will really go mainstream. It will also help when providers start offering auto-migration from one service to another, as phone providers do with phone data when buying a new handset, or number portability when changing providers.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:04 am
Suspended

..in favor of buying a 2tb USB hard drive for less than $100 and call it a "backup".
Why not just get a flash drive for < $20 and use that as a backup?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
..in favor of buying a 2tb USB hard drive for less than $100 and call it a "backup".
Why not just get a flash drive for < $20 and use that as a backup?
And where, pray tell, are you going to find a 2TB flash drive for $20 - or even $200?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Efrem
And where, pray tell, are you going to find a 2TB flash drive for $20 - or even $200?
Who needs 2 TB for photo storage?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I have 4 TB and counting, and I am not particularly prolific. Any professional or serious hobbyist will have tens of thousands of images from years of shooting.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jun 10, 2015 at 10:32 am
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:57 am

Oh my god, don't get me started. The selfie stick is the single worst and most annoying thing to happen to travel since the advent of Ryanair. You can't go anywhere these days without getting jabbed, poked and prodded by those blasted things.

And why have people become so obsessed with taking photographs OF THEMSELVES? Here you are in this incredible spot, and you've got the camera turned around backwards for yet another snapshot of yourself. It's kind of disturbing, frankly.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:30 am

A) People who have decades of scanned old photos and slides

B) People who shoot video

C) People who shoot in Raw format

D) People who are planning for the future

E) People who wisely store and back up their photos, video, music, and all other data files in the same spot, rather than taking a random dice-throwing approach to backups

F) All of the above
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GateHold
And why have people become so obsessed with taking photographs OF THEMSELVES? Here you are in this incredible spot, and you've got the camera turned around backwards for yet another snapshot of yourself. It's kind of disturbing, frankly.
Here is my viewpoint on it. I love the images with myself and an amazing natural scene or historic landmark in the background. It's very, very cool to have a picture of yourself in a fun spot.

The images where I'm just taking a picture of something (Eiffel Tower for example) aren't as special. Because someone somewhere has already taken that same shot and done a much better job. If I want a perfect image of the Eiffel Tower (or anything else), I can go to Google Images and get it. I don't need to take it.

But the special ones are the ones with me in front of something really cool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.