Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Is there an 'unlike' button in case you like something in error?

If not why not?
Yes, you can do exactly that
jackal likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks to the FTer who gave me instructions on how to eliminate the likes ^ I'm sure IB won't be happy w/ how it was accomplished, but then there are a # of us who use & contribute regularly to FT who weren't happy that this was implemented (and badly) w/o input from us & whose recommendations even now that it's live may go by the wayside.

I still think the best thing IB could do for FTers/FT is to provide an opt out option for the likes feature, as it does for other features. That way those who like likes can continue to see them & like to their hearts content, & those of us who don't care about likes & don't want to see them/the folk liking don't have to see them. It's called a 'win-win' situation & meets the needs to all FTers, & not just a subset.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:22 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jackal
Originally Posted by goalie
I like this post but I will not click the like button because I do not like the like button

I like this post but I will not click the like button because I do not like the like button
I've always found it interesting and odd that you are one of most like-happy people I know on Facebook, and yet you are so vehemently opposed to it here. Why the incongruity?
Because this is not Facebook
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:07 pm

A FTer pointed out to me that there's no daily limit on # of likes. He said he thought of liking a 1,000 posts today just to show it's a bit absurd.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A FTer pointed out to me that there's no daily limit on # of likes. He said he thought of liking a 1,000 posts today just to show it's a bit absurd.
That would sure teach society a lesson it won't soon forget.
oliver2002, jackal and aztimm like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That would sure teach society a lesson it won't soon forget.
Don't look at me, as I wasn't the one who thought of doing it. However, I think the point being made by the FTer is that posting likes doesn't really signify much & yes likes can be gamed if someone chose to do so. I'm sure society will be fine, but not sure having likes populated all over the place helps FT/FTers.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Cheers.
What would be the purpose of liking 1000+ posts in one day? What would the member achieve (other than diluting the value of his/her feedback)?
oliver2002 and GRALISTAIR like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Prospero
What would be the purpose of liking 1000+ posts in one day? What would the member achieve (other than diluting the value of his/her feedback)?
Visibility, the same thing you see in some of those OMNI number counting threads that don't contribute a thing to the FlyerTalk experience. I remember one member had over 30,000 posts in one of those threads before the counter was turned off after a Talk Board vote. This is just another opportunity to see screen names in print with the enhancement that you're not locked into one single forum. It will be a new goal for some members, even without a counter turned on, to see how many times they can click "like" in a day.

A "like" post doesn't tell me anything about what the member appreciates about a particular post. Unless you have an attached field to indicate "why" the members likes the post, I just find no value there, just like those number counting threads. Don't find much value there, either.

I could "like" a fare alert for $200 SFO-SYD just as easily as I could "like" a $2,000 fare alert for the same route. Without some additional commentary, you'd have no idea why I'd like that $2,000 fare which would be ten times the $200 sale fare. Could be that I just like members that post fare alerts.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
The result of the poll conducted in the TalkBoard Topics forum two years certainly suggested a quiet majority were in favour, where 60% of members who voted supported the implementation of a “Helpful” button feature; 38% were opposed to it and 2% registered no opinion.
Looking back on my posts in 2014 (wow, that was a while ago) I was against the like button. I do like the likes but I do not see any benefit it has on FT, given that this is not facebook or MP.
How is the new like buttons working? Sorry I've been away the past few weeks and other than seeing that this was implemented quickly, I'm unsure of how this factors in post displaying.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Visibility, the same thing you see in some of those OMNI number counting threads that don't contribute a thing to the FlyerTalk experience. I remember one member had over 30,000 posts in one of those threads before the counter was turned off after a Talk Board vote. This is just another opportunity to see screen names in print with the enhancement that you're not locked into one single forum. It will be a new goal for some members, even without a counter turned on, to see how many times they can click "like" in a day.
It is difficult to give a rational response to irrational actions.

As far as I can make out, a max of three handles are displayed in the “likes this” banner. If a post receives four or more likes then the handle of the three most recently registered likes are displayed and the others are grouped together in the "and x others liked this" list.

Originally Posted by jason8612
Looking back on my posts in 2014 (wow, that was a while ago) I was against the like button. I do like the likes but I do not see any benefit it has on FT, given that this is not facebook or MP.
How is the new like buttons working? Sorry I've been away the past few weeks and other than seeing that this was implemented quickly, I'm unsure of how this factors in post displaying.
The feature will be monitored for sure - my initial impression is members are using it responsibly, like ducks to water. Its early days though
jackal likes this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 11, 2017 at 10:26 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:09 pm

Some ducks aren't taking to water given I'm now being asked how I managed to get rid of likes

Of course the method is one that IB doesn't like, but the problem could be solved by 2 things:

a) Fix the abysmal way likes has been implemented. Even folk who like likes/would use it don't like having the like link in the post as well as all the names & a big banner across the middle of the post.

b) Offer an opt-out option like IB does w/ other FT features. That way those who like likes can keep it turned on & those who don't like likes can have it turned off. A 'win-win' for both sides & for IB.

c) implement both a & b, then the method some FTers are now using to eliminate likes wouldn't need to be utilized

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
^ great question - and the member would achieve exactly that - dilute the value of their feedback - akin to post padding.

BTW - I am neither for nor against the like button. IB can always drop it if it ain't working. Nowt (sorry for the northern England expression) like a live trial to test something
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I raised the excessive screen real estate issue internally several days ago and I believe it will be addressed in a future update. I imagine that "nice to have but not money-making" features do not get top priority for development.

I for one am happy that SanDiego1K did not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We'll know in a month or so whether or not this feature benefits FT. The (hopefully temporary) screen real estate problem won't affect that evaluation.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by N639DL
The last example is how the design should be, although if it were me, I'd keep the light background rather than making it stand out so much.
DenverBrian and jackal like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:32 pm

I still think the best thing IB could do for FTers/FT is to provide an opt out option for the likes feature, as it does for other features. That way those who like likes can continue to see them & like to their hearts content, & those of us who don't care about likes & don't want to see them/the folk liking don't have to see them. It's called a 'win-win' situation & meets the needs to all FTers, & not just a subset.
Exactly.
Please allow members to opt out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.