Reload this Page >

DFW - Dallas Ft Worth flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
DFW / Dallas - Ft. Worth International Airport Connections (master thread)

Link to DFW airport website

See AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth Int. Airport & MCT / Connection (master thread) (AA hub airport guide in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum for expanded information).

NOTE: DFW Terminal Renewal and Improvement Program (TRIP): DFW is undergoing a fairly extensive terminals refurbishment program, and parts of terminals A, B and E have been under construction/ refurbishment, as are some parking garages, so changes in security screening, etc. are common. See here for further information and updates.

DFW all Terminals , SkyLink and DART Exit Map

Animal Relief Areas: Terminals A, B, C - Lower level grassy areas.
Terminal D - Lower level, outside the D30/D31 Baggage Claim area. Cross the roadway to the parking garage.

DFW is a fairly easy airport to connect though. If you have any difficulty, look around for kiosks / booths staffed by volunteer Ambassadors - they can usually be spotted wearing "ten gallon" cowboy hats.

.. ..
DFW Ambasadors - look for the "Ask Me" button

The skylink train connects all terminals airside (once one has passed through security). Ten minutes between gates is possible, even in different terminals. "Skylink’s bi-directional system connects all five terminals and is the shortest route to your stop while inside security."
  • Free service
  • Trains arrive every two minutes
  • Average ride time of five minutes
  • Maximum ride time of nine minutes between farthest points
  • Easy access to other terminals’ shops and restaurants

Can be boarded or disembarked at:
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D: Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E: Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32
NOTE: If you arrive from an international airport without US Customs and Immigration Pre-Clearance, even if connecting international to international, you will have to process through US Customs and Border Protection Immigration (Global Entry kiosks are available), recover your luggage at the indicated carousel, pass through U S Customs (Global Entry queue, e-passport visa waiver kiosks and express lane for people with GE and carry-on baggage only available), turn your luggage in at the luggage return counters before you exit. Then you will have to process TSA Security again, so you will need your boarding pass and identification.

(Note bottles of duty free liquor larger than 3.4 ounce / 100 ml bottle by volume will be confiscated, UNLESS they are enclosed in a Duty Free STEB (Sealed Tamper Evident Bag) with bottle visible and receipt inside visible or at least at hand as of early 2014.)

If you're not sure what you need to visit the US, use this page for TimaticWeb, which is what your airline probably uses. If you need an ESTA (Electronic System Travel Authorization), see here; ESTA and US Visa Waiver FAQ here. ESTA costs USD $14; you can get it online form the link here, and do not have to pay an intermediary a processing fee (e.g. TraVisa charges $39 for their services plus the $14).

The terminal link system (vans and busses) connect terminals land side (outside security).
  • Free service
  • No ticket or pass of any kind is needed to board
  • Van pick-up between the hours of 5 a.m. and midnight
  • To request van pick-up between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m., call 972 574 LINK (5465)
  • All vans are wheelchair accessible

Two, easy-to-locate green pick-up/drop-off areas are located outside bag claim areas of each terminal. Follow the Terminal Link signs to reach the nearest pick-up/drop-off area:
  • Terminal A: Between A15 and A16 and between A25 and A26
  • Terminal B: Between B12 and B13 and at B23
  • Terminal C: Between C12 and C15 and between C24 and C27
  • Terminal D: At D17 and at D24
  • Terminal E: Between E9 and E13 and between E18 and E21
Lounges:
  • American Airlines Admirals Club - A24, B5, C20, D24. (A24 has the best showers and a small gym.)
  • American Express Centurion - D17
  • British Airways First and Business Lounges - D21
  • Delta Sky Club - E10
  • Korean Air Lounge - D21
  • Lufthansa Lounge - D21
  • Priority Pass - D21 (The Club at DFW)
  • Qantas Lounge - D21
  • Qatar Lounge - D21
  • The Club at DFW - D21
  • The United Club - E7
On Airport Hotels (outside of security)
  • Hyatt Regency - Adjacent to Terminal C
  • Grand Hyatt - Terminal D
  • Minute Suites (hourly rental private microsuites) - D23 (Link) (coming to Terminal A)

Many nearby hotels offer free van transportation to / from DFW.

(Don't forget to ask for a "distressed traveler rate" if you are stuck at DFW because you missed your connection, your flight was cancelled, etc. You can get a distressed traveler voucher from your airline, but you can often get it from a hotel if you cal land can present proof of delay, etc. upon check-in.)

