Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jchacko2
Given the time of year I would say Sheraton hands down. I live in Toronto and work for a bank that our travel policy requires spg hotels. Many of our staff the come into Toronto complain about the location during the winter of the westin. Hands Dow the westin is a nicer hotel - however the Sheraton is much more central in terms if restos and stuff to do . Summer might be different buf in -30 like we have had this yr no way I'd want to walk that distance to the core.

I frequent Chicago and have switched to the W in the south loop purely due to the location . I'd prefer river north but the kind of winter Chicago is having id prefer to walk vs fight for a taxi. Not to mention that cabbies will put up a major fuss taking ur corporate card to the core in toronto
+1. Having stayed at the Westin for over 6 months last year, I would often have to take short cab rides during rainy days or severe snow. The Toronto Cabbies are notoriously bad for refusing to take cc on any fare. They will claim their machines are broken or it takes over 5 minutes to boot up. Terrible. Just for this reason the Sheraton this time of year is better.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Another twist, I might have to work on one of the MR's to YYZ. Can't do much about it so better prepare. I think airport properties would be the cheapest and most convenient for that stay.

Secondly, any reports on wifi connection? A fast internet connection would be quite essential if I have to stay inside the room and remote into work.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Mar 4, 2014 at 11:14 pm
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
Have stayed at both downtown properties and the hotel at the airport (on-site). No internet issues at any of them. I also remote in to work and often VC.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Sheraton hands down

I just completed a one night stay at both the Sheraton and the Westin and would recommend staying at the Sheraton, hands down. I'm surprised to see the more positive reviews for the Westin, given my experience. Here's why I prefer the Sheraton:

-Larger room
- More functional room (furniture included bed, desk, chair, another chair, an ottoman). Sheraton room seems to have been renovated or at least "refreshed" since I stayed a couple of years ago, and was definitely more modern and comfortable than the Westin
- Better lit room. W is my favorite Starwood brand and I still found the lighting at the Westin to be totally unacceptable. So dark. Could not work, never mind see in front of me to move around the room
- Better views. Westin has ok vies of harbor, but they are obstructed by the plantation shutters. Sheraton has better views of the city that are unobstructed by shutters
- Bathroom counter space. My room at the Westin had a pedestal sink with literally no where to put toiletries. I literally had to carry a table from the bedroom into the bathroom to have somewhere to put my bathroom accessories. Totally unacceptable! Sheraton bathroom was modern and what one would expect. No Westin showerhead either
- Club lounge. While the Westin sent up a tray of dried fruit / candy, the Sheraton offers a full club lounge with breakfast, evening snacks, and stunning views of Toronto. Just note that there IS a charge for alcoholic drinks in the Sheraton lounge (saw a customer get in a rather animated argument about this with a server after he had ordered a drink from the bar, thinking it was free of charge). Sheraton provided a decent breakfast, good evening snacks and bottles of water / soft drinks throughout day
- Location. The Sheraton is a great location, right in the middle of the city on Bay & Queen. The Westin is a little remote, especially for business, being down at the harbor
- Lobby / public area. The Sheraton has a renovated lobby with a waterfall and more attractive public spaces. I really like the bar at the Sheraton (the one in the main lobby, across from reception). Great beer selection, chill crowd, but a little expensive (as expected). Very limited public spaces in the Westin (plus no club lounge)
- Noise. Some of you mentioned noise issues at the Sheraton. I did not have any issues on this stay or when I was there a couple of years ago; however, I did notice that at the front desk, there were letters stating that any guest that was cited for a noise complaint would receive an automatic fine (of $400 CAD?) so perhaps, they are trying to cut down on noise.

In summary, to me, Sheraton wins on every dimension - better rooms, Club lounge, better location, better public spaces, better views, AND a lower price. Would definitely choose over Westin.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
- Bathroom counter space. My room at the Westin had a pedestal sink with literally no where to put toiletries. I literally had to carry a table from the bedroom into the bathroom to have somewhere to put my bathroom accessories. Totally unacceptable!
I wont respond to your other points as I have posted my feelings several times and I am cool with you having a different opinion. However, with respect to bathroom counter space your experience is very unusual. Most rooms in the Sheraton have very little bathroom counter space. Just immediately around the sink (and not much) because the counter is cut away for the toilet. Westin rooms normally have ample counter space. After several hundred nights in the Westin, I have never been in a room such as you describe with no bathroom counter space. It has happened every single time for me in the Sheraton (probably have 100+ stays at that property).
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
I wont respond to your other points as I have posted my feelings several times and I am cool with you having a different opinion. However, with respect to bathroom counter space your experience is very unusual. Most rooms in the Sheraton have very little bathroom counter space. Just immediately around the sink (and not much) because the counter is cut away for the toilet. Westin rooms normally have ample counter space. After several hundred nights in the Westin, I have never been in a room such as you describe with no bathroom counter space. It has happened every single time for me in the Sheraton (probably have 100+ stays at that property).
Perhaps my experience at the Westin was unusual. When I called the front desk to ask where the hair dryer was located, they told me it was on the shelf under the sink. I had to tell them it couldn't possibly be there because my bathroom sink was a pedestal sink with nothing at all under it and definitely no shelf. It was one of the worst bathrooms in terms of counter space that I have ever had, reminded me of the 4 Points in NY but even worse. I've certainly never had to bring a table in from the living room in order to have somewhere to put my bathroom items before!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Sheraton, hands down

I'll echo the dominant sentiment: it's the Sheraton, by a mile.

