Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
While I always liked the express service, I never really got it. .... the express train has to wait a bit after the last local train before it can leave so that it doesn't catch up to the local ahead of it. So you don't really get to Makkasan or Phaya Thai any more quickly.
If you'd just missed the local you could chase it down the line by catching the express

Otherwise I guess the exclusivity of the uncrowded Express service was its only selling point.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
Catching the last train, landing on CX0617

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
You should be through immigration in 30 mins.
I am landing at BKK on CX0617 at 23:15.

What are the chances of making the last City train at midninght?

If it is possible, what should I do to maximize my chances?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jrobin
I am landing at BKK on CX0617 at 23:15.

What are the chances of making the last City train at midninght?

If it is possible, what should I do to maximize my chances?
I would rate your chances as small. Are you in J or Y?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Anyway, if you miss the last train it is not a disaster (unless you are on a very tight budget). A taxi to downtown Bangkok is fairly cheap; should be around 350-400 THB including tolls, depending on your destination.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current published schedule shows the last train leaving the airport at exactly 00:00. I guess if everything goes well: flight arrives early, no line at Immigration, any checked bags pop out first, you know exactly where you're going, and have a token in hand by 23:55-ish, and the last train is actually running, you should be fine.

Last edited by transpac; Oct 25, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Datapoint for recent flight in the last week:
Deplaned 11:10pm at remote stand. Bus. Took approx 15 minutes to immigration
Cleared immigration (priority) with little to no lines at regular lines at 11:25pm
No checked luggage and out in arrivals area by 11:30pm

Walk fast to immigration, have no checked luggage, better if have access to priority lines, have baht ready, know which elevators to take to get to basement and your chances are good.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
My Asiana flight landed at 2250 but I still made the 2nd to last ARL train around 2336. That included changing dollars at the Super Rich exchange office next to the ticket kiosk.

When I got off at Petchaburi, subway attendants told me I could make the last 'ride' around 2350 in time to get out at Sukhumvit - which I did.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
Originally Posted by transpac
The current published schedule shows the last train leaving the airport at exactly 00:00. I guess if everything goes well: flight arrives early, no line at Immigration, any checked bags pop out first, you know exactly where you're going, and have a token in hand by 23:55-ish, and the last train is actually running, you should be fine.
Thanks for the helpful comments transpac, SK AAR, tide and kamaaina.

As it turned out, an earlier CX flight was long delayed and I was put on a direct TG flight to BKK even though it was an hour delayed also, I still landed long before 23:15.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tide
Datapoint for recent flight in the last week:
Deplaned 11:10pm at remote stand. Bus. Took approx 15 minutes to immigration
Cleared immigration (priority) with little to no lines at regular lines at 11:25pm
No checked luggage and out in arrivals area by 11:30pm

Walk fast to immigration, have no checked luggage, better if have access to priority lines, have baht ready, know which elevators to take to get to basement and your chances are good.
The good part of landing at a remote gate is that the bus takes to right to the Immigration area. No long walk. Just a hassle getting into the bus, etc.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
The good part of landing at a remote gate is that the bus takes to right to the Immigration area. No long walk. Just a hassle getting into the bus, etc.
Meh, with travelators no gate is that far from immigration and I'd much prefer to hoof it after getting off a long flight.

I'm typically around 75% bus gates in BKK and I despise it.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Meh, with travelators no gate is that far from immigration and I'd much prefer to hoof it after getting off a long flight.
That's right. Those that know how/when/why to walk fast, and can actually do so, will hate the bus - the great democratizer of immigration lines.

Stand at the opposite doors of the one you get in. Then you'd be first to get out. Board the bus (for widebodies, there are usually 2 at a time) closest to the nose of the airplane - that's the one that'll leave first.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by dsquared37

I'm typically around 75% bus gates in BKK and I despise it.
Amazing really. And it is not just domestic flights that get parked on the tarmac. Suvarnabhumi is such a huge airport, and only 10 years old. Just when you are rushing to get to the ARL before it closes, the bus slowly fills up and takes a long meandering route to the immigration entrance door.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tide
That's right. Those that know how/when/why to walk fast, and can actually do so, will hate the bus - the great democratizer of immigration lines.

Stand at the opposite doors of the one you get in. Then you'd be first to get out. Board the bus (for widebodies, there are usually 2 at a time) closest to the nose of the airplane - that's the one that'll leave first.
There are times when the first bus waits for the second to fill up and then caravan in tandem (and you just sit, parked on the tarmac with a/c hopefully working). My assumption is this occurs due to limited ground staff.

Nevertheless, despising bus gates is not simply getting to immigration quickly, because my view of them is the same for domestic or international arrivals, it's mostly about moving at my own pace.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by transpac
I think I recall the original "vision" was to have an underground link but it was never engineered, and when they went to look at boring a tunnel they quickly figured out that the cost was going to be off the charts. And they did that classic Thai thing and wedged in a ridiculous walkway. Well at least they covered it from the get-go.

As long as it is not raining - certainly not the case over the past few days here, most savvy commuters just use the street level access to the MRT/exit #3 as it is quicker/easier.
Actually, the reason why a tunnel could not be constructed - which was the original plan - is that strategic fuel pipes run underground along the SRT railway line and the govt wouldn't provide permission to tunnel under due to security concerns.

A more sensible walkway would have been direct over Kampaeng Phet 7 rd to MRT exit 3. However, the longer walkway to exit 1 involved more cost - approx US$3m.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The train has taken to a crawl along the curve entering/leaving the airport. I take it as indication the tracks' condition is worse than poor??!!!???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.