Reload this Page >

DFW - Dallas Ft Worth flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
DFW / Dallas - Ft. Worth International Airport Connections (master thread)

Link to DFW airport website

See AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth Int. Airport & MCT / Connection (master thread) (AA hub airport guide in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum for expanded information).

NOTE: DFW Terminal Renewal and Improvement Program (TRIP): DFW is undergoing a fairly extensive terminals refurbishment program, and parts of terminals A, B and E have been under construction/ refurbishment, as are some parking garages, so changes in security screening, etc. are common. See here for further information and updates.

DFW all Terminals , SkyLink and DART Exit Map

Animal Relief Areas: Terminals A, B, C - Lower level grassy areas.
Terminal D - Lower level, outside the D30/D31 Baggage Claim area. Cross the roadway to the parking garage.

DFW is a fairly easy airport to connect though. If you have any difficulty, look around for kiosks / booths staffed by volunteer Ambassadors - they can usually be spotted wearing "ten gallon" cowboy hats.

.. ..
DFW Ambasadors - look for the "Ask Me" button

The skylink train connects all terminals airside (once one has passed through security). Ten minutes between gates is possible, even in different terminals. "Skylink’s bi-directional system connects all five terminals and is the shortest route to your stop while inside security."
  • Free service
  • Trains arrive every two minutes
  • Average ride time of five minutes
  • Maximum ride time of nine minutes between farthest points
  • Easy access to other terminals’ shops and restaurants

Can be boarded or disembarked at:
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D: Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E: Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32
NOTE: If you arrive from an international airport without US Customs and Immigration Pre-Clearance, even if connecting international to international, you will have to process through US Customs and Border Protection Immigration (Global Entry kiosks are available), recover your luggage at the indicated carousel, pass through U S Customs (Global Entry queue, e-passport visa waiver kiosks and express lane for people with GE and carry-on baggage only available), turn your luggage in at the luggage return counters before you exit. Then you will have to process TSA Security again, so you will need your boarding pass and identification.

(Note bottles of duty free liquor larger than 3.4 ounce / 100 ml bottle by volume will be confiscated, UNLESS they are enclosed in a Duty Free STEB (Sealed Tamper Evident Bag) with bottle visible and receipt inside visible or at least at hand as of early 2014.)

If you're not sure what you need to visit the US, use this page for TimaticWeb, which is what your airline probably uses. If you need an ESTA (Electronic System Travel Authorization), see here; ESTA and US Visa Waiver FAQ here. ESTA costs USD $14; you can get it online form the link here, and do not have to pay an intermediary a processing fee (e.g. TraVisa charges $39 for their services plus the $14).

The terminal link system (vans and busses) connect terminals land side (outside security).
  • Free service
  • No ticket or pass of any kind is needed to board
  • Van pick-up between the hours of 5 a.m. and midnight
  • To request van pick-up between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m., call 972 574 LINK (5465)
  • All vans are wheelchair accessible

Two, easy-to-locate green pick-up/drop-off areas are located outside bag claim areas of each terminal. Follow the Terminal Link signs to reach the nearest pick-up/drop-off area:
  • Terminal A: Between A15 and A16 and between A25 and A26
  • Terminal B: Between B12 and B13 and at B23
  • Terminal C: Between C12 and C15 and between C24 and C27
  • Terminal D: At D17 and at D24
  • Terminal E: Between E9 and E13 and between E18 and E21
Lounges:
  • American Airlines Admirals Club - A24, B5, C20, D24. (A24 has the best showers and a small gym.)
  • American Express Centurion - D17
  • British Airways First and Business Lounges - D21
  • Delta Sky Club - E10
  • Korean Air Lounge - D21
  • Lufthansa Lounge - D21
  • Priority Pass - D21 (The Club at DFW)
  • Qantas Lounge - D21
  • Qatar Lounge - D21
  • The Club at DFW - D21
  • The United Club - E7
On Airport Hotels (outside of security)
  • Hyatt Regency - Adjacent to Terminal C
  • Grand Hyatt - Terminal D
  • Minute Suites (hourly rental private microsuites) - D23 (Link) (coming to Terminal A)

Many nearby hotels offer free van transportation to / from DFW.

(Don't forget to ask for a "distressed traveler rate" if you are stuck at DFW because you missed your connection, your flight was cancelled, etc. You can get a distressed traveler voucher from your airline, but you can often get it from a hotel if you cal land can present proof of delay, etc. upon check-in.)

Link to Terminals/Connections page

Link to Connections Guide downloadable PDF

Link to Terminals and Amenities page 1 (links to terminals guides)

Link to DFW Flight Information page

Link to main DFW International Airport website.