Link to Terminals/Connections page

Link to Connections Guide downloadable PDF

Link to Terminals and Amenities page 1 (links to terminals guides)

Link to DFW Flight Information page

Link to main DFW International Airport website.

FT thread: DART light rail to downtown opens station at DFW 8 Aug 2014 thread link

FT thread: DFW has modified two gates at Terminal D to accept the A380; I took QF A380 to SYD Nov 2014. thread link.

FT thread: Thieves targeting cars parked at DFW thread link.

Updated March 2016, JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

DFW - Dallas Ft Worth flight connections

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 10:22 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Hi, quick question. I am flying BA into DFW and connecting to Canada on a BA codeshare on AA.

It is not clear to me what this means (not is there anything on my BA manage my Booking) in terms of connections, so do I still need to enter the USA and collect my bags and check in again?

I am concerned because (though I have 1 hour 50 mins between flights, there are stories in the BBC News about very long delays due to lack of TSA staff.
Some airports have been hit worse than others - not sure about DFW, but it has not been on national news like Newark and Chicago.

SOP for flights connecting in US is to enter the country via Immigration and then Customs with your checked luggage. There is normally a belt for checked luggage where you drop off your bag BEFORE you exit to nonsecure area .

BA should be able to check you in and give you a BP for AA flight before you board your flight, though flying into Canada may complicate it a bit. In other words, since it's a flight to Canada, this may not be possible, but I'm no expert on that.

If you do not have a BP you would have to get one in nonsecure area before you can go through security, in which case you would possibly have to show your passport to someone.

Not familiar with AA as much as UA - with UA the automatic passport readers at kiosks don't normally work IME.

Unless things are REALLY bad you should be able to make your connection.

If not, AA will put you on next plane that has seats - if that is next day, you will have to find a place to stay at your own expense.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Hi, quick question. I am flying BA into DFW and connecting to Canada on a BA codeshare on AA.

It is not clear to me what this means (not is there anything on my BA manage my Booking) in terms of connections, so do I still need to enter the USA and collect my bags and check in again?

I am concerned because (though I have 1 hour 50 mins between flights, there are stories in the BBC News about very long delays due to lack of TSA staff.

Any insights/help much appreciated.
EDIT: emailkid posted before I sent this, so here's additional information to his excellent information:

There is no "sterile" transit channel in any US airport.

Therefore, you need to do the following upon landing in DFW (Terminal D):

1. Clear US immigration

2. Pick up your checked bags

3. Clear Customs

4. Immediately after customs, you are in an area with special counters (belts) at which you drop your checked bags. Since the bags were tagged in LHR with the Canadian city as the final destination, nothing else needs to be done to the checked bags besides dropping them.

5. Exit - you are now in Terminal D landside.

6. Make your way to TSA checkpoint and clear that security check.

7. You are now in Terminal D airside. Find the gate for your flight to Canada. If in Terminal D go directly to the gate.

8. If the Canada flight is leaving from any other terminal, head for the elevated Sky Train to get to your terminal. The train is fast and it is completely airside.

9. Passport will be checked when you board the Canada flight (this verifies that you have valid docmentation to enter Canada).

Good luck and safe travels!

Last edited by Non-NonRev; May 21, 2016 at 11:35 am
Old May 23, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Any insights/help much appreciated.
If the line at the checkpoint looks bad, you may do better by walking just a minute or two to the next checkpoint over. See this thread starting at post 326.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...thread-22.html
Old May 26, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Thank you EmailKid , Non-NonRev and swag.

I feel much happier now, it is much clearer. ^
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Looking to connect through DFW on AA: LAS-DFW-AUS
LAS-DFW AA0420 (arrives 15:44)
DFW-AUS AA2482 (departs 17:42)

I've got plenty of time for a domestic connection. Is there likely to be a terminal change required?
I could have opted for a 50min connection, but chickened out as I have never been through DFW before.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by mikem004
I've got plenty of time for a domestic connection. Is there likely to be a terminal change required?
I could have opted for a 50min connection, but chickened out as I have never been through DFW before.
Since AA is located in several terminals, always a good chance to have to change terminals.

