Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It is probably a delicate balance. This hotel gets a lot of walk up business. I see it whenever I am standing in line to check in. These folks are paying well over €200 most nights. On the other hand, they have airline business too and I would guess that those rooms go for less than €100. Then there are the corporate rates.

As for the facilities, don't forget the gym, steam and sauna! Those are what make the difference for me.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:53 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FD1971
I agree it is pretty expensive, but isn't it about location, location, location...?
agreed, the IHG properties that call themselves Schiphol properties is a joke of a title, they aren't true airport properties IMO.

While from experience the Sheraton is a super quick walk to the terminal, Hilton a bit farther out, the Citizen M is also a 'walk to' hotel, no shuttle required.

I'm only bringing it up as an FT'er mentioned it to me over a dinner this past week, I had originally thought that only 'walk to' hotels at Schiphol were the Sheraton & Hilton.

90 Euro will go a long way towards enjoying our 24 hours in Amsterdam as I've already told Mrs Sweet Willie that we are not there to shop for diamonds.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
CitizenM is just a few more steps to the terminal than the Sheraton (part of it outside, but a covered walkway).

I've tried both, but still prefer the Sheraton even at a slightly higher cost due to:

- SPG points
- Decent chance of upgrade
- Club Lounge
- Services (fitness center, printers in the Link, etc.)
- Luggage storage with bell staff between stays

Of course there are times when the Sheraton AMS is way out of line pricewise, then I'll now take another look at the Pulitzer with breakfast & internet for Plats.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

Of course there are times when the Sheraton AMS is way out of line pricewise, then I'll now take another look at the Pulitzer with breakfast & internet for Plats.
Sheraton AMS gives free internet for Plats, as do all Starwood properties.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:03 am
Company Representative - Starwood Area Manager the Netherlands

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Sheraton AMS gives free internet for Plats, as do all Starwood properties.
...and free breakfast in the Club Lounge even if all the Club rooms are sold out and no upgrades possible for Platinums!

Kurt Renold
Area Manager The Netherlands
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by FD1971
On a sidenote, the high prices backed up one of the best club lounges in Europe, very decent food, excellent views, open on weekends, far superior to the Hilton down the long walkway.
I agree the lounge is very nice with great views, but the last time I was there at weekend the lounge was closed and they gave us drinks vouchers for the bar. Has it reopened at weekends ?.

Originally Posted by stimpy
This hotel gets a lot of walk up business. I see it whenever I am standing in line to check in. These folks are paying well over €200 most nights.
Yep, I also regularly see walk up's enquiring about rooms. It can be quite frustrating if you are behind one waiting to check in as they invariably haggle about the rate and/or demand detailed explanations of what they get etc so it can take a while.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Yep, I also regularly see walk up's enquiring about rooms. It can be quite frustrating if you are behind one waiting to check in as they invariably haggle about the rate and/or demand detailed explanations of what they get etc so it can take a while.
This is true and one of the biggest problems at this hotel. Check in and out can take forever which is a major negative for an airport hotel. At check in, you are often very tired from a long flight, and at check out you need to run to catch your flight. Back when you could count on the Club room being staffed, I would always do check in and out there. But you can't count on that anymore. They keep changing things in the Club.

Please staff the Club room for check in and out and please staff more people at the front desk when there are queues.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
iirc, the option to do an instant upgrade using points on top of a C&P award stay varies by the policy of each property.

I (a lowly SPG Gold) just booked a C&P Wed night stay - any idea if the Sheraton AMS offers this?
Old May 4, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I'm just curious... my wife and I are considering a trip to Amsterdam. The C&P rate is quite attractive to me. If one could choose between the Cat 5 Pulitzer and the Cat 4 Sheraton AMS (both at C&P rates), would I be making a wrong choice if I chose the airport location? We would be playing tourist in AMS.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by DHAST
I'm just curious... my wife and I are considering a trip to Amsterdam. The C&P rate is quite attractive to me. If one could choose between the Cat 5 Pulitzer and the Cat 4 Sheraton AMS (both at C&P rates), would I be making a wrong choice if I chose the airport location? We would be playing tourist in AMS.
I havent stayed at the Sheraton. However, considering the location, if both hotels were available at C&P rates, I would recommend the Pulitzer without hesitation. If you are planning a trip to the Keukenhof gardens, a night at the Sheraton may be okay (although not required) as the bus to the gardens departs from the airport (we took another bus from the Pulitzer to the airport which took an extra 25 minutes). The Pulitzer has plenty of really nice bars and cafes nearby plus it is within walking distance of a lot of sights (incl the Anne Frank House, Dam square etc.).
Old May 4, 2010, 1:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
would I be making a wrong choice if I chose the airport location? We would be playing tourist in AMS.
YES! Why on earth do you want to stay at an uninspiring airport hotel when you have to been in Amsterdam city center? Except if you have a very early flight in the morning.

Tough the Sheraton is quite nice for a airport hotel it doesn't come close to the atmosphere of the Pulizer. If the Pulizer is to expensive for you I would choose a non SPG hotel in the city centre!
Old May 4, 2010, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by thomas199023
YES! Why on earth do you want to stay at an uninspiring airport hotel when you have to been in Amsterdam city center? Except if you have a very early flight in the morning.
To be blunt, the reviews of the Pulitzer are quite mixed.

I don't know if there is any sort of policy (written or unwritten) with respect to the type of room assigned on C&P stays, but I would be worried that I would be stuck in an undesirable room, as I may not have status when I make this trip.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thomas199023

Tough the Sheraton is quite nice for a airport hotel it doesn't come close to the atmosphere of the Pulizer. If the Pulizer is to expensive for you I would choose a non SPG hotel in the city centre!
In many ways the Sheraton is a better hotel. It has a Club lounge and a much better health club. And it is just a 15 minute train ride to Centraal Station. It takes nearly as long to get there from the Pulitzer. I don't see any problem staying at the Sheraton, especially if it is significantly cheaper.

If you really expect to be out enjoying Amsterdam, who cares about the hotel? You are just going to spend a few hours sleeping there anyways.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
If you really expect to be out enjoying Amsterdam, who cares about the hotel?
Granted, your point is well taken (and I've stayed in a handful of hostels in various parts of Asia on the same principle) but it does matter. I do look for price/value (yes, they can be different) and if I'm overpaying for a mediocre hotel, I want to know.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:08 pm

Granted, your point is well taken (and I've stayed in a handful of hostels in various parts of Asia on the same principle) but it does matter. I do look for price/value (yes, they can be different) and if I'm overpaying for a mediocre hotel, I want to know.
You've already mentioned that you are paying C&P, I feel that no matter what room you get it will be above mediocre for your value. Your info shows that you are SPG gold, so the lounge and breakfast will not apply in this case. There is only one type of room you will be put in for C&P's at either hotel, most likely you will not be upgraded.

I myself would rather stay near the city than at the airport location, just so I can soak up more of what life is like there. I'm sure if you were horribly dissatisfied with the room given to you that you could at least try and ask them for a different room. For $90 and 4800 or so points I feel this is an excellent deal and I think you should spend more time on looking up things you would like to do or explore in the city. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.