Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by curl
Also have stayed (regretfully) at W City Center..... not so good. seriously postage-stamp sized rooms. my butt hit the wall when i walked by the foot of the bed.
Wow. My standard room was pretty small, but I was never in danger of bumping any walls. Either my room was bigger or my butt is smaller.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Any recent reviews for stays at The Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers?

I'm considering a weekend stay there in late april.

As plat I would like to know plat upgrade successes and anything else to note either positive or negative.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:11 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA AA Platinum, UA, Hilton Blue, Starwood Platinum, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
Any recent reviews for stays at The Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers?

I'm considering a weekend stay there in late april.

As plat I would like to know plat upgrade successes and anything else to note either positive or negative.
I stayed there for the 4th time last December for a visit with the wife & son to go see Santa & do some Christmas shopping. I am just a Gold, but have always gotten an upgrade. The hotel is a bit of the walking path for some, but just a 2 minute cab ride from Michigan Ave. I have no complaints about the place, and the service has always been wonderful. I definitely give it a thumbs up.

Hope your stay is a memorable one.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:33 pm

I like in this order:

Westin River North
W Loop
Westin Mich Ave
W Lakeshore

I haven't stayed at the Sheraton yet. The River North property has good location and is a nice hotel overal. We stay there often.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MarkRichmond
I like in this order:

Westin River North
W Loop
Westin Mich Ave
W Lakeshore

I haven't stayed at the Sheraton yet. The River North property has good location and is a nice hotel overal. We stay there often.
I 100% agree with the above!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
How is the Sheraton for vicinity to the shopping district and other attractions?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
How is the Sheraton for vicinity to the shopping district and other attractions?

A couple of blocks east of Michigan Avenue. The area is very walkable.

Take a look at an msn or google map of the area, that should give you a good idea of where the Sheraton is, in relation to things to see in downtown or the loop.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:52 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i have been a regular at the westin michigan avenue for years but for thanksgiving we moved to the 4 points downtown and it was great. easy parking, cheap internet and perfect location. if you are looking for a Michigan avenue shopping experience and this hotel is a lot cheaper than the others--which it was for me--- try it-- it is fine.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:50 pm

So for $10 difference, which hotel is better? W City Center or Westin River North for plat??? (note W is cheaper on this date)
Old May 24, 2008, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by anchor79
So for $10 difference, which hotel is better? W City Center or Westin River North for plat??? (note W is cheaper on this date)
In my opinion, the Westin River North is far better. The location is closer to my most favorite restaurant, Topolobomba, the W City Center rooms overlook the El and is noisy, I rarely have received a Suite at the W City Center, and a Club Lounge is not present at the W.
Old May 25, 2008, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anchor79
HAving stayed in a suite at both, I would say its a toss up in regard to what YOU are looking for. I like the rooms at the W and its location in front of the EL. However, on a weekend, the area is dead.

The Westin RN, is in a great location, but has vew suites. They do have a lounge and a decent gym. Lots of things in easy walking distance.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:29 pm

Any recent experiences?

Thanks Cheap Elite for the last post some months ago. Do we have any recent updates from the regular Chicago visitors??.I am booking for a conference soon at the Convention Centre and have had all my previous stays at the W Chicago Lakeshore which gave me an easy walk to shopping on Michigan Ave.I have enjoyed my stays there but maybe I want to check out another Hotel as suites are hard to get at the Lakeshore.
Any suggestions?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aussiechris
Thanks Cheap Elite for the last post some months ago. Do we have any recent updates from the regular Chicago visitors??.I am booking for a conference soon at the Convention Centre and have had all my previous stays at the W Chicago Lakeshore which gave me an easy walk to shopping on Michigan Ave.I have enjoyed my stays there but maybe I want to check out another Hotel as suites are hard to get at the Lakeshore.
Any suggestions?
Well here are my observations from my stays in Chicago within the past year....

Westin Chicago River North- Have stayed here a few times, never been upgraded to a suite as a Platinum but always upgraded to a corner unit and on my last stay upgraded to the Executive level. Easy walk to lots of great restaurants.

Sheraton- Upgraded to a corner unit as well, got club lounge access as a gold. Haven't stayed there as a Platinum.

W Lakeshore- Upgraded to Marvelous Suite on my last visit. Pleasant W/W staff, love the Living Room, not impressed with the Whisky Sky bar. Decent gym, has a pool which isn't too exciting and no hot tub.

W City Center- Conveniently or inconveniently located next to the El. I didn't find the noise from the El to be too noisy or bothersome. Also only a few blocks from Union Station if one wants to take a train to the burbs. Was upgraded to a Marvelous Suite as well. Good Living Room environment, Whisky Blue here was a little more exciting than the Lakeshores. No pool here and can't comment on the gym as I didn't use it.

All of them have their pluses/minuses as far as the location goes. Some more conveniently located to Michigan Ave. Hope this helps!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: DL/GM, HH/no mo status, SPG/PLAT
Originally Posted by SleepDoc
Well here are my observations from my stays in Chicago within the past year....

Westin Chicago River North- Have stayed here a few times, never been upgraded to a suite as a Platinum but always upgraded to a corner unit and on my last stay upgraded to the Executive level. Easy walk to lots of great restaurants.

Sheraton- Upgraded to a corner unit as well, got club lounge access as a gold. Haven't stayed there as a Platinum.

W Lakeshore- Upgraded to Marvelous Suite on my last visit. Pleasant W/W staff, love the Living Room, not impressed with the Whisky Sky bar. Decent gym, has a pool which isn't too exciting and no hot tub.

W City Center- Conveniently or inconveniently located next to the El. I didn't find the noise from the El to be too noisy or bothersome. Also only a few blocks from Union Station if one wants to take a train to the burbs. Was upgraded to a Marvelous Suite as well. Good Living Room environment, Whisky Blue here was a little more exciting than the Lakeshores. No pool here and can't comment on the gym as I didn't use it.

All of them have their pluses/minuses as far as the location goes. Some more conveniently located to Michigan Ave. Hope this helps!
Just as my $.02, I only stay at the WCC when I am working in the loop. It will be fairly dead on the weekends. It might be easier to get a suite upgrade, but I don't see what there is going to be to do.

I always take my wife the the W LS because we enjoy it. I have never been upgraded to a suite there on the weekend (as Plat), but I always get a good sized room with a nice view of the lake. Depending on what floor they put you on, you might only have to walk up one flight of stairs to go to Whiskey Sky.

I have never stayed at the Westin RN, so maybe I'll have to try that in the future.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Last time I was in chicago I stayed at the Westin Michigan Avenue and was assigned a huge suite (see blissworlds pics). I still need to do a review for that or at least post the pictures.

So I'm leaning towards that property right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.