Community
Wiki Posts
Search

700 Baht "airport fee" ex-BKK!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Went out of the airport half a dozen times this year on sub-24 hour connections. Never been hit with the fee. Knowing TG it might depend on what class you're flying.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I've had to pay it flying in both C and Y. Haven't ever tried it flying F so don't know if they'd charge it for that or not, but I have the feeling it matters not which class, but rather whether the check-in agent catches it or not.

As for immigration officers and using a boarding pass issued elsewhere, I've been caught out in the general section, which TG Y passengers would use, but never at the TG fast-track area. I've tried it well over 10 times I'd estimate, so they caught it less than 10% of the time.

I've not attempted it this year (attempting to check-in with not having paid the tax and hoping the agent doesn't catch it), but last year had good luck. A couple years ago I was getting hit up for it every time I checked in. It was so regular that I got fed up with going to the check-in desk, only to have to make it over to the TG ticket office, then back to check-in, so I just went directly to the TG ticket office first to buy my coupon, then to the check-in. Wouldn't you know it, the agent didn't ask for it after I'd already bought it, and I haven't been asked for it since. So 700 THB down the drain for a never used airport tax coupon.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by 5khours
Went out of the airport half a dozen times this year on sub-24 hour connections. Never been hit with the fee. Knowing TG it might depend on what class you're flying.
All my experiences have been while in C.... Can't even remember my last Y transit, much less leaving the airport, which is good since Y pax aren't given a runner to pay (or so I'm told).

Just remembering: Once, maybe 4 years ago, SQ hit me with the tax and, if memory serves, they made me go pay it. can't remember where it was though.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Ive had to pay in F but staff take your money and buy the ticket for you. If you have gotten away with it count yourself lucky because you DO owe it.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I had it once many years ago (5 or so) when I arrived on a Thursday and connected in F on a Friday. It was less than 24 hours so the travel agent did not include any BKK tax.

The F checkin agent came by asking for the tax, which I refused to pay because of the travel agents advice. That Friday was also a public holiday so could not reach the travel agent. Explained my view and after a while I was let trough with my partner without paying the tax. I paid almost 300k thb for the 2 F tickets and found it slightly absurd that I was asked for 1400 thb tax at check-in.

Now I know better and would have paid it.

Globalist
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by 5khours
Was traveling J, had a 12 hour stopover.

If this tax is applied sporadicaly, then I might as well not contribute to the local economy and stay in the lounge, if no shorter connections...might as well skip TG !
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Had a long (14 hour) connection in BKK so I headed to the Pen for the day. Was planning to see if I got nicked for the 700 baht when I got back, but it was so nice at the Pen, I decided to stay an extra day, chucked the last segment on my award ticket and booked a new flight for the next day. I assume the 700 baht is included in the price of any ticket which originates in BKK.

P.S. Come to think of it, 700 baht is not much in the grand scheme of things.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: ROP Gold
I know of many other airports in Asia that do not charge transiting passengers who leave the airport to visit the city any taxes.

BKK is the only one I know of which does this.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anaidross
I know of many other airports in Asia that do not charge transiting passengers who leave the airport to visit the city any taxes.

BKK is the only one I know of which does this.
I'm not aware of any either.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm not aware of any either.
anywhere in Indonesia will charge AFAIK
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
anywhere in Indonesia will charge AFAIK
True, but in Indonesia pax are always paying upon departure and it's never collected within the ticket. A somewhat different twist.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
True, but in Indonesia pax are always paying upon departure and it's never collected within the ticket. A somewhat different twist.
^^^

Of course, I forgot to qualify my statement that I am talking about airports which adopt "taxes collected within the ticket" practice.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, TG Gold
I just avoided BKK tax...

It is still possible to avoid the tax on a <24hr stopover.

I was on a United 1 way J award. Syd-Sin on SQ / 14hr stop / Sin-BKK on SQ / 15hr stop / BKK-PNH on TG.

Trick was to get the first 2 boarding passes issued in Sydney. Sinagpore couldn't issue final Thai boarding pass, so I strolled out of transit area went up to Checkin B and asked for my boarding pass. One was issued, then I had a nice 14 hr stop over.

Checked my united E-ticket award. Definitely no taxes paid to AOT.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgsydney
It is still possible to avoid the tax on a <24hr stopover.

I was on a United 1 way J award. Syd-Sin on SQ / 14hr stop / Sin-BKK on SQ / 15hr stop / BKK-PNH on TG.

Trick was to get the first 2 boarding passes issued in Sydney. Sinagpore couldn't issue final Thai boarding pass, so I strolled out of transit area went up to Checkin B and asked for my boarding pass. One was issued, then I had a nice 14 hr stop over.

Checked my united E-ticket award. Definitely no taxes paid to AOT.
And for a 15 hr stop in BKK it will never be assessed by the ticketing carrier. In these cases AoT wants their money and you're supposed to be assessed at some time before exiting the country... its a tossup whether that will happen or not.

While it worked for you in this manner I don't necessarily think it's a trick. I often simply walk up to the checkin counters street-side and obtain my onward BP from them. Only once in the last 1.5 years have I been told the departure tax was due.

Also, when getting your BP at the transit desk they've always stamped my BP as 'transit' which, IMO, would make it more difficult to evade (avoid?) the fee.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF WP, DM buyer, AMEX Centurion decliner
This seems to be a complete lottery. I did transits through BKK three times where I left the airport in the last year or so and not once was I hit with the tax on checking in for the onward flight.

Two were F/F transits and one a J/J. In every case I had already been issued my onward BP at the originating airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.