Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
The Sheraton is within walking distance to subway stations.
I'm staying there right now. As a Platinum, I got upgraded to the club floor with access to the lounge (which serves continental breakfasts and canapes (in the afternoon)).
The gym is alright as well (with good machines and a decent size pool).

Suite upgrades are hard to come by as they only very limited number of them in the entire hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:32 am

Hello,

I will be staying this place on Thursday 4/19. I got this email yesterday and said

"Sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest difference. If there is anything we can do to make your visit more comfortable, help you get things done, or just generally have a better day - please don't hesitate to call.

Nurture yourself by upgrading to our Sheraton Club Level where you will enjoy exclusive perks for only an additional $30 per night. View right for more details. "

Do you think it worth it for extra $30 ? I am not even gold. Do I get the free breakfast for this as well?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
I'll be staying there as well for the Grand Prix. The hotel is in a good location, only one block away from St. Catherine Street with a great Steak restaurant across the street.

There's a mini-FT get together if you're interested:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663690

Regarding the Club Level, I'm not sure if the rooms are any nicer, but I would say the Lounge is not worth the extra $30/night. I would opt to spend the same outside of the hotel and get much better by way of breakfast and evening snacks.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Platinum
We just stayed there a few weeks ago on points and had an excellent experience. While the hotel isn't particularly plush we had the best reception and customer service I think I've ever had within the Starwood chain (with the possible exception of our time at the Westin Sydney).

My platinum welcome pack was waiting for me when I arrived and they had upgraded us to a corner room on the 25th floor (I think) but it had two queens and I prefer a King. A quick trip back to the front desk to explain the situation and it was sorted out - couldn't have been more accomodating - they gave us a junior suite (read connecting rooms - one furnished as a bedroom, the other as a "parlour" with sofas, etc) and apologised that they didn't give us it in the first place. The hotel was full occupancy that night.

The junior suite worked fine as we had friends coming to stay the following night so they put them in the other room, so we had 1408, 1409 and 1410 - 1409 being the connecting room in the middle. I didn't notice any difference in decor between the rooms on the 14th floor and the club floor on 24 or 25 (memory is failing).

The club lounge is pretty impressive - the whole of the top floor is the lounge and the views are great. The breakfast was okay... skip the canapes in the afternoon and head round the corner to the Thai restaurant which looked scary but was pretty good. Peter works the club lounge and he was excellent, remembering our drinks preferences every morning and bringing them over without us having to ask.

The hot tub is great - I had the worst massage I've ever received and asked her to stop 20 minutes into it... though my wife and friends had great experiences there so perhaps I just got unlucky and it wasn't too expensive ($80 an hour). Location is pretty good - Starbucks just up the road and a large movie theatre too (though it sounds like you'll have your own entertainment!) and plenty of restaurants too.

Every staff member we spoke to was warm, curteous and helpful. The maids, the bellcap, front desk, servers, receptionists. It was the staff that made our trip so enjoyable.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:01 am

30 is worth the Lounge

If there are two people to the room, than paying an add. $30 to have access to the Club Lounge is def. worth it. You have breakfast and hors d'oeuvres served at night. If you are only one then you will break close to even.

Of course there are cheaper deals outside. Burger King offers breakfast for $5 and some diners for even less. But do you know where to find them ?

However, the Lounge is one of the best in North America for the view of the city (from 37th floor) and the many corners you have to sit in peace. If I was staying for a week, paying $30 a night for 7 nights, I wouldn't do it bec. I would get bored after a while, plus I'd be likely to miss breakfast sometimes. However, for a one night stay, if you will have breakfast and the evening munchies, its worth it.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also, as to the original poster's request, there are many reviews of this property here at FlyerTalk, but I will add these tidbits.
Grand Prix Wknd is the busiest in Montreal. Practically the whole city sells out. Rates even at the Four Points will go for $400 a night that weekend, so hold on to your room.

The Sheraton is one of the best properties to stay when things are that busy. The large lobby will lend itself to an exciting hustle and bustle. The lounge in the lobby is beautiful and relaxing to hang out in (leather chairs, fireplace, large "coffee table" books).

The Metro is one block in either direction depending on which line you take. There is a tourist office also a block away which is huge and offers tons of information for sights and things to do, and it's also the locale where the bus tours take off from.

Mary Queen of The World Cathedral is one block from the Sheraton and is worth a visit.

Place Ville Marie is two short blocks and is basically the beginning of the famous Montreal Underground (miles and miles of life: shopping centers attached to shopping centers and more shopping centers).

If you have more specific questions you can ask, but there are some better and more detailed reviews posted elsewhere.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH Silver
Stayed at this property on 4/16

We just stayed there a couple of days ago. We spent Sunday night at the W and Monday night at the Sheraton.

I will preface this by saying I am a newbie SPG Gold only earning the status a week ago from a promotion recently offered. I have mainly spent the last year staying in Hilton properties while I had Gold status with them.

This night at the Sheraton was booked with points.

Checked in around 4 pm, but our room was not cleaned. The staffer mentioned that they are fully booked that night and that we were being upgraded to a suite. The suite was not yet clean. So, not wanting to pass up the suite, I told her we were in no rush. We would be happy to check our bags and come back a short while later - which we did.

We came back and went to check in again. The staff person could not tell from the screen if the room was yet cleaned, so she went up herself to check. Very good customer service.

The rooms were 722-725. Not sure if this is a "junior" suite or not, but it was huge. Table for eight, 2 couches, 4 soft chairs, 2 full baths, 2 queens and a little kitchen area. Very roomy and much appreciated.