Location, location, location. The Sheraton is ideally placed for business meetings on or around Bay Street. I stay here roughly once month and it's become my base of operations when I am in Toronto.

It feels quite large, and the lobby has been extremely busy this summer with big groups of tourists.

That being said, the location can't be beat, the room quality meets with my approval (it's a North American Sheraton), the internet is fast, the club lounge offers a magnificent view, and the service is generally strong.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat (0.09 MM), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Will be staying in Toronto for 2 nights around Memorial Day weekend (first time visitor).

Is parking out of the question for restaurants in the area, and taxi best option?

Is 50 CAD for the Sheraton parking the norm for hotels downtown?

I see that if I select 2 ppl/room, room rate is 194 CAD/night, 10K points. If I go 4 ppl/room, rate is 274 CAD/night, but 10K points stayed the same. Does anyone know if they will tack on an extra charge for the points option? Should I just mark it down as 2 for check in?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by SubzeroMSP
Will be staying in Toronto for 2 nights around Memorial Day weekend (first time visitor).

Is parking out of the question for restaurants in the area, and taxi best option?

Is 50 CAD for the Sheraton parking the norm for hotels downtown?

I see that if I select 2 ppl/room, room rate is 194 CAD/night, 10K points. If I go 4 ppl/room, rate is 274 CAD/night, but 10K points stayed the same. Does anyone know if they will tack on an extra charge for the points option? Should I just mark it down as 2 for check in?
Not exactly sure when Memorial Day is, but if it's in the winter, choose the Sheraton.

$50 for parking is a bit high, but you can park underground City Hall across the street for much less. No 'in and out' privileges there though.

Taxi or walking (you can walk for miles underground) is WAY better than car for restaurants in the area.

I am surprised you can get a points rate for 4 people. Usually they are for two only. no, they won't tack on extra points for 4 people. The question is whether you will have sleeping space for 4 people, ie: two queens, or a sofa pullout. If you want a suite, book a suite. Although, depending on occupancy, they seem to have lots of suites in the upgrade pool. It's a very large hotel.

Cheers,
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Plat (0.09 MM), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
Not exactly sure when Memorial Day is, but if it's in the winter, choose the Sheraton.

$50 for parking is a bit high, but you can park underground City Hall across the street for much less. No 'in and out' privileges there though.

Taxi or walking (you can walk for miles underground) is WAY better than car for restaurants in the area.

I am surprised you can get a points rate for 4 people. Usually they are for two only. no, they won't tack on extra points for 4 people. The question is whether you will have sleeping space for 4 people, ie: two queens, or a sofa pullout. If you want a suite, book a suite. Although, depending on occupancy, they seem to have lots of suites in the upgrade pool. It's a very large hotel.

Cheers,
Timeframe will be May 22-24th. Good to know there is cheaper parking right across the street!

I really do plan to use only points for this stay. I should have Plat status before then. What do you think my chances are for an upgrade, if I book via points?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Thats the Victoria Day weekend here....

Originally Posted by SubzeroMSP
Timeframe will be May 22-24th. Good to know there is cheaper parking right across the street!

I really do plan to use only points for this stay. I should have Plat status before then. What do you think my chances are for an upgrade, if I book via points?
...so the hotel might be packed, so that might limit your u/g options.
You can park across the street under city hall for about $18/day but no in/out as stated before.
But you have street cars going right by the hotel and a subway stop nearby.
Lots of things you can walk to from this location as well.
If you are still here on the Monday you can go see the fireworks at the lake.
Just be prepared as it is a long weekend in Tronna as well so everything will be pretty packed.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:26 pm

^Victoria Day is May 18th, 2015.

Here is parking info:
http://parking.greenp.com/parking-in...re-garage.html

Over 2000 spots so should not be a problem.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Looking to head to one of these properties or On the Falls Niagra in a couple weeks and not leave the hotel or stay very close by. Visit spa, relax, eat well, etc. any recommendations?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:01 pm

Sheraton Centre Toronto Announces $90 Million Renovation

work will be ongoing, probably will be finished before Pan America Games..

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...language=en_US
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:06 pm

New Toronto PATH extension to the harbour

new extension of walkway system now allow enclosed connection from Queens Quay (near Westin Harbour Hotel) to the rest of the PATH system

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015...walk-hume.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.