Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Singapore St Regis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:47 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
MSPeconomist
The status of homosexuality in Singapore has almost nothing to do with the Moslem faith, and M0hamed's name should reinforce that further. Generally Chinese Singaporeans are as opposed to homosexuality as ones of Malay origin.

Ethnic Chinese Singaporeans outnumber Malays by over five to one, and are deeply conservative, with virtually no-one opposing hanging, caning of children and the illegality of male homosexuality. In fact, even heterosexual people have only been allowed to engage in "unorthodox" intimate acts within the last decade.

The extent of conservatism in Singapore is highlighted by the fact that the previous hangman Darshan Singh executed someone every second Friday for a quarter of a century, even though the population was between 4 and 5 million at that time!

Why am I mentioning this in a hotel thread? Because whenever any of us travel we have to accept the social norms (and taboos) of the country in which we are a guest.

Male homosexuality is unlawful in Singapore. As such, even if you go to a top class hotel, if you are gay you are likely to be treated differently because people will be shocked and quite possibly offended or even angered. It is precisely analogous to the situation if a white woman had turned up to check in to the best hotel in Mississipi with a black man in 1950. Of course the prejudice is unfair, and wrong. But what would have happened in 1950? Would the staff have put their prejudices to one side and done their jobs? Of course not!

I am not defending that - I even wished M0hamed a happy anniversary. I'm just identifying a significant problem which is far outside the control of Starwood or the St Regis hotel. And why go to a place where you know that your status is as a second-class (non) citizen?

Last edited by DCF; Feb 25, 2014 at 4:57 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by DCF
M0hamed,

...As such, it might be that the failures in service that you experienced were mainly related to this. It could be argued that you were actually quite fortunate not to have the odious Section 377A of the penal code used against you.
In my opinion, this was more an act of carelessness and lack of focus and/or them just being aloof than one motivated by cultural beliefs/values/religious backgrounds of the staff there.
Just my two cents based on my previous stays here…

Last edited by jaejaez; Feb 25, 2014 at 7:40 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:05 pm

I think many forget that anyone (with sufficient funds) can own a Starwood property.

I have no desire to visit Singapore (even if it is the St Regis) based on the above reports.

DCF is spot in....just take a look at what is going on in Arizona, USA.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaejaez
In my opinion, this was more an act of carelessness and lack of focus and/or them just being aloof than one motivated by cultural beliefs/values/religious backgrounds of the staff there.
Exactly, incredible how some can come to such ridiculous conclusions

You have posters here who know a little of the country, and then try to apply their limited knowledge to a real life situation which often than not is more complex than one plus one equals two.

Last edited by mario33; Feb 25, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:06 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by mario33
Exactly, incredible how some can come to such ridiculous conclusions

You have posters here who know a little of the country, and then try to apply their limited knowledge to a real life situation which often than not is more complex than one plus one equals two.
Agree. This property, like the St. Regis BKK, simply has service levels below what one should rightfully expect of a St. Regis. Sexuality doesn't have anything to do with it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:15 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Agree. This property, like the St. Regis BKK, simply has service levels below what one should rightfully expect of a St. Regis. Sexuality doesn't have anything to do with it.
Whereas we had an incredible stay in BKK. As always, YMMV.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:56 pm
Suspended

St Regis Bangkok

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Not me, they cant even perform basic functions right.

Offered coffee when I checked-in, but coffee only arrived after several reminders and 45 minutes later.

Applied DCC (without my permission) to my credit card when I checked out, and when I spotted it and objected, their reaction was "alright we will make a note in your profile that you prefer to be charged in Thai Baht" as if its a special request

I am not into special touches like card signed by GM, being greeted by name by every employee or bottle of champagne, however the St Regis Bangkok cant even function properly despite pretending they are a class act

At least the St Regis Singapore is efficient, just that they know how to hide their suites.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Wiki added.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by m0hamed
To be fair, I think your expectations at StR SIN are unreasonable. Just because you are celebrating an anniversary, honeymoon, etc., I don't think it entitled you to anything further. A card, in and of itself, is more than sufficient. It just seems that people are always afflicted by the disease of more- I want more, more, more. More of an upgrade, more of an amenity, more ...-kissing. I simply don't see where it is justified.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Any recent stay reports here as a platinum member?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
okay, answer to my own question.

just completed a 2-night stay here. in summary, quite disappointed. (maybe i expected too high)

the hard product was gorgeous and in good shape but the soft product was way below st.regis standard.

got upgraded at check-in to a grand deluxe room (next tier category) on 16th floor. the fd agent said there were no st.regis suite available. okay no problem, im solo traveler anyway, no need for that much space. my room was clean and nice decorated, quite spacious actually. the only major problem i found was wifi connectivity. very poor signal.

the butler service did not exist at all from check-in to check-out. no one introduced him/herself as my butler, no welcome drink or anything else. most staffs seem cold and not willing to help. overall service at MO was MUCH BETTER.

housekeeping service was good at their job. however it was almost 3pm till your room got done. turndown service was a nice touch and did a good job too.

as a platinum member, you have access to spg platinum and suite guests happy hour from 5-7pm (evening soiree), which now held at the labrezza italian resto by the pool on the 2nd floor. nothing to write home about. i didn't even partake on the first night.

buffet breakfast at main resto on the ground floor also complimentary for plat. overall spread was good but service was below par. no coffee served, you have to ask for it. the food were not replenished fast enough. If you come after 8.30am, there was a long line waiting for the table. it seems very disorganised. personally i found the SGS buffet breakfast was much better in every aspects.

location was not ideal for me, quite far from subway. need to walk about 1 km to the nearest station (orchard). it was not convenient to explore singapore by subway.

conclusion: i might not return to stay here and head back to MO as usual.

ps. sorry for my poor english.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; May 17, 2015 at 4:01 am
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
ps. sorry for my poor english.
No need to apologize. Your English is fine.

Thanks for posting your comments.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:52 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Deleted

Last edited by m0hamed; May 17, 2015 at 1:31 am Reason: Wrong StR.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Food quality remains high at this hotel, but variety at the breakfast buffet has noticeably declined over the past few years. Used SNAs (had no better use for them) to upgrade to a cramped St. Regis corner suite. Service was good, but not as good as years before. Still, a much better property compared to the Sheraton or Westin.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Condition One
Still, a much better property compared to the Sheraton or Westin.
Funny, because while I 100% agree with you (StR > Westin), this seems to be the minority position compared to others I speak to...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.