Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
At the same time, I would like to point out the difference is only $25 between the two properties (Westin Harbour being $25 more).

Would you still say the same?
I can and do pay the difference every time. I really don't like the Sheraton (probably 200 nights there between 9 and 5 years ago. I really do like the Westin (250+ nights there in the last 3 years). So I have a bias. And as a frequent guest, the things I look for are nice staff, platinum recognition, a good gym, and quiet at night. Westin wins hands down on everything but gym--the gym at the Sheraton is excellent, the Westin's is "OK". But I am not looking to be in the centre of things, and I am OK with the 20 min walk to my office every morning. Even in the cold. I just find it a much more pleasant experience over all. So location over hotel: Sheraton. Hotel over location: Westin. Even at an extra $25 or $50.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:59 pm

bump for more recent opinions…

single guy, going for a one night layover. i will have about 10-12 waking hrs in the city so prefer to stay near tourism area (CN tower, museum etc) and bars/ restaurants.
Sheraton. I find the Westin too remote and frigid this time of Sheraton. You can pretty well walk underground to all the things you like if you stay at the Sheraton, even though the Westin is arguably a nicer property. Well, it's newer anyway. Turn off the fan and the HVAC quietens considerably.

Cheers,
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
I can and do pay the difference every time. I really don't like the Sheraton (probably 200 nights there between 9 and 5 years ago. I really do like the Westin (250+ nights there in the last 3 years). So I have a bias. And as a frequent guest, the things I look for are nice staff, platinum recognition, a good gym, and quiet at night. Westin wins hands down on everything but gym--the gym at the Sheraton is excellent, the Westin's is "OK". But I am not looking to be in the centre of things, and I am OK with the 20 min walk to my office every morning. Even in the cold. I just find it a much more pleasant experience over all. So location over hotel: Sheraton. Hotel over location: Westin. Even at an extra $25 or $50.
Having stayed at the Westin 150+ nights and 3 weeks at the Sheraton last year, I hands down agree with the above post.

Originally Posted by Flews
Sheraton. I find the Westin too remote and frigid this time of Sheraton. You can pretty well walk underground to all the things you like if you stay at the Sheraton, even though the Westin is arguably a nicer property. Well, it's newer anyway. Turn off the fan and the HVAC quietens considerably.

The only downside is the distance in the cold. Only because of the weather for the next month or so Sheraton wins. Otherwise Westin hands down.

Cheers,
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Thanks guys. Sharaton gets at least one night and Hyatt gets another. Let's see who gets the third
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
I've struggled with this one. Usually pick the Westin. It's in the middle of nowhere, but I've always had bad luck at the Sheraton with very noisy neighbours. At the Westin there is a sense of calm (until you go outside - then a sense of desolation!).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mapletree
I've struggled with this one. Usually pick the Westin. It's in the middle of nowhere, but I've always had bad luck at the Sheraton with very noisy neighbours. At the Westin there is a sense of calm (until you go outside - then a sense of desolation!).
Haha! I think I will go with rideafar's suggestions on Sheraton then. Desolation by the frozen waters doesn't sound calming.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by mapletree
The Sheraton is explicitly sold and marketed as a conference hotel. The Westin is much less so--not to say they don't hold any, but definitely not the same frequency or size. In my experience, conference groups tend to be noisier because they tend to be composed of people that dont stay at hotels regularly and dont get what the reguarly business traveler wants most: QUIET! Also, the Sheraton tower has 50 rooms per floor all down one hallway, as opposed to 20 per floor in two towers at the Westin, so if you do get somebody noisy there is more chance of them being audible to more people.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:36 pm

Haha! I think I will go with rideafar's suggestions on Sheraton then. Desolation by the frozen waters doesn't sound calming.
Smart move. If you were just going to stay inside, might as well stay at one of the two excellent Sheratons at the airport.

Cheers,
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flews
Smart move. If you were just going to stay inside, might as well stay at one of the two excellent Sheratons at the airport.

Cheers,
23hr turnaround even during a MR is too long to waste in a airport hotel.

But just for information sake… any recommendations between either?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
Given the time of year I would say Sheraton hands down. I live in Toronto and work for a bank that our travel policy requires spg hotels. Many of our staff the come into Toronto complain about the location during the winter of the westin. Hands Dow the westin is a nicer hotel - however the Sheraton is much more central in terms if restos and stuff to do . Summer might be different buf in -30 like we have had this yr no way I'd want to walk that distance to the core.

I frequent Chicago and have switched to the W in the south loop purely due to the location . I'd prefer river north but the kind of winter Chicago is having id prefer to walk vs fight for a taxi. Not to mention that cabbies will put up a major fuss taking ur corporate card to the core in toronto
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:28 am

Yes. The Sheraton actually attached to the airport and with the train/transit to T1. It is really pretty good. The soundproofing in the rooms is unreal. And you can just sit there and watch the airplane traffic at the airport from your room (I am enough of a plane geek this is fun for me), and the lobby/bar is usually pretty active. The Westin that is just off the airport isnt very nice; it is not terrible, but it is the least nice Westin in Canada for sure.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation Westin vs. Sheraton at Pearson

If cost is a consideration, the Westin wins out..........its widely available on weekends via spgescapes for as little as $78 (SPG member rate). Also, SPG Plat upgrade includes cold buffet breakfast, which is otherwise priced at $25.
The downside? Rooms are dated, the gym is so so, and you need to take the shuttle.

Otherwise, my preference is the Sheraton. You cannot beat the location (walk to T3, take the sky train to T1), the club lounge is better than the one at the Sheraton Centre downtown. The best available rate, however, can be $149, I have even seen $179. Yikes! This is not LAX!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

The one in T3 is called Sheraton Gateway and I would recommend this one as well for convenience, plus I like their lounge. Sheraton Airport and Westin Bristol Place are both off airport properties, but have a shuttle.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:14 pm

If I live in Sheraton by the airport, how far is the nearest bar/restaurant or I have to live on room service? Or perhaps there is a convenient way to get to downtown from the hotel?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:41 pm

If I live in Sheraton by the airport, how far is the nearest bar/restaurant or I have to live on room service? Or perhaps there is a convenient way to get to downtown from the hotel?
Airport is a long way from downtown. 30-40 minutes by Taxi, longer if traffic is bad. If you want restaurants and bars nearby, and if you are staying for more than 1 night, then stay at one of the downtown properties for sure--no way do you want to go back and forth every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.