Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
I'm actually in the Lobby of the Sheraton right now Got kicked out due to G20 (can't get late checkout).

Sheraton:

Plus:
- Nice Club Lounge on 43rd floor
- Great Location + Easy Access to Subway
- Indoor/Outdoor Pool

Minuses:
- Tired Rooms (quite dissapointing after the "renovations")
- Air Con in Rooms is Sub-Par, it's a very old system
- In my experience, my rooms have never been very clean

=======================

Westin:

Plus:
- Habour View/on Harbour Front
- Easy Access for Airport Bus
- Typical Westin Style

Cons:
- Location can be a minus, it's not exactly smack downtown
- Stairs up to Lobby (a bit tough to get in if you have lots of luggage)
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:24 am

I have issues with both properties; so I actually prefer the LM King Edward to either, even though the King Eddy has no pool.

Having said that, if I had to chose between the two, I would do so based on rate and season; ie: I like the Westin in the summer, for activity along the harbourfront, on the Islands, etc...; whereas I prefer the Sheraton in the winter, for easy access to the underground city/shopping/corporate office towers.

All things still being equal, the Sheraton lounge would be the Right Bower...

Cheers,
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, AA Plat
I prefer the Sheraton's location and lounge also, though the Westin does have a bit nicer rooms. I'm not a big fan of the LM King Edward -- feels too old.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Flews

All things still being equal, the Sheraton lounge would be the Right Bower
Sounds to ME like someone has spent some time in Indiana!

Dave
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I like the king eddy. Stayed at habour castle and there is no parking if it's busy. I was told I had to park at a lot 5mins away. Thankfully the thunderstorm had just passed otherwise I would have gotten soaked. Plus it's removed somewhat from downtown.
The eddy might be old but it's got charm. We had a room last time on the 2nd floor right at the farthest north east corner. The entrance was hidden somewhat and it was just a really cool spot.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Plat, MR Gold, VIPorter, Fairmont Premier, Expedia Elite Plus
I've bounced around all three (Westin Harbor, Sheraton Centre, and LM King Eddy) the past 6 months. Here's my take:

Sheraton Centre
+ Club Lounge on 43rd floor has fantastic floor to ceiling views facing both North and South (CN Tower)
+ Lounge includes basic breakfast food and evening finger foods
+ Nearby many shops, restaurants and the subway
+ Accessible via underground, the value of this cannot be underestimated during the winters
+ Good size gym and pool
+ Lobby includes 6 computers to surf for those traveling without a laptop

- As another previously mentioned, their AC is very subpar. During this recent stretch of hot humid weather, I would say the level was sufficient but not "refreshing"
- Guest Services. Many times I had to repeatedly ask for something, and a few of those times I just gave up
- Rooms are the smallest of the 3 hotels, even the junior suite with the jacuzzi is relatively small

Westin Harbour Castle
+ Nice view of the lake from the south side
+ Certain rooms come with good size balconies with lake views
+ Good size rooms

- Internet is the slowest of the 3 hotels
- Flights arriving to Island Airport make marginal noise but might bother some
- Entrance to hotel is not street level so you have to climb equivalent of 1-2 flight of stairs
- No club lounge with comp snacks/drinks

+/- Location is close to restaurants on the waterfront boardwalk but overall I find it to be rather remote. Only sports bar nearby is Hoops and it sucks though Oyshi Sushi is the best sushi place I have tried in Toronto

LM King Eddy

+ Lounge doesn't have views BUT offers free beers and wine. Mmmm.... beer
+ Lounge includes free breakfast and evening finger foods
+ Rooms are on average the largest
+ Upgrade rate was the highest of the 3 hotels, I'd say 80% of time
+ Great location, near St Lawrence Market, a 24 hour grocery store, plenty of bars, near King St Subway and Yonge St
+ AC is amazing! I had to turn it off sometimes it was so cold

- Carpet is OLD. Almost every room I've had, the edges around the room have a disturbing green/blue hue to them
- Hallways kinda smell, not enough to offend me, but not April Fresh
- No real views from any room

Personally, I'd rank it King Eddy, Sheraton, Westin with KE and Sheraton pretty close and Westin well behind
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Resurrecting this thread. Anybody stay at these properties more recently than 2010?

Also looks like the LM is no more, or am I missing something?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:08 am

I'd say mhconsulting's post from 2010 still pretty well stands (minus loss of King Eddy). Not sure about the AC situation as most of my recent stays have been during the Winter. I'd personally pick the Sheraton over Westin (especially if you will utilize the club lounge).
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:33 pm

Sheraton is far more convenient to public transport, municipal government, provincial government buildings, etc.

I prefer the Sheraton, though admittedly the rooms are beginning to appear dated.

cleo
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ldpeters
Resurrecting this thread. Anybody stay at these properties more recently than 2010?

Also looks like the LM is no more, or am I missing something?
Originally Posted by cfpmcleo
Sheraton is far more convenient to public transport, municipal government, provincial government buildings, etc.

I prefer the Sheraton, though admittedly the rooms are beginning to appear dated.

cleo

agree, above review is accurate, though I found the Sheraton Club offerings being reduced compared to 2010.

Sheraton has also been very busy on my latest visits. TO accommodate, they have moved the Platinum check-in to slightly left of the main check in area.

Location make the Sheraton more appealing (when I went to stay at the Westin, they no longer had the shuttle that took you to the DT core.)

The LM left SPG fairly quickly last summer. That is a shame as it was I liked it a lot more than the others and they were better with upgrades.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan
Le Meridien King Edward used to be my favorite in downtown Toronto but as mentioned by others it is now gone. I am currently at the Westin Harbourfront, South Tower. The view is amazing and the rooms are more or less at the Westin standard (a few misses here and there) but there are some definite negatives to this hotel: long, never ending waiting lines during rush hour at the check in desk, including the SPG "Elite" counter. Complete chaos in the entrance driveway. Impossible to get in and out quickly. The situation is worsened by major construction on the street which means traffic is slowed to a crawl. And parking is $40 w valet, $30 without. Highway robbery. Finally, there is no lounge. A rip off, if you ask me. So, I will stay here if all my other options are exhausted, but prefer the Sheraton Centre by a few miles.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: status free since 2017
bump for more recent opinions…

single guy, going for a one night layover. i will have about 10-12 waking hrs in the city so prefer to stay near tourism area (CN tower, museum etc) and bars/ restaurants.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:46 am

The Sheraton Centre is way more convenient - pretty much in the centre of downtown Toronto. The biggest bonus is that it is connected to PATH, the underground retail network. With this cold winter you can get to alot of places without ever stepping outside.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
bump for more recent opinions…

single guy, going for a one night layover. i will have about 10-12 waking hrs in the city so prefer to stay near tourism area (CN tower, museum etc) and bars/ restaurants.
If that is your primary criteria, Sheraton hands down. Having said that, it is noisy, climate control is terrible, and the rooms are dated and worn out. And if you are Platinum, expect… absolutely nothing. But based on your criteria, Sheraton all the way!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by ridefar
If that is your primary criteria, Sheraton hands down. Having said that, it is noisy, climate control is terrible, and the rooms are dated and worn out. And if you are Platinum, expect… absolutely nothing. But based on your criteria, Sheraton all the way!
At the same time, I would like to point out the difference is only $25 between the two properties (Westin Harbour being $25 more).

Would you still say the same?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.