Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bschaff1
The rooms really need screens, I had birds flying over my bed waking me up when they were eating food from the welcom tray.
That sounds quaint, very Hawaiian-like.

Did the other rooms have screens? If not, maybe a previous occupant of your room took the screens home with him, they probably weren't screwed down.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
That sounds quaint, very Hawaiian-like.

Did the other rooms have screens? If not, maybe a previous occupant of your room took the screens home with him, they probably weren't screwed down.
Diet. Pepsi. Everywhere.
Perhaps it was a special PLT amenity?

I have an upcoming stay here and am looking forward to it. Sans the birds.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:02 pm

Last weekend I had a fantastic stay at the Royal Hawaiian. I wasn't sure what to expect, particularly given my underwhelming stay at the Moana Surfrider last year despite so many FTers posting about the strong PLT recognition at that property. WOW...this property definitely exceeded my expecations (which admittedly weren't all that high) and I'm looking forward to more stays at the Royal Hawaiian in the future.

Valet parking had leis for arriving guests and that seemed to be a bit hit or miss...that was the only "miss" I experienced for my stay. I'd like to echo what many others have said about the remodel of the historic building. Every team member I encountered was warm & welcoming. I won't go too much into detail re my suite upgrade as it was beyond the typical PLT upgrade (and there were other items at work beyond my PLT status) in order to avoid raising expectations of other PLTs too much; I was in room 280.

A few items to note:
+ As a PLT, instead of being given breakfast, I was given a cert for lunch at Surf Lanai. The lunch offering included a choice of beverage (coffee, tea, soda, etc IIRC), a main and a dessert. The main had five or six choices including sandwiches and salads. The dessert was a choice between gelato/sorbet, bread pudding or a coconut tart (again IIRC). Be sure to notify the server before ordering if you have one of the certs as it is a slightly different menu from the Surf Lanai lunch menu.
+ Daily Resort Charge (at this time), $20 per day, covers the following: internet access in room, self parking for one vehicle, unlimited local & 800 phone calls, up to 60 minutes of long distance calls per day, two bottles of water in room per day, certs for a non-alcoholic Blue Hawaii at the Mai Tai Bar (two certificates per three night stay. In addition, children 12 & under eat free from the Keiki Menu at Surf Lanai (breakfast and lunch) and In-Room Dining (all day) with each paying adult. This is all outlined on a card provided at check-in.
+ Instead of the chocolate coins (previously mentioned) at turndown, they left a small package of macadamia nuts with bottled water.
+ Banana bread mini-loaf was waiting in my room when I arrived, as was a fruit plate. With the banana bread was a card explaining that this is a tradition at the Royal Hawaiian and included a banana bread recipe. The fruit plate included two bananas, two kiwi, two apples & a grapefruit.
+ On my way to breakfast at 7:30, I stopped by to save a chair on the beach and there were only about 1/3 of them taken at that point. When I got back to the beach around 8:45 there were still plenty of chairs available. I didn't pay attention to availability around the pool.
+ As a PLT I was able to obtain a 4pm late check-out as they did not have anyone checking into my room the evening I departed.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Does anybody have a contact email for this hotel?

I emailed the hotel using the email on the hotel home page, been over a week and no reply.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by navatwal
Does anybody have a contact email for this hotel?

I emailed the hotel using the email on the hotel home page, been over a week and no reply.
When this happens, I contact SPG Customer Services and have them open a customer service file. These customer service files typically get directed right to the top (hotel GM).

Rant: Hotels shouldn't list contact email information if they have no intention of assigning someone to check their email.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cawhite
+ As a PLT, instead of being given breakfast, I was given a cert for lunch at Surf Lanai.
So a PLT will get complimentary breakfast OR lunch (for two) at Surf Lanai? I've never heard of this, so it must be new or the RH went above and beyond because you have other factors in play.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
So a PLT will get complimentary breakfast OR lunch (for two) at Surf Lanai? I've never heard of this, so it must be new or the RH went above and beyond because you have other factors in play.
I wasn't offered a choice, just told that PLTs were comped lunch. I have another stay relatively soon and will try to remember to ask - I didn't question it last week as I was much happier with a comped lunch than breakfast.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by cawhite
I wasn't offered a choice, just told that PLTs were comped lunch. I have another stay relatively soon and will try to remember to ask - I didn't question it last week as I was much happier with a comped lunch than breakfast.
Thanks for the reply. I'll be at the RH over Presidents Weekend, with a few nights prior to that at the SW.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:50 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by alanslegal
This sounds like it was purchased through AMEX Platinum's Fine Hotel and Resorts program.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by DCF
This sounds like it was purchased through AMEX Platinum's Fine Hotel and Resorts program.
It definitely was not - booking done through spg . com at the BAR
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'm pretty sure the lunch credit is the hotel's extra benefit for platinum guests because of the resort fee.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:36 pm