Skytrain is easy to navigate and quick, so you would have been most likely OK with 50 minute connection even with a terminal change, but with longer connection you can plane watch, people watch or get something to eat. The new terminal has quite a few choices.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mikem004
Looking to connect through DFW on AA: LAS-DFW-AUS
LAS-DFW AA0420 (arrives 15:44)
DFW-AUS AA2482 (departs 17:42)

American operates out of three terminals at DFW (four if American Eagle flights are taken into consideration). With the Skylink trains you can easily get between any two terminals in under 10 minutes, including wait and ride times.

MCT for American Airlines passengers at DFW is 40 minutes.

Take a look at the wiki in this thread:
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Thanks for the replies.
Looks like I just need to watch out on the monitors for the gate and terminal for DFW-AUS. Then just hop on the Skylink.
DFW-AUS is just a short hop, anyway.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:35 pm

Hello!

Im looking to book these flights,
Will they meet the MCT?

I read somewhere it was 50 minutes D->I flight and Canada counts as a domestic flight!
YYZ-DFW AC 12.45-2.59 PM
DFW-FRA LH 3.50PM

Correct?
Old May 8, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by jz123

I read somewhere it was 50 minutes D->I flight and Canada counts as a domestic flight!
YYZ-DFW AC 12.45-2.59 PM
DFW-FRA LH 3.50PM

Correct?
Do not know MCT, but will tell you for Int'l that is pretty close

If you arrive on time you should be OK, but DFW is a large airport and it has taken 10 minutes to taxi to the gate. AC is in Term E, and I will guess LH in Term D, the Int'l Terminal.

Make sure you get on the correct direction of SkyTrain or you will circle the entire airport.

And I assume LH goes with T30 cutoff - if you are not at the gate 30 min before departure time and flight is oversold they are entitled to offload you - even if you get to gate 15 minutes prior to published time. THAT part does not fall under domestic, but Int'l rules @:-)

But if all goes well, more than doable. Even better if on a single ticket - I would never try this on separate tickets.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Do not know MCT, but will tell you for Int'l that is pretty close

If you arrive on time you should be OK, but DFW is a large airport and it has taken 10 minutes to taxi to the gate. AC is in Term E, and I will guess LH in Term D, the Int'l Terminal.

Make sure you get on the correct direction of SkyTrain or you will circle the entire airport.

And I assume LH goes with T30 cutoff - if you are not at the gate 30 min before departure time and flight is oversold they are entitled to offload you - even if you get to gate 15 minutes prior to published time. THAT part does not fall under domestic, but Int'l rules @:-)

But if all goes well, more than doable. Even better if on a single ticket - I would never try this on separate tickets.
Thanks!

Ofcourse it's a single ticket
And my LH flight is in First class as well!

But does a flight from YYZ counts as a domestic->International flight MCT-wise?
Old May 8, 2017, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jz123
But does a flight from YYZ counts as a domestic->International flight MCT-wise?
If they will issue you a ticket for this itinerary, you should be OK.

Since you clear immigration and customs checks at YYZ before boarding your flight to the US, your YYZ-DFW flight should be treated as a domestic arrival. I-I and I-D connections require extra time because of the need to pass through immigration and customs between arrival and departure which you will not have to do.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A friend is doing International-Domestic transfer at DFW. I'm meeting him at DFW for the domestic flight. Where is the best place to meet him? It's his first solo flight so I want to meet him as soon as it's possible.

Once he (re)drops his bags after customs, does he stay airside on a flights connection route, or does he have to exit? If he has to exit, I figure I'll meet him at International arrivals.

Our flight is out of terminal B, will I be able to go through security at terminal D and take the skylink if that's where we are?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pocalypse

Once he (re)drops his bags after customs, does he stay airside on a flights connection route, or does he have to exit? If he has to exit, I figure I'll meet him at International arrivals.

Our flight is out of terminal B, will I be able to go through security at terminal D and take the skylink if that's where we are?
You always have to exit after an Int'l arrival, so yes, that is the first place you can meet, and also probably most logical.

Yes, you can enter security at any terminal - used to enter A from Orange Line light rail and SkyLink to E. Once you are past security, you can roam the whole airport
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You always have to exit after an Int'l arrival, so yes, that is the first place you can meet, and also probably most logical.

Yes, you can enter security at any terminal - used to enter A from Orange Line light rail and SkyLink to E. Once you are past security, you can roam the whole airport
Great, thanks very much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.