Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:04 pm

Is a 45 Minute Connection Time Schengen to non-Schengen Realistic at ZRH?

My friend flying from TXL to the US via ZRH, and Orbitz is offering a connection on Swiss with a 45 minute connection time in ZRH.

Is this realistic, especially given my assumption that my friend will have to go through passport control at ZRH, and he has a non-EU passport?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: SU Gold, A3 Gold
TXL - ZRH is on A320, which means jetbridge will be used in ZRH 99% and your friend will get into terminal quickly. About 5 minute walk to passport control on average. Passport control is normally also smooth, but than a peoplemover to E concourse should be taken (headways 3 min, travel time about the same).
So yes, it's most probably realistic for a passenger, not that sure about the baggage. Still I would not take such connection if my schedule on arrival is tight (e.g. any onward flight within the US).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: M&M HON***
Originally Posted by Eurocity
TXL - ZRH is on A320, which means jetbridge will be used in ZRH 99% and your friend will get into terminal quickly. About 5 minute walk to passport control on average. Passport control is normally also smooth, but than a peoplemover to E concourse should be taken (headways 3 min, travel time about the same).
So yes, it's most probably realistic for a passenger, not that sure about the baggage. Still I would not take such connection if my schedule on arrival is tight (e.g. any onward flight within the US).
It's worked for me on LX, including with baggage. (MUC-ZRH-GRU). I don't know if US connections require any more time consuming process.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:39 am

In my experience 45 min is very doable. Even the luggage makes it. But you have no room for delays of your inbound, which are not uncommon.
Personall I would pick a longer connection if there is one available, especially when the second flight is the last one in the day to get to the destination.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
no problem at all - even with 20 minutes delay you'll make it
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:59 am

It was all OK

LUX-ZRH-MAD with 45 minutes stop-over

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
Absolutely doable. I have done such connections many times.
The flight from LUX will most probably arrive at a remote stand and a bus will take you to the terminal in A. The MAD-flight will depart in A or B.
When you step into the terminal, count maximum 5-10 minutes to reach your gate.
If the LUX flight is delayed you might get a direct ramp transfer or in case of heavy delay you will be rebooked onto the next flight.
Baggage should be ok too. I had 35 min. connections arriving on longhaul and the bags did make it.
Hello, everything went fine with our flights (wife and I travelled two days apart).
Both flights departed 20 minutes late from LUX but the ZRH to MAD was also 25 minutes late.
We arrived in A and departed in A with direct access ramps.
Baggages were also present in MAD.

Regards, Pascal

Last edited by froggyranita; Aug 7, 2015 at 9:01 am Reason: adding more infos
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:11 am

is 50min enough to transfer at ZRH [the new 2/2012- ZRH connection thread]

Just for info:
Arrived this morning from HKG at a D-gate. With security (a bit of queue here as the JNB-flight arrived a few minutes prior to us also at a D-gate) and passport control, it took just 15 min from stepping out of the aircraft to get to the FCL.
As usual, all easy peasy for connecting in ZRH. ^
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:11 pm

Transit in Zurich (MIA-ZRH/ZRH-AMS)

It looks like we have about an hour and a half, assuming all is on time. Flying in C and wondering about lounge choices. I've been to the Panorama Lounge on a previous trip and it was somewhat underwhelming and crowded. Anyone know which terminal we'll likely be flying into/out of? Seems that the Business/Senator Lounge in Terminal 1 may be a better option, assuming we even have time for either ...

Also flying directly out of ZRH on return (i.e., not connecting from elsewhere). What are lounge choices at that point? Business or Senator Lounge best choice?

Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:12 pm

Transit in Zurich (MIA-ZRH/ZRH-AMS)

When arriving in ZRH from MIA, just go to the lounges in A, as your AMS flight will depart from A/B.
You are flying C, so it will be the C lounge, except if you are *Gold then you can use the SEN lounge.
For ZRH-MIA, I would also go to the lounges in A, then go to passport control and to the gates E where your flight to MIA will probably depart. I used to do so, never went to the panorama lounge.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:02 am

Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:29 pm

I'm flying SZG-VIE-ZRH-BOS. The VIE-ZRH flight leaves me with a 40 min connection to BOS. From what I've read here, I should be able to make the connection. However, i have the issue of claiming VAT refund at ZRH. (Past experiences tell me that I can't claim refund at SZG or VIE because neither is my last EU destination airport). Any chance I can still make my flight? What happens if I miss it? It's not mandatory that I take that flight to BOS that night, but I would rather not get home later if possible. I will be flying on an Aeroplan J award.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by sleepyinboston
I'm flying SZG-VIE-ZRH-BOS. The VIE-ZRH flight leaves me with a 40 min connection to BOS. From what I've read here, I should be able to make the connection. However, i have the issue of claiming VAT refund at ZRH. (Past experiences tell me that I can't claim refund at SZG or VIE because neither is my last EU destination airport). Any chance I can still make my flight? What happens if I miss it? It's not mandatory that I take that flight to BOS that night, but I would rather not get home later if possible. I will be flying on an Aeroplan J award.
VIE is your last EU airport, actually. That would make the 40 min at ZRH doable.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by MichielR
VIE is your last EU airport, actually. That would make the 40 min at ZRH doable.
You're right. I totally firgot that Switzerland is not part of the EU. Thank you.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Transiting Zurich airport: Flying LX : TLV-ZRH-LHR connection time 1h40m. Business Class.

I have never transited through ZRH.

Can someone please describe the transit process. Is there a terminal change?

Thank you.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by airbus320
Transiting Zurich airport: Flying LX : TLV-ZRH-LHR connection time 1h40m. Business Class.

I have never transited through ZRH.

Can someone please describe the transit process. Is there a terminal change?

Thank you.
Flights from TLV usually arrive at E gates and flights to LHR depart from D gates. Following the signs for D should take you to the Skymetro platform for a short ride to the main terminal. When you reach D, you will have to reclear security but no passport control. There is a Business Lounge in D on the floor above the departure gates which you can access after clearing security.

You may like to check Zurich Airport's transfer guide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.