After doing a bit more reading; from the Resort Ammenity thread;

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I'm pretty sure the lunch credit is the hotel's extra benefit for platinum guests because of the resort fee.
Originally Posted by jpdx
We were at the Royal Hawaiian last week, and the free lunches worked out well for us. We parked a car, and iirc, the resort fee is less than what they used to charge for parking. It's a bit sneaky of them to give out lunch certificates, as I'm sure they figure many people aren't around between 11.30 and 14.00 (breakfast would be more useful to most people), but if you can use them, it's a great deal. I would have been satisfied with this amenity even if we hadn't parked a car (but if you do park, it's great value).
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:37 am

Smile

I had another great stay at the Royal Hawaiian last weekend. As a PLT I was upgraded to a corner Royal Ocean Jr Suite with a view looking up Waikiki toward Diamond Head (they know my room preference for this property is an ocean view room in the historic building rather than a garden suite or tower room). My upgrade was assigned pre-arrival (rather than having to ask for it at check-in) despite it being a crazy-busy weekend in the area (Pro Bowl). The attitude of Kelly's team here is great - they all make one feel like a welcome guest.

Re the PLT lunch amenity: I stopped by Surf Lanai mid-morning to check on lunch hours. When I noted that I needed to be leaving the property shortly after they opened for lunch, the hostess graciously offered for me to come back down at 11 and she would have the pool team fix me a "to go" lunch using my lunch cert. I thought others here might want to know that option is (potentially) available.

I headed down to the beach around 8:00 (Sunday morning) after getting back from a run and there were still plenty of chairs available, unlike the situation many posts reported a year or two ago. There were still 5 or 6 left at the far end of the front row, and most in the 2nd and 3rd rows were still available.

Check-in was quick & efficient but without feeling rushed, complete with a glass of the "pink drink." Something to be aware of for first-time guests...there isn't a set queue to wait to check in, so pay attention to who in the lobby waiting area arrived before you. Banana bread deliveries are now made between 2-6pm (I heard this is a change?), so don't be surprised if you check in and it hasn't arrived yet. Turn down service this time had The Royal Hawaiian chocolate coins (my last visit was small packages of macadamia nuts).
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Underwhelmed Experience

I just completed a 3 night stay at the Royal Hawaiian.

The hotel’s location couldn’t be better. It’s one of the few hotels that has its own section on the beach. Unfortunately, the hotel is not “Waikiki’s finest luxury resort.” I met a person who was having a business conference at the hotel and she agreed. She didn’t get the welcome banana bread. She said some of the attendees felt that service was hit or miss. My main issues were the beach umbrellas and the reserving of beach chairs.

They do not have enough beach umbrellas for the number of lounge chairs. There was such a shortage that each day on the beach, the beach attendants were asking guests if they were using their umbrellas. Additionally, it was clear that the beach attendants were reserving many of the first row chairs and umbrellas for guests that clearly were not there within the 90 minute time period. If reserving in advance is going to be allowed, then it should be made available to all guests and not just a certain few who know about it.

Considering the money I paid for my stay, being asked if I was using my umbrella is not what I would expect from a luxury resort. I was underwhelmed on my visit.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thekaica
Additionally, it was clear that the beach attendants were reserving many of the first row chairs and umbrellas for guests that clearly were not there within the 90 minute time period.
You should definitely contact the property about this issue. It sounds like the beach staff is reserving the chairs and umbrellas longer than 90 minutes for potential kickbacks (just guessing).

If you make it clear that you paid a lot of money and this situation bothered you, I am sure the property would like to know about it (instead of possibly losing your future patronage).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.