Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:52 pm

MBK Food Court.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by glob99
MBK Food Court.
Fifth Floor. One of my favorites.

For the OP, it depends on what your asking for. You start out with "luxury" so if that means you want baby snails marinated in virgin calf snot, I can't make a recommendation. But it you just want good quality food, Fifth Avenue at MBK, Food Loft at Zen or Central Chidlom are my 3 favorites. You can get a variety of good food including Thai, Indian, Japanese, Muslim (Halal), Vietnamese, and some real strange "Fusion" meals.

Since the OP doesn't appear to be a regular in BKK, I'd advise staying clear of the street vendors. The food can be pretty good, but your system may not be immune enough yet.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You start out with "luxury" so if that means you want baby snails marinated in virgin calf snot, I can't make a recommendation.
I think I had this once at a road-side food stall in the middle of Isan.

Delicious.

Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw this article in the newspaper yesterday:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle...culinary-stars

http://www.theworlds50best.com/asia/...staurants.html

http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2014/0...taurants-2013/
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Mostly covered in the rooftop dining thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...s-sirocco.html as this is the best food in BKK if price/performance and total cost is not an issue. Worth it by NYC/London/Paris price points but out of character for Thailand
Otherwise I have had excellent royal thai food cooked by my personal chef when visiting friends, but it is not publicly available
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
My personal favorite for Thai food is Love Scene, on Sukhumvit Soi 23.

Second choice would be Rosabieng (sp?) on Sukhumvit Soi 11, across the street from the Ambassador Hotel Convention Center. I've seen reviews that say it can be hit-or-miss, but it was good the two times I've been there.

Last edited by zarkov505; Sep 23, 2014 at 3:05 pm Reason: Remembered the name
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:49 pm

I just had dinner at the Water Library in Thonglor. It was sublime and I can't recommend it enough.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: BA, EI, EY, TG, KL, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt,
Above Eleven at the Fraser Suites on Soi 11 is different - I like it a lot. Peruvian/Japanese. Nice views too.
It is a bar with restuarant part to it - worth booking for a table in advance
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: BA, EI, EY, TG, KL, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt,
Also tried Gaggan a couple of weeks ago - interesting take on Indian food
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stumbled across these researching some destinations for visitors:

Best Restaurants in Bangkok

Isaan Foodie Haven

Example: the Isaan neighborhood on Petchburi Road, next to Ratchathewi intersection and across the street from the mosque on Soi 7.

Sidewalk Guide to Bangkok's Finest Street Vendors - Saochingcha Area

Eating in Bangkok

Street Eats
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Tried the new Pomodoro yesterday. At least I call it new. It's on the second floor of that two story glass building in what was formerly part of the driveway of the Ambassador Hotel on Suk Soi 11.

It was in the middle of the afternoon (I just had to have a pizza), and I was the only one there. There had been some rain in the morning; the air was clear (relatively) and not too hot, so I opted to sit outside on the balcony at one of the bar-like high tables. My server was extremely pleasant, in the same way that cabin crew in CX F is pleasant, -- her attitude was genuine and there's a smile on her face throughout every interaction with the guest.

Ordered a San Pellegrino and a margarita pizza and asked to have it well done. Well-done is a concept which is usually lost in Thailand; I think that it might be a language/translation thing. I usually try to convey the idea by saying something like "cooked a lot." But this server seemed to understand.

SP arrived promptly; server was carrying a tray on which was an open bottle, a glass with ice and a plate with a lime slice (which is customarily called lemon in Thailand). Server asked if I would like the "lemon" in my drink; I replied yes and she put it in the glass before pouring. Perfectly done.

Pizza arrived after an appropriate amount of time and it appeared to be perfect. It wasn't as well done as I normally prefer back home ("charred" would be a good way to describe the way I like my pizza); but it was clearly much more well done than the average pizza I've had in Thailand, and crisp, the way I like it. The basil leaves were sliced into small strips/pieces, as they should be. I never understood why people serve this pizza with large, whole basil leaves. Just makes it difficult to eat. Taste? I'd say OK, B/B-. Certainly acceptable for Thailand. Hardly the quality of a traditional place in Little Italy (NYC) or the North End (BOS), but not at all bad.

I was enjoying the afternoon and reading while eating. When I finished eating, my table was cleared promptly. I continued to read, and the check was neither presented nor offered. Perfect!! There was no attempt to rush me or make me feel in any way that they wanted the table. Of course I was the only one there, but it was still nice, and done the way it should be.

Eventually I requested the check, paid, and headed towards the top of the stairs to go back down to street level. Server accompanied me to the stairs, thanked me for visiting, invited me back and wai'ed me, smiling throughout.

There are undoubtedly places in BKK to get higher quality or more authentic Italian food, but considering my entire experience, I'd rate this Pomodoro fairly high and recommend it. I'd go back in a minute.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
There are undoubtedly places in BKK to get higher quality or more authentic Italian food, but considering my entire experience, I'd rate this Pomodoro fairly high and recommend it. I'd go back in a minute.
Have you been to Limoncello, which is also on Soi 11? Would be very curious to hear how you rate the two by comparison, if so.

Limoncello is my go-to for pizza in Bangkok, although a little pricy.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:48 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Pizza arrived after an appropriate amount of time and it appeared to be perfect. It wasn't as well done as I normally prefer back home ("charred" would be a good way to describe the way I like my pizza); but it was clearly much more well done than the average pizza I've had in Thailand, and crisp, the way I like it. The basil leaves were sliced into small strips/pieces, as they should be. I never understood why people serve this pizza with large, whole basil leaves. Just makes it difficult to eat. Taste? I'd say OK, B/B-. Certainly acceptable for Thailand. Hardly the quality of a traditional place in Little Italy (NYC) or the North End (BOS), but not at all bad.
I'd bet that what you had in Bangkok was better than what you can now find in Manhattan's Little Italy.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:02 pm

Thais don't like charred stuff IME. They think it causes cancer. Thanks for the review.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried the new Pomodoro yesterday.
Good review. Thanks.

I see these Pomodoro restaurants all over: Central World, Emporium; part of a larger chain, and operating group.

http://www.pomodorogroup.co.th/index...ant-locations/

There's an evening sidewalk pizza place on Rama 4 at Silom wedged under the Robinson/Tops. Thin and crisp; great for a snack.

Basilico (Soi 20 and Soi 33, maybe other locations) has gotten decent reviews. http://www.basilicopizza.com/home/index.html

For a native pizza joint, Aob Ai Aun on Bearing 39, and another branch on Udom Suk, is very good if a bit off the beaten path. http://realitythailand.com/aob-ai-aub-pub-udomsuk/

Last edited by transpac; Mar 23, 2014 at 2:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.