FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:05 pm
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Prospero
What would be the purpose of liking 1000+ posts in one day? What would the member achieve (other than diluting the value of his/her feedback)?
Visibility, the same thing you see in some of those OMNI number counting threads that don't contribute a thing to the FlyerTalk experience. I remember one member had over 30,000 posts in one of those threads before the counter was turned off after a Talk Board vote. This is just another opportunity to see screen names in print with the enhancement that you're not locked into one single forum. It will be a new goal for some members, even without a counter turned on, to see how many times they can click "like" in a day.

A "like" post doesn't tell me anything about what the member appreciates about a particular post. Unless you have an attached field to indicate "why" the members likes the post, I just find no value there, just like those number counting threads. Don't find much value there, either.

I could "like" a fare alert for $200 SFO-SYD just as easily as I could "like" a $2,000 fare alert for the same route. Without some additional commentary, you'd have no idea why I'd like that $2,000 fare which would be ten times the $200 sale fare. Could be that I just like members that post fare alerts.