FT thread: DART light rail to downtown opens station at DFW 8 Aug 2014 thread link

FT thread: DFW has modified two gates at Terminal D to accept the A380; I took QF A380 to SYD Nov 2014. thread link.

FT thread: Thieves targeting cars parked at DFW thread link.

Updated March 2016, JDiver

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

I've moved the updated contents of this introductory post on DFW to the wiki for ease of updating.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 14, 2014 at 9:48 pm Reason: add / update
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:09 pm

DFW connections - QF to UA

Hi all,
I will be flying SYD-DFW-ORD .
I am flying Qantas to Dallas Fort worth terminal D, arriving at 13.45

I then need to get UA3751 at 16.00 from Terminal E.

I am not a frequent, and a bit of a nervous, traveller. So I hoped you might be able to answer the following.

1. What is the procedure if you miss a connecting flight? For example your first flight is late, you get delayed at customs/immigration/security or simply get lost!

2. I understand I collect my bag at customs in Dallas, will I then be able to recheck it when I go through customs, or do I need to go somewhere else?

3.I have read that there is a skytrain between terminals, and also a shuttle van. Am I right in thinking I want the skytrain, unless for some reason I can't recheck my baggage (in what circumstance would that happen).

At sydney will my bag be checked all the way through to ORD?

Any other advice for a smooth trip is always appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by findingnemo1234
Hi all,

I am not a frequent, and a bit of a nervous, traveller. So I hoped you might be able to answer the following.

1. What is the procedure if you miss a connecting flight? For example your first flight is late, you get delayed at customs/immigration/security or simply get lost!

2. I understand I collect my bag at customs in Dallas, will I then be able to recheck it when I go through customs, or do I need to go somewhere else?

3.I have read that there is a skytrain between terminals, and also a shuttle van. Am I right in thinking I want the skytrain, unless for some reason I can't recheck my baggage (in what circumstance would that happen).

Thanks
Edited my original response after I re-read and saw you're connecting to a UA flight. Are you on two separate reservations?

Last edited by thom1033; Mar 28, 2014 at 8:03 pm
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the AA forum, and you're not flying AA. Can I suggest that this be moved to the QF or UA forum, i.e. the ones for the airlines you're flying?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by thom1033
Edited my original response after I re-read and saw you're connecting to a UA flight. Are you on two separate reservations?
If on separate reservations then findingnemo1234 is taking a big risk.

It a large risk, even if on the one reservation IMHO.
  • Land
  • get to immigration
  • queue up
  • immigration processing
  • down to baggage hall
  • collect baggage
  • queue up
  • pass through customs
  • recheck any baggage for UA flight
  • head back airside through security
  • take train to E
  • hope the flight has not closed
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi all,

Thanks
Hopefully your questions are largely answered up in the first post. But:

1) You might ask the United Airlines folks to add a note in your PNR record that you will be connecting from QF (flight number). Hopefully, if things go upside down UA will then note you arrived late and will arrange (at the United Ticket Counter at Terminal E or if you can call and notify them before you miss the flight).

I don't think you will get lost. Just keep calm and look for the signage and you can even print out a connections guide form the link in the first post, so you can have it for reference. You could get delayed:

2) You will, as indicated above, have to pass through Immigration, assuming you have the required documentation. This can take some time if there are several international arrivals, longer yet if you are not a US citizen or resident. Welcome to America!

Retrieve your luggage at the proper bag carousel, pass through Customs and turn it in at the baggage check counter immediately after exiting Customs (BEFORE you exit the sterile area door).

3) At that point you can process back through security, assuming a boarding pass, and take the skylink to Terminal E; you will see good signage, it is easy and it is fast. It is preferable to using terminal link, in my opinion.

If you arrive too late to make your UA flight or for other reasons have to go to the ticket counter for UA in Terminal E, you can also take terminal link vans to Terminal E and go through Security there.

4) As these airlines do have an interline agreement, you should indeed be able to check your luggage through to ORD.

If you had booked American Airlines, it wouldn't matter as much - connecting oneworld itineraries, even if ticketed separately, guarantee you will be accommodated in case of flight disruptions, As Qantas and United are in separate alliances, this will not apply. You stand a reasonably good chance at making it, but you won't have much time to dawdle. If for some reason you do not, most airlines do offer one some leeway and put us on the next available seat to our destination (why I recommend annotating your record with UA).

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 28, 2014 at 10:00 pm
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:49 am

Thanks all for the replies.

I booked this trip through a travel agent - who was originally suggesting an even shorter connection time, but I asked for a bit longer since I'm an inexperienced traveller. I'm extremely disappointed he didn't warn me about this, he also didn't tell me about the API, I knew of it from previous trips and when I asked him about it he didn't know what I was talking about and said the airline had all my details, despite never telling him my passport number etc. Fortunately I managed to update that online.

