Wiki Posts
Search

700 Baht "airport fee" ex-BKK!?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 7:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BinSabai
did you have the bags checked through and the boarding pass already issued before arrival
Yes to both, bags checked through & boarding passes issued prior to arrival.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:26 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
ok thanks for confirmation; that's what I thought.
therefore the statement from kiam "On your way back from Phuket (via BKK) to international, if get out of the airport (and airport tax is not already paid on your ticket), you will run a risk of paying 700 baht" is NOT correct.
Just to clarify, I raised an example depending on whether you clear immigration in Phuket or in Bangkok, there is a difference between the two scenarios. Let me share with you my experience based departure from Samui in April 2016 in case this is useful for other passengers. I have never yet departed from Phuket internationally, so I cannot say how it works in Phuket but would assume it works similarly.

1. Ticket was purchased as if I fly from Samui to Beijing (via Bangkok) without getting out of BKK. Samui international airport tax is 700 Baht (coincidentally it matches BKK - obviously a rip off) but 400 Baht if you depart domestically. If my ticket was issued as if I flew from Samui domestically and in-out of BKK airport, the Thailand tax portion would be 400 (Samui) + 700 (BKK) = 1,100 instead of only 700 Baht.
2. Despite the same flight and plane, choosing to depart internationally in Samui will go through passport control and use a different gate (international gate). If depart domestically, it will be a domestic gate, no passport control.
3. Despite my ticket calculated based on departing Samui internationally, I told check-in staff that I need to leave transit area in BKK, they said I may be asked to pay additional tax in BKK, I said no problem. My boarding pass was issued to allow me to depart domestically from Samui instead of internationally, thus no passport control. They would not issue my BKK-PEK boarding pass and said I can only obtain it in Bangkok since I chose to not depart internationally from Samui. This restriction is fair as it is their mitigating control. I didn't want to take a risk on departing internationally form Samui and sneaked out of BKK terminal and get back in as my passport would have been scanned already in Samui.
4. When getting a new boarding pass in BKK, I was asked to pay the difference (meaning since I already paid 700, I have to pay 400 baht more).

Old May 9, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
OK - my 5c worth of wisdom. In the past, I had few times (5) long layover in BKK, between 9-15 hours. I went to Novotel and when I came back I was asked to pay 700BHT (or whatever it was then) three times and was let through two times. Neither time it was included on the ticket because each time it was INT-INT.
I have booked another trip like this, to be exact VIE-BKK-MEL for this July flying OS25 & OS8635 (TG465). This connection has 9 hours layover and OS is providing free accommodation for me. They gave me choice - Loui's Tavern completely free to me, or Novotel plus 700BHT paid by me (and another 700 by my wife who flies with me)... So it appears very clear to me that if one clears immigration on INT-INT connection, then the tax is due.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kiam
Just to clarify, I raised an example depending on whether you clear immigration in Phuket or in Bangkok, there is a difference between the two scenarios. Let me share with you my experience based departure from Samui in April 2016 in case this is useful for other passengers. I have never yet departed from Phuket internationally, so I cannot say how it works in Phuket but would assume it works similarly.

1. Ticket was purchased as if I fly from Samui to Beijing (via Bangkok) without getting out of BKK. Samui international airport tax is 700 Baht (coincidentally it matches BKK - obviously a rip off) but 400 Baht if you depart domestically. If my ticket was issued as if I flew from Samui domestically and in-out of BKK airport, the Thailand tax portion would be 400 (Samui) + 700 (BKK) = 1,100 instead of only 700 Baht.
2. Despite the same flight and plane, choosing to depart internationally in Samui will go through passport control and use a different gate (international gate). If depart domestically, it will be a domestic gate, no passport control.
3. Despite my ticket calculated based on departing Samui internationally, I told check-in staff that I need to leave transit area in BKK, they said I may be asked to pay additional tax in BKK, I said no problem. My boarding pass was issued to allow me to depart domestically from Samui instead of internationally, thus no passport control. They would not issue my BKK-PEK boarding pass and said I can only obtain it in Bangkok since I chose to not depart internationally from Samui. This restriction is fair as it is their mitigating control. I didn't want to take a risk on departing internationally form Samui and sneaked out of BKK terminal and get back in as my passport would have been scanned already in Samui.
4. When getting a new boarding pass in BKK, I was asked to pay the difference (meaning since I already paid 700, I have to pay 400 baht more).
thanks and sorry, kiam!

a case of amazing Thailand and rip off?
Old May 10, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me share with you my experience based departure from Samui in April 2016

For what it may be worth, USM (Koh Samui) is privately owned/operated, and NOT by AoT, so suspect they can charge any sorts of fees they think the local market can absorb? Further, any fees would NOT cover those associated with SBIA/BKK.

