Reload this Page >

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Old May 18, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:39 pm

I'm heading to Bangkok on my Honeymoon in 2 weeks. My future wife and I are big time foodies and really looking forward to exploring the food in Bangkok.

We will be spending 3 days there with a pretty open itinerary. We heard that we need to check out Jay Fai. We also have dinner reservations at Nahm.

Any other suggestions? Should we do a street food tour? Cooking class?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I, too, can recommend Bo.Lan. It's excellent in every way. One warning for us westerners, -- Bo.Lan doesn't tone down the amount of chili for western palates. They serve food that way that they feel it should be served. To enjoy this meal, you need to be able to tolerate quite a bit of heat.
At the risk of sounding like a paid spokesman...

We were back at Bo Lan last week with a large group. Two members requested mild chilli and received (IMHO) perfectly bland food and there was also a latecomer that declared a gluten intolerance - the chef made up a gluten free menu for her to enjoy right along with everyone else's selections.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:09 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Good, lower end restaurants

Stuart McDonald of Travelfish is currently in Bangkok and posting on Instagram, if you're interested in good, casual, inexpensive.

I think any of these places would be accessible to non-Thai speaking customers. You might have to pay, horrors, in cash. I've bookmarked several places so far.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:20 am
rjh

Vegetarian Festival

Also, since I'm here anyway, here's a topical tweet from Richard Barrow about the upcoming Vegetarian Festival.

Yellow flags at a food stall means they sell only vegan meals
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by JEStarr
I'm heading to Bangkok on my Honeymoon in 2 weeks. My future wife and I are big time foodies and really looking forward to exploring the food in Bangkok.

We will be spending 3 days there with a pretty open itinerary. We heard that we need to check out Jay Fai. We also have dinner reservations at Nahm.

Any other suggestions? Should we do a street food tour? Cooking class?
We were glad we did a street food tour of Chinatown-- the noodle soup was one of the single best dishes I've ever had (and personally I don't think I would ever have been able to order it on my own).

I'd also do one of the rooftop places for drinks, like Sirocco or Vertigo.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:15 am

Did you do the food tour as a daytime activity? Who did you do it through?
Originally Posted by Homer15
We were glad we did a street food tour of Chinatown-- the noodle soup was one of the single best dishes I've ever had (and personally I don't think I would ever have been able to order it on my own).

I'd also do one of the rooftop places for drinks, like Sirocco or Vertigo.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by JEStarr
Did you do the food tour as a daytime activity? Who did you do it through?
We did it at night. I think it was with these guys-- http://bangkokfoodtours.com/chinatown/
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
We are here now. Went to nahm last night which was amazing. Best food we have eaten all honeymoon. Headed to asiatique tonight for some street food.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by njxbean
We are here now. Went to nahm last night which was amazing. Best food we have eaten all honeymoon. Headed to asiatique tonight for some street food.
Nahm is amazing. I haven't been to Asiatique to eat, but a place that I take people who want to try authentic street food and are squeamish about the hygiene is EaThai in the basement of Central Embassy. Yeah...it's in a super high end mall, but it is a huge area with close to 100 different vendors all dedicated to serving Thai street food. You can wander around for an hour just checking out all that's on offer from every region, order what you want and it is all impeccably clean. When you enter they hand you a card that you give to each vendor as you order and then to the cashier to pay as you leave. Diners are mostly Thai.

Without question, go to Jae Fai, have the drunken noodles and the crab omelette. The amount of crab is astounding and it looks/tastes very much like Maryland blue crab backfin lump. It's one of the finest things I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

Bon appetit!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: The Embassy
Nahm was very hit and miss for us. Would highly recommend Gaggan, if you can get a recommendation. Indian-themed tasting menu on par with some of the best I've had internationally.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:23 am
rjh

Thumbs up Chili Paste Bangkok food tour

Write up from Travelfish about what seems to be an interesting food tour.

(I have no affiliation with the tour or Travelfish, other than I find Travelfish a great resource for SEAsia.)
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
did this cooking class which was amazing.

Cooking with Poo (by Helping Hands)

included a great tour of a market as well as her slum where the cooking school is located which was very cool to see. And the class was great as was the food.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by rjh
Write up from Travelfish about what seems to be an interesting food tour.

(I have no affiliation with the tour or Travelfish, other than I find Travelfish a great resource for SEAsia.)
Wow, 2500 THB !!!????

I should get into that game.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:44 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Also, if you like to cook, supermarkets in Bangkok can be a treat. Considering the steady stream of everyone going to the city, it would be difficult not to find a certain ingredient...though South America might be the trickiest.

Still, when in doubt, look for where that community has a big presence. Arab/South Indian/Ethiopian restaurants/markets are around Nana, Japanese stuff can be found at Gateway Ekkamai and Koreatown is just east of Nana. Another time, I randomly ended up at a Filipino market in the Silom 64 building by Sala Daeng.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:16 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Wow, 2500 THB !!!????

I should get into that game.
Our main man @LIH Prem was not impressed with this tour and might offer his input/critique here!

For me it was like being out on a date, there was even a tuk tuk ride from Sanam Luang to Tanon Tanao. Very laissez-faire if you will, on your own type of pace that did not introduce us to any new gems. There is no itinerary, list of restaurants, or foods that we will be consumed (ingredients) as there are some people who won't eat pork or are allergic to peanuts, seafood, etc. And, hence, the price tag was a bit steep. Maybe good for first time visitor to Bangkok or for visitors who want to be familiarized with the old part of town, its food and culture.

More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57651649295097

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.