I'm not sure how to tell if they are on separate reservations, I think they are on the same since they appear on the same itinerary and when I put my booking number into the Qantas website it also shows my other flights. Unfortunately it won't let me modify my booking online otherwise I would have tried to rebook for a later flight.

I'll phone united tomorrow and see what they say, and ask them to add a note to my PNR record.

Thanks again
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by serfty
If on separate reservations then findingnemo1234 is taking a big risk.

It a large risk, even if on the one reservation IMHO.
  • Land
  • get to immigration
  • queue up
  • immigration processing
  • down to baggage hall
  • collect baggage
  • queue up
  • pass through customs
  • recheck any baggage for UA flight
  • head back airside through security
  • take train to E
  • hope the flight has not closed
This is a long, intimidating list, but really, the main challenges will be the queues at immigration and customs. The security line to get back airside at Terminal D is rarely more than 5 minutes (hint, if you so see a long queue, just walk to the next checkpoint). Once through, the SkyLink train runs every 2 minutes, and the ride to E should be about 5 minutes; add a bit of walking time, and you can still get from D security to your gate at E in 10 minutes.

If you do get delayed and miss the 16:00 flight, it looks like there are later UA to ORD at around 18:00 and 20:15 (check the schedule at united.com for yur specific date of travel).
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by swag
This is a long, intimidating list, but really, the main challenges will be the queues at immigration and customs. The security line to get back airside at Terminal D is rarely more than 5 minutes (hint, if you so see a long queue, just walk to the next checkpoint). Once through, the SkyLink train runs every 2 minutes, and the ride to E should be about 5 minutes; add a bit of walking time, and you can still get from D security to your gate at E in 10 minutes.

If you do get delayed and miss the 16:00 flight, it looks like there are later UA to ORD at around 18:00 and 20:15 (check the schedule at united.com for yur specific date of travel).
Hopefully with a bit of luck on my side things will work out.

I believe there are two more United Flights, and if for some reason I can't get on with United I will hopefully be able to book a flight with another airline.

I phoned United today and they added a note to my booking, although said there are no guarantees, it is better than nothing and might make them more helpful with putting me on standby for a later flight.

Thanks again
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by swag
I phoned United today and they added a note to my booking, although said there are no guarantees, it is better than nothing and might make them more helpful with putting me on standby for a later flight
The problem with later flights is seat availability.

With UA's unreliability and many cancelled flights, their flights tend to be rather full trying to accommodate pax from cancelled flights

That said, I think you will be fine with time allotted, and late evening flights tend to have more seats available (in my experience with UA).

Enjoy Chicago, it's a wonderful city Especially this time of the year, but it's damn cold in winter Oh wait, it will be April tomorrow, so may still be winter
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Need DFW Connection help

It's been about 6 yrs since I've been to DFW and I've never had to make a connection through there. We have an upcoming trip BOS-DFW-OGG. Obviously I don't know the gates we'll come into and go out of but for sake of discussion, I checked today's flights and the BOS flight came into D and the OGG flight leaves from A.
How much time is needed to change terminals and how is it done? I guess there is something called skylink, which is inside of security? Can you walk between terminals, inside of security or does that require re-screening.
Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, HG Gold
All the terminals are interconnected inside security but it's a long walk from D to A (its a 5 minute walk from the Admirals club at A21 to A38!). Skylink trains run every few minutes and are the best way to get from one terminal to another. AA changes gates at DFW very frequently, often to a different terminal so check the monitors before heading to your connection. Assuming a brisk walking pace I'd allow 20 minutes to get between two distant gates on skylink.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
It's been about 6 yrs since I've been to DFW and I've never had to make a connection through there. We have an upcoming trip BOS-DFW-OGG. Obviously I don't know the gates we'll come into and go out of but for sake of discussion, I checked today's flights and the BOS flight came into D and the OGG flight leaves from A.
How much time is needed to change terminals and how is it done? I guess there is something called skylink, which is inside of security? Can you walk between terminals, inside of security or does that require re-screening.
Thanks for the help.
Skylink runs in a loop, both directions, airside, two stations per terminal, trains every 2 minutes. Assuming you go in the correct/shorter direction, the maximum ride between stations is 9 minutes, so including the wait it's up to 11 minutes station to station. Add a few minutes to walk station to gate on each end, and 20 minutes should be sufficient for any transfer, gate to gate.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Yes they do change gates, and terminals on occasion, sometimes several times including back to the one they started with.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:09 am

Skylink wasnt running this morning at 6:30am. Big pain trying to get from D to A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.