Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
BTW - no idea if this will pass or not, but I think common sense should dictate that typos do not need motions voted down nor friendly amendments.

Cheers.
You say that but some people take Roberts Rule of Order really seriously. I saw a lot of anger over a typo ("four" vs. "five") in a previous motion which did hold up voting.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:26 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rwoman
Another "no" vote here. I support taking the time to go through and make sure a motion is as accurate as possible before voting.
As do I. However experience has taught us that (a) not every TalkBoard member will be sufficiently patient and (b) even after due diligence problems can be discovered after voting starts. In those cases this proposal provides a reasonable framework to proceed without starting over.

I voted yes.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Not just problems. Sometimes improvements become apparent and could be easily incorporated.

Bruce
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Question What is a typo?

Originally Posted by CMK10
I saw a lot of anger over a typo ("four" vs. "five") in a previous motion which did hold up voting.
As a non-native speaker, I might have misunderstood the meaning of typo. I can understand "fur" being a typo of "four." I didn't know "five" could be a typo of "four." If I mean three when I type two, I say I miscount or do the math wrong. I don't say I have a typo. If I have a fat finger and type "tjank you" instead of "thank you", I know I have a typo.

Do I understand the meaning of typo correctly?

ETA:
FWIW, if the previous motion was this rental car thread, I don't think the hold up was due to the "non-typo" you referred to. YMMV.

Last edited by lin821; Apr 1, 2015 at 3:39 pm Reason: ETA
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
OK, it's not technically a "typo," but it's an inconsequential failure to make a conforming change -- and we corrected it essentially without objection. Revoting the motion would have been an absurd waste of everybody's time, and we didn't run for TalkBoard to do that.

Bruce
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:16 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Revoting the motion would have been an absurd waste of everybody's time, and we didn't run for TalkBoard to do that.
That assertion is debatable.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bruce
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by rwoman
Another "no" vote here. I support taking the time to go through and make sure a motion is as accurate as possible before voting.

Apologies for the delay in doing so; I've been away for Navy Reserve duties and then recovering with being away from my life for 2 weeks.
Thank you!
Originally Posted by CMK10
You say that but some people take Roberts Rule of Order really seriously. I saw a lot of anger over a typo ("four" vs. "five") in a previous motion which did hold up voting.
I wouldn't take five as a typo for four. I'd think one meant to close an extra forum/subforum.
Originally Posted by lin821
As a non-native speaker, I might have misunderstood the meaning of typo. I can understand "fur" being a typo of "four." I didn't know "five" could be a typo of "four." If I mean three when I type two, I say I miscount or do the math wrong. I don't say I have a typo. If I have a fat finger and type "tjank you" instead of "thank you", I know I have a typo.

Do I understand the meaning of typo correctly?

ETA:
FWIW, if the previous motion was this rental car thread, I don't think the hold up was due to the "non-typo" you referred to. YMMV.
This! ^
OK, it's not technically a "typo," but it's an inconsequential failure to make a conforming change -- and we corrected it essentially without objection. Revoting the motion would have been an absurd waste of everybody's time, and we didn't run for TalkBoard to do that.

Bruce
It could be a huge change to close 4 forums instead of 5, or 5 instead of 4.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
...It could be a huge change to close 4 forums instead of 5, or 5 instead of 4.
Yes, it could. But in the actual situation that occurred just a couple of weeks ago, the number of forums recommended to be closed changed during drafting from five to four -- and that was noted and the forum names listed explicitly -- but one provision of the motion inadvertently retained the previous "five." Clearly -- and I do mean clearly -- it was intended to be "four," and we agreed to change it to four. Only one member raised a question about that, but no formal objection was raised to making this obvious conforming change. There was absolutely no possibility of misunderstanding. We should avoid being unnecessarily pedantic, especially when that works to our own detriment.

Bruce
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:37 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We should avoid being unnecessarily pedantic, especially when that works to our own detriment.
Nonsense, Bruce. By treating every minor error as fatal, forcing a complete reset, we show our dedication to principle. That uncompromising approach ensures that everyone will realize that TalkBoard is deadly serious business.

Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
is right.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Which has been done in the past on TB btw. Not often, but it's happened.
Yes, once or twice. But FAR more often than that what happens is that a motion is edited/improved on an ad hoc basis after it is made and seconded. Which leads to a situation of LESS rather than MORE public notice and transparency as the process is, in practice, left to the TB President.

BTW - no idea if this will pass or not, but I think common sense should dictate that typos do not need motions voted down nor friendly amendments.

Cheers.
Depends on how one defines 'typos' as we have seen in this thread.

I have no idea if this will pass or not, either. But as noted above, I prefer to have a formalized process for such things rather than leaving them to the whim of the TB President.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, as the TB president, I seconded nsx's superb motion to formalize the process. I'm actually stunned that people are voting against it -- and on such flimsy grounds. (Essentially, "This amendment process might be abused, so let's not have one." Of course, if you believe that TalkBoard is full of scoundrels, then you have a lot more than that to worry about.)

Bruce
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:27 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

This amendment process might be abused, so let's not have one.
That is not the reason why I voted against this motion.

Right or wrong, I tend to look at things as whether or not a change is necessary; and after reading all of the feedback, I thought to myself, “so what is the big deal of going through a motion from the start and get it right again versus a ‘friendly amendment’ procedure?”

Could a “friendly amendment” procedure ultimately streamline the process of going through the motions — pun intended? Perhaps — but is it significant enough to warrant a formality? The answer is no, in my opinion — simply because members of the TalkBoard are not considering such a spate of motions on a constant and consistent enough basis that such a formality is necessary.

If a motion is presented with a true typographical error, as demonstrated by lin821...
Originally Posted by lin821
...I really do not believe that any of the membership of FlyerTalk would be in an uproar if that typographical error is corrected without having to start the process of going through a motion and a vote all over again.

Ironically — whether I am correct or incorrect, I do not know, as I cannot predict the future — I believe that the procedure of a “friendly amendment” has the potential to further complicate the process instead of streamlining it...

...but I did not vote against it because I believe the process could be abused. After thinking about it, the conclusion for me is that I simply believe that it is not necessary. I trust fellow members of TalkBoard — otherwise, I would not have considered being a member of it in the first place.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:32 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Canarsie
pun intended
Quoted for truth.

You should use that as your signature! @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.