I was pleased to be upgraded and certainly not expecting it since this was a points-paid night. But, it certainly is giving me a good impression of my new SPG Gold status.

Pool and hot tub area were nice and empty when we went Tues am. We did not eat there or use any other amenities. The Sheraton is closer to more shopping and restaurants which was nice. I would certainly stay there again.

One other comment (and perhaps I should have questioned it more, but no biggie). On Tuesday, we weren't leaving until later. We planned to leave our bags at the bell desk like the previous day and then pick them up later before leaving town. When we went to the bell desk, they charged us CN$1.50 per bag to hold them. We were not charged the day before, but our room was not ready yet so maybe that explained it. If I had thought more about it, I could have either mentioned that I was a Gold (I did not), or conversely, left our bags in the room as asked for a 4 pm check out. Either way, the $4.50 was no big deal, but I don't recall being charged at other properties when I do this.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
What I remember most about this hotel was getting charged for soft drinks in the lounge. Looks like they like to nickel-and-dime.

I also remember asking to be walked from the hotel, on an award stay. They didn't have the non-smoking I had reserved. We wound up at the small Meridien Versailles for one night instead.

I think the consensus is the W is better than the Sheraton or the Meridien.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I go to Montreal a lot on business and the Sheraton is an okay property and I stayed there a lot on business in 2005 and a bit off and on more recently in 2007.

Le Centre Montreal is a decent enough property but I felt more like a number despite frequent stays in 2005. I have been given a 2 room suite 3-4 times I think and have been given lounge access every single time as Plat. The breakfast in the Club is fine and the canapes are okay but not worthing rushing back for if you have something better. The view is good if you have not been there before but if you are there frequently, there are better views around. The hotel is near the shopping areas and lots of restaurant a few blocks away. Metro is about 3 blocks away.

My main grip with the hotel is that I travel with 2 laptops and they wanted to ding me 2 laptop charges of I think $16 each. I had a 30 min or 1 hour discussion that I don't use both computers at the same times but I sometimes need to do something for my client and then do something for my company but not at the same time. No budging and this policy probably lost them about a significant number of nights of revenue from me.

I have also stayed at W, Le Meridien Versaille and 4pts downtown and 4pts is my least favourite property. W is nice if you like that type but W Montreal is trying too hard to be a boutique whereas I prefer the real boutique hotels in Montreal like hotel Nelligen.

Of the SPG properties in Montreal, I realy like Meridien Versaille but it is a smaller boutique type hotel and some of the small rooms can be really small. No lounge here but they will give Plats free breakfast (continental) at Bronte which is a great with fantastic croissants and sometimes smoke salmon. They will also give you a free hour internet access (might give you more if you ask) and you can access internet for free in the Chateau Versaille across the road. It may not be everyone's cup of tea though since the hotel is small. Le Meridien Versaille is my 3rd favourite property after Nelligan and Hyatt.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:27 pm

Le Centre Montreal Sheraton now Cat 4

Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:59 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Originally Posted by money_opp
I stay there all the time as well as at the Sheraton 4 Points also in downtown Montreal. Both are great and always give me upgrades to suites as a long standing Plat member.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:15 pm

am staying there at the end of this week. i booked it last week. i tried booking it online for 2,800 points and $45, but the website wouldn't allow me to book it. upon calling customer service, they told me that it was a category 4! (4,000 points+ $60). i showed them on the website that it shows it as a 3*!! she told me that it just changed, and they have yet to update the website. (which they have done by now.) anyways i booked it on the phone for 4,000 points and $38.00 canadian (which comes to about $41.00 american).
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:17 pm

as a gold member, - is there anyway to get coupons for the spa. or what can i ask for and expect to get?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by levy
as a gold member, - is there anyway to get coupons for the spa. or what can i ask for and expect to get?
Coupons?

If you are talking about using the pool/hot tub, gym that's not a problem, they just have to sign in there is no charge for that.

Unless you want spa services such as massage, facial etc... there are no coupons that are given for complimentary services to anyone unless it's part of a package rate.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
As a friendly reminder to those considering this Sheraton..... if you are booking a Club Room or if you anticipate Club access due to your status with SPG, be advised that this is one of few hotel clubs on the planet charging for soft drinks -- including Club Soda. They also charge for any juices after breakfast hours.

If you gathered 100 business travellers in a room and asked them what the most basic expectations of any hotel club lounge would be, surely complimentary soft drinks and bottled water would be very near the top of that list. It is very frustrating that this hotel chooses to deviate on something like this that ends up feeling like nickeling and diming. When I'm paying a $210 room rate as a Plat and get club floor access, I should get that club soda with a lime without shelling out another $4.50. Ugh.

This is one area that I really fault Starwood for not insisting on brand consistencies in core components like a Sheraton Club Lounge. It is reasonable to expect NOT to be charged for soda in a club lounge since it's exceptionally rare that one ever is.

Anyway -- heads up. This little $5 surprise so annoyed me on my last visit that I've moved my business in Montreal to the Marriott.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Chances of Upgrade in Montreal?

Hello Starwood Experts,
I should like to ask the opinion of everyone on the board. I am staying at the Sheraton Centre Montreal (as advised by members here) and am very much hoping for an upgraded room. In the experiences of all concerned, am I more likely to receive this upgrade if I stay 3 nights (February 1-4) or merely two nights (Feb 2-4). I am unsure how the upgrades work for Starwoods and am curious what the experts here thinks. Many thanks.

Rupesh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.