AoT operate Thailands six international airports: BKK, DMK, CNX, CEI, HKT, HDY.

The DoA/MoT operate provincial airports.

The Royal Thai Navy operates U-Tapao (UTP).
Old May 15, 2016, 7:51 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
thanks and sorry, kiam!

a case of amazing Thailand and rip off?
I love Samui or airport tax would never change my mind the calculation was correct by TG, so it was my duty to pay those taxes.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Can someone please describe the process for what happens when the immigration officer decides you have to pay the fee. Is it a separate counter, do they only accept Thai Baht etc. How much time does it take (I will be in the premium line as in Business class if that makes a difference)

Thank you
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Can someone please describe the process for what happens when the immigration officer decides you have to pay the fee. Is it a separate counter, do they only accept Thai Baht etc. How much time does it take (I will be in the premium line as in Business class if that makes a difference)

Thank you
I've never had an immi agent say anything to me, only a check in agent. In that situation I've been directed to a particular counter to pay the 700 baht (only baht, only cash) and the receipt is then shown to the check in agent for the BP to be printed.

If in TG C/F then a runner will take care of it for you.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
I fly on a monthly basis INT to BKK and domestic to HKT. and back from HKT to BKK and continue INT.
I use Thai and Turkish both ways.
When arriving international in BKK i do immigration in BKK and stay 1 or 2 days in BKK, Next day fly from BKK to HKT.
From HKT i fly domestic to BKK (have one ticket to my international airport but i don't like to do immigration at HKT) and at BKK i check-in again for my INT flight.
As i never have checked luggage this is not a issue for me or the airline and the ticket is purchased out Thailand via a agency.
I never had to pay any airport tax.
Maybe the tax is included in my ticket i don't have any idea how to check this.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by merijn
I fly on a monthly basis INT to BKK and domestic to HKT. and back from HKT to BKK and continue INT.
I use Thai and Turkish both ways.
When arriving international in BKK i do immigration in BKK and stay 1 or 2 days in BKK, Next day fly from BKK to HKT.
From HKT i fly domestic to BKK (have one ticket to my international airport but i don't like to do immigration at HKT) and at BKK i check-in again for my INT flight.
As i never have checked luggage this is not a issue for me or the airline and the ticket is purchased out Thailand via a agency.
I never had to pay any airport tax.
Maybe the tax is included in my ticket i don't have any idea how to check this.
do you mean IST (Istanbul) instead of INT
I think domestic tickets are something different and there the airport tax is charged anyway whether you transit or not
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: *G, LO SEN, Shangri-la Diamond
I did connect in BKK last week, with 8h+ layover time. I did have luggage checked in to my ultimate destination and all boarding passes printed.

There was no problem to get out of the airport or to get back in as well. Nobody asked any questions, no airport tax paid.

I think that the differentiating factor is having the boarding card for your next connection available, so that you do not need to visit the check-in counter in BKK.

Even if you don't get it at your first airport, it may be OK to get one from the transfer desk in BKK and then leave the airport, but that I haven't checked.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Is this still a thing? I just called TG and they said you only pay if you stay landside for more than 24 hrs, but that doesn't seem to match the DPs on here.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Is this still a thing? I just called TG and they said you only pay if you stay landside for more than 24 hrs, but that doesn't seem to match the DPs on here.
situation is still the same
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
This article (don't know how correct and up-to-date it is) suggests that it is possible to get exemption for stays under 12 hours.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:47 am

I like to share my experience.

Last year when I travel Y and had a transit in BKK within 24 hours, I left the airport and pull over a night in the city, upon check in at BKK next morning i was told to pay the 700 baht tax before I could check in. I was a new ROP member back then.

The next month I flew C and had a similar transit, no question ask at C check in.

Then the rest of the year I was traveling C and always have a night in BKK all within 24 hours and not being asked for the tax.

In Dec I received my ROP gold.

Last week flew Y and again transit with one night stay in BKK, check in at ROP gold counter and I was expecting to pay the tax if they ask, and they didn't.

So I think this has do with your class of travel and your ROP status if you transit BKK, can't print your onward flight's boarding pass from origin as connection is more than 12 hours, and you wish to leave the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.