Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I totally agree. Staying up very late in the hope that some gem of wisdom might be posted to influence your vote is just silly. If the one non-voter had simply bitten the bullet and voted a few hours earlier, we wouldn't be embarrassed -- and neither would she -- and we might very well have passed this motion!!! (I am not going to assume that she would have voted no, and she has not indicated how she would have voted if she hadn't fallen asleep.)

Bruce
I'll say it publicly: I don't think she's embarrassed at all.

Motions shouldn't die on the vine. That's bad management. Stand up and choose a side and move forward. I will remember this for a long time.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I wonder if we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. No matter what we do, there will be people standing ready to criticize. So be it.
And there you have it. Acceptance is the first step.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I concur and will go a step further: the rationale for not voting is more embarrassing and underscores why waiting until the last minute is bad form. And, really, this was a motion on which someone would "abstain"? I think TB members ought to have more conviction and courage than that. We owe more responsiveness to the membership.
Agreed 100%! ^

I totally agree. Staying up very late in the hope that some gem of wisdom might be posted to influence your vote is just silly. If the one non-voter had simply bitten the bullet and voted a few hours earlier, we wouldn't be embarrassed -- and neither would she ....

Bruce
Agreed 100% (redux)! ^

I'll say it publicly: I don't think she's embarrassed at all.

Motions shouldn't die on the vine. That's bad management. Stand up and choose a side and move forward. I will remember this for a long time.
Agreed 100% (redux redux)! ^
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'll say this. The public fighting amongst TB members as seen throughout in this and another thread does not benefit either TB or FT and is disappointing.

Re: damned if do & damned if don't re: motions passing/failing. That's always been a facet of TB from the beginning & is nothing new.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'll say this. The public fighting amongst TB members as seen throughout in this and another thread does not benefit either TB or FT and is disappointing.

Re: damned if do & damned if don't re: motions passing/failing. That's always been a facet of TB from the beginning & is nothing new.

Cheers.
I admit there's something to what you said, but this is different. We have one real job and that is to vote on amendments. We're even given two weeks to do it. If you don't vote, especially beacuse you fell asleep, you're derelict in your duties.

If I had done this, I'd expect this kind of backlash and I'd also turn in my resignation.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
I don't feel bad about my comments at all - public or private. This is embarrassing and deserving of criticism, both on a Board level and on an individual level.

How is criticizing someone for not doing his/her elected job "disappointing"? We're not giving participation trophies here. Folks RAN for this volunteer job. If you're not going to perform the duties, why run in the first place? At the very least, every person who voted for that member should feel let down. Membership deserves better. It's not like we're voting on measures on a daily basis, or don't get enough time to make a choice.

I would hope folks would call me out if I failed like this. And that's what it is: failure. Not a failure of the motion, but of the process.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry. I'm the nonvoter. I fell asleep while still trying to decide between yes, no, or abstain. I was sitting on a comfortable sofa, totally exhausted, with ipad in lap, re-reading this thread again, making final lists with pro and con columns, and drafting potential "why I voted as I did" statements as a way to help me decide. I woke up about an hour and a half after the vote closed.

I'm sorry, although the vote and its outcome would have been exactly the same if I had abstained.
Wow.

That's deeply disappointing.

A lot of people spent a lot of time and effort to come up with this proposal, discussing it, dissecting it. But you knew you were the deciding vote and you didn't vote on it because you fell asleep?

I guess I appreciate your honesty. But honestly. That's just rude.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Why was this issue put out for public discussion and vote? This seems to be a purely procedural TalkBoard matter that could have been decided privately. It's unfortunate if your rules don't allow for any private decision making.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
People complain about ad hoc handling of amendments and corrections, so we write a procedure to avoid that and it fails to pass. What now?
Perhaps the proposal I offered back at the start of this thread?

Originally Posted by tom911
Then come up with a rule that would allow the author of the proposal to withdraw the motion after the voting starts, once the problem with the motion is identified. Seems much easier to withdraw the motion if there's some minor issue with it, and then come back and introduce a new motion with the corrected language fixing whatever was wrong.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by mia
Why was this issue put out for public discussion and vote? This seems to be a purely procedural TalkBoard matter that could have been decided privately. It's unfortunate if your rules don't allow for any private decision making.
It's a matter of transparency.

Decisions on procedural matters impact the ability of posters to know about, see, comment on and react to TB decisions. So posters should be able to have their say on them.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm sorry, although the vote and its outcome would have been exactly the same if I had abstained.
Apology accepted. It's just an Internet board.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Decisions on procedural matters impact the ability of posters to know about, see, comment on and react to TB decisions. So posters should be able to have their say on them.
Exactly. I don't think doing things "in the dark" is a good policy or practice.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

Furthermore some of the people commenting will be on a future TakkBoard. They might as well help out now in this forum.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mia
Oh, dear Lord--can you imagine the accusations of black helicopters that would fly around* if TalkBoard ever made a decision like this solely in the confines of the private forum?!

*Pun not intended, but on second glance, I rather like how it came out.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't feel bad about my comments at all - public or private. This is embarrassing and deserving of criticism, both on a Board level and on an individual level.

How is criticizing someone for not doing his/her elected job "disappointing"? We're not giving participation trophies here. Folks RAN for this volunteer job. If you're not going to perform the duties, why run in the first place? At the very least, every person who voted for that member should feel let down. Membership deserves better. It's not like we're voting on measures on a daily basis, or don't get enough time to make a choice.

I would hope folks would call me out if I failed like this. And that's what it is: failure. Not a failure of the motion, but of the process.
I wasn't referring to just MSP missing the vote (which I agree was lame-a* & her excuse even more so).

I'm referring to the public pettiness & bickering that's been going on between some TB members for a lot of this thread & some of the other threads this year. Do you think FTers haven't noticed? (Answer: they have). Do you really think that shows TB in a positive light? I don't. There's a difference between civil discourse & presenting one's arguments pro/con & personally going after each other or in some cases going after FTers too.

Wow.

That's deeply disappointing.

A lot of people spent a lot of time and effort to come up with this proposal, discussing it, dissecting it. But you knew you were the deciding vote and you didn't vote on it because you fell asleep?

I guess I appreciate your honesty. But honestly. That's just rude.
Agree 100%.

Originally Posted by mia
Technically it didn't have to be, as TB guidelines/rules do say admin stuff can be dealt with in the private forum (and IMO some of the sniping & bickering btwn TB members should have been kept there - something TB guidelines also state ). But by posting the proposed motion publicly, input was garnered that helped some TB members decide yes/no & some tweaks made before it got to the formal motion stage. Nothing wrong with that.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.