Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Disappearing Dom

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by BKKROP
That is what I call premium flying. I like Krug and Bolly, so with my flying I choose the airline with it "on tap", no problems to date
'On-tap' - I like it!

Originally Posted by Mr H
Really? That's the equivalent of a bottle of whisky. Either you were paralytic or you have a serious drink problem.
That's over a period of 10 or so hours...! Are 3 botltes really equivalent to one bottle of whiskey?! Had never really thought about it!

Either way, I've been known to partake in a bottle or few - no problems!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Really? That's the equivalent of a bottle of whisky. Either you were paralytic or you have a serious drink problem.
I wouldn't say so, I've drunk double that on numerous SQ flights between Europe and SIN. SQ being the best option for such behaviour as at least you know they have that amount on board.

I am sure he will also tell us he's also done that, and more probably, as he seems to have a strange affection for telling people how much he can drink.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I wouldn't say so, I've drunk double that on numerous SQ flights between Europe and SIN. SQ being the best option for such behaviour as at least you know they have that amount on board.

I am sure he will also tell us he's also done that, and more probably, as he seems to have a strange affection for telling people how much he can drink.
Quite right!
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
That's over a period of 10 or so hours...! Are 3 botltes really equivalent to one bottle of whiskey?! Had never really thought about it!
I've just run the data through a Blood Alcohol Calculator - which can only ever give an approximate answer - and I worked out that I would have a blood alcohol level of 0.24% after drinking three bottles of Dom in 10 hours.

According to Wikipedia - that universal source of truth - the effects of blood alcohol from 0.1% - 0.2% are:
  • Over-Expression
  • Emotional Swings
  • Angry or Sad
  • Boisterous
  • Impaired Reaction Time
  • Impaired Gross Motor Control
  • Staggering
  • Slurred Speech

Now that's the level below where I would have been - but if you are a big man, you might have snuck into the top end of that range.

I would have been bang in the middle of 0.2% - 0.3%, the effects of which are:
  • Stupor
  • Loss of Understanding
  • Impaired Sensations
  • Severe Motor Impairment
  • Loss of Consciousness
  • Memory Blackout

Beyond 0.3%, you start to risk the possibility of death.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:58 am

I've just run the data through a Blood Alcohol Calculator - which can only ever give an approximate answer - and I worked out that I would have a blood alcohol level of 0.24% after drinking three bottles of Dom in 10 hours.

According to Wikipedia - that universal source of truth - the effects of blood alcohol from 0.1% - 0.2% are:
  • Over-Expression
  • Emotional Swings
  • Angry or Sad
  • Boisterous
  • Impaired Reaction Time
  • Staggering
  • Slurred Speech

Now that's the level below where I would have been - but if you are a big man, you might have snuck into the top end of that range.

I would have been bang in the middle of 0.2% - 0.3%, the effects of which are:
  • Stupor
  • Loss of Understanding
  • Impaired Sensations
  • Severe Motor Impairment
  • Loss of Consciousness
  • Memory Blackout

Beyond 0.3%, you start to risk the possibility of death.
Interesting statistics.

In my case, I'm 170 lbs and very athletic - with less than 6% body fat. I also have the fastest metabolism imaginable, and consume on average 5-6 full meals per day.

I typically only drink about 5-7 glasses of wine per week, but on longhaul F flights, the sky's the limit. I am also extremely lucid and do some of my best creative work with an endless glass of Dom next to my laptop. My record is 7.5 bottles of Dom on SQ from LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK over 32 hours.

But the true test of being totally coherent is when on most of my longhauls, the FAs hang-out with me and have in-depth discussions about international politics - while they politely insist that I have yet another glass of champagne.

And I must be doing something right, because many FAs have presented me with a complimentary bottle of champagne in a duty-free bag as a lovely parting gift.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by macabus
But the true test of being totally coherent is when on most of my longhauls, the FAs hang-out with me and have in-depth discussions about international politics - while they politely insist that I have yet another glass of champagne.

And I must be doing something right, because many FAs have presented me with a complimentary bottle of champagne in a duty-free bag as a lovely parting gift.
I'm sure it didn't hurt that
I'm 170 lbs and very athletic - with less than 6% body fat.

I think you should encourage TG FAs to encourage F pax to rebel against the disappearing Dom.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:27 am

You know they have enjoyed having you on the flight when you leave with a bottle for the road! Has happened to me too...! ^

Originally Posted by jjpb3
I think you should encourage TG FAs to encourage F pax to rebel against the disappearing Dom.
We should all rally! Power in numbers!

Cheers,

Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:22 am

I flew LHR-BKK-LHR in F in the last 2 weeks and there was no shortage of Dom and never a delay in refilling my glass nor did I see any other brand of champagne. The pre-takeoff drink was Dom.

I switched to chilled vodka to chase down my two helpings of caviar on each flight.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: BA*G
Originally Posted by jimmac
I flew LHR-BKK-LHR in F in the last 2 weeks and there was no shortage of Dom and never a delay in refilling my glass nor did I see any other brand of champagne. The pre-takeoff drink was Dom.

I switched to chilled vodka to chase down my two helpings of caviar on each flight.
Wish I could say the same. Maybe you were guys that emptied the load of the good stuff and my leg ended up with the dregs?

However I did receive a good dollop of caviar and the preordered lobster was very good. The cheeseboard has gone up a notch since my last flight... but still missing the elusive truffle camanbert from a few years back.

And what ever happened to the frosted shot glass to serve the vodka? It was a nice touch that seems to have disappeared from the caviar service.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:54 pm

To support "Dom" you should all wear champagne shirts.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jimmac

Fabulous - sounds like a perfect flight! ^

Don't tell Mr H.

Cheers,

Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: SPANAIR GOLD, IBERIA GOLD, SPG GOLD
Fantastic return flight BKK-MAD. Only 2 pax in F. DOM was served after takeoff (but Moët in the class room). And wonderful trufle cheese with mushrooms is back. It's more like I liked it so much, the stewardess wrapped the piece left me and to take home.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:53 am

• Over-Expression
  • Emotional Swings
  • Angry or Sad
  • Boisterous
  • Impaired Reaction Time
  • Staggering
  • Slurred Speech
But..... to quote Ali G..... are there any negative effects?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:39 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
LHR-BKK this week and it was Dom all the way. No Bolly to be seen. Happy days.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NoY
LHR-BKK this week and it was Dom all the way. No Bolly to be seen. Happy days.
Thank God! I'm flying on thurs and I really was gettin' scared! Certainly don't want to miss the DOM!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.