Community
Wiki Posts
Search

700 Baht "airport fee" ex-BKK!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: ROP
I guess the big discussion here is not the 700 Baht tax. It is how does one beat the system.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Yobodon
I guess the big discussion here is not the 700 Baht tax. It is how does one beat the system.
Conversely I believe the message from all this is how hit and miss collection is: The system beats itself.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:55 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I deleted numerous posts from this thread for being off-topic and argumentative. Please remember to stick to the topic and to avoid personal attacks.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dgsydney
It is still possible to avoid the tax on a <24hr stopover.

I was on a United 1 way J award. Syd-Sin on SQ / 14hr stop / Sin-BKK on SQ / 15hr stop / BKK-PNH on TG.

Trick was to get the first 2 boarding passes issued in Sydney. Sinagpore couldn't issue final Thai boarding pass, so I strolled out of transit area went up to Checkin B and asked for my boarding pass. One was issued, then I had a nice 14 hr stop over.

Checked my united E-ticket award. Definitely no taxes paid to AOT.
But isn't the official policy to charge the fee if the passenger leaves the airport?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by fly747first
But isn't the official policy to charge the fee if the passenger leaves the airport?
the official policy is:
you have to pay in any case that you will leave the transit area!
But: it is supposed to be collected by the airline upon ticketing.
And since the CRS suppose every stay at BKK for less than 24 hrs as a "transit" and not automatically a stopover (unless it has been intentionally become a "forced stopover") you won't be charged automatically.
And that makes it extremely difficult for TG airport staff at BKK to check, verify and duly collect the money afterwards.
One clear sign for airport staff is when I start in Munich, have got a boarding pass for BKK-RGN issued by LH (their local check in agent in MUC) and leave BKK airport during my nearly 5 hrs "transit" in BKK.
I have always been charged in BKK upon walking through security, because I have been easily "identified" by my LH boarding pass .... If you were checked in by TG staff somewhere and have obtained an original TG boarding pass for the connecting flight they might not have checked where this specific boarding pass had been issued and thus believe that you checked in at BKK and that the TS taxes have been properly collected iby your ticket......
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I deleted numerous posts from this thread for being off-topic and argumentative. Please remember to stick to the topic and to avoid personal attacks.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Thank you.

Originally Posted by fly747first
That is what I was told. (Dec 13)
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
Thank you.

Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I respect your right to disagree.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 23, 2013 at 10:55 am Reason: See l'etoile's request in post 33
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: QF WP, DM buyer, AMEX Centurion decliner
We flew FRA-BKK-MEL in J in mid-July and had a 16 hour stopover on the way back so we chose to leave the airport.

On checking back in we were not charged the departure tax but we did already have boarding passes for BKK-MEL on Thai paper issued in FRA.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Flew through BKK in July twice in July on a US DM reward. left the airport both times for layover (one overnight, one for 6 hours) & didnt get charged either time.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
the official policy is:
you have to pay in any case that you will leave the transit area!
But: it is supposed to be collected by the airline upon ticketing.
i am not sure that's entirely correct. i don't believe it's thai policy to collect airport fees on -24 hr tickets as (right or wrong) they assume you're in transit.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Originally Posted by aislealways
i am not sure that's entirely correct. i don't believe it's thai policy to collect airport fees on -24 hr tickets as (right or wrong) they assume you're in transit.
I have a ticket that has a 16 hr layover. from tg492 to 916. in the taxation breakdown I can see that TS has been collected. is there a given ruel? for me this is easy as I plan an overnight in the novotel. maybe the folk who have not been charged at re-checkin after the layover have also already had TS collected but without actually knowing it.

as a possible point of difference this ticket was issed on 086 stock.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aislealways
You're only considered in transit so long as you stay airside. Once you enter the Kingdom through immigration you are now expected to pay the departure tax.... although it's not very hit and miss at being enforced and collected.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:15 am

clipping path

Nice Post ! thanks for sharing such a great article ,thanks a lot...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I overheard someone complaining to the check in agent that the transfer desk couldn't print his BP so he had to head landside to get it done. The agent looked confused and eventually let him go but not before saying "I can't guarantee next time allow this"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.