Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Had a stay earlier in the week. Great service all around. Nice room too. Even had some drinks with a fellow FTer who happened to be sitting next to me in the lounge. Not a Kool-Aid drinker but I haven't had a bad stay in an Asian Hyatt yet -- one hiccup re bill at the PH PEK but that was fixed immediately. Service and rooms have been great. I can't picture stays like those described above by ZBF - ouchie. My only complaint re GH SIN would be that the hawker center down the road is closed for renovations

Cheers
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Not a Kool-Aid drinker but I haven't had a bad stay in an Asian Hyatt yet -- one hiccup re bill at the PH PEK but that was fixed immediately. Service and rooms have been great.
I agree. It's totally ruined me for US properties.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:24 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Grand King

Grand Hyatt Singapore

Map| 4 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Grand Hyatt Singapore

10 Scotts Road Singapore, SG 228211

Grand King (0 Photo)

Grand Hyatt Singapore

HOTEL REVIEW : GRAND HYATT SINGAPORE – GRAND KING

DSC09775CMH

The Grand Hyatt Singapore has been a prominent structure in the heart of Orchard Road. With it’s glass doors and nimble bellboys it radiates with luxury upon shoppers passing by, filling them with a sense of wonder and yearning. I booked a stay with their most basic room, the Grand King using Travelpony.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 12

Direct rates were $411.95 SGD (without breakfast) or $441.38 SGD (with breakfast). However, I paid $168.00 SGD (with breakfast) during a flash sale on Travelpony. Since the price after taxes came to above 200.00 USD, I was able to use my referral code for $35.00 USD off, and my Travelpony credits for a further $50.00 USD off. You can get your free $35.00 USD Credit ( Affiliate links removed, refer to the Travelpony referral conga on Flyertalk )

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 13

As a Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum member, I enjoyed a minor upgrade to a preferred room with a nice view of the pool and a late 2pm checkout. I was quite surprised with this privilege, as it was a third-party booking and my experience with Intercontinental Hotel Group & Hilton HHonors are that they only give benefits for direct bookings.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 14The Grand King was situated at the Grand Wing of the hotel, with a bulging window that makes it seem like a corner room. Think the Esplanade. My first impression of the room was that it was really spacious, similar to the standard rooms of St.Regis Singapore. This made the rates for this hotel more convincing. The second thing I noticed was the lighting in the room, which was done brilliantly.

DSC09760CMHThe bathroom was also spacious, with a rainshower and large bathtub.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 15The amenities provided were from June Jacobs, Hyatt must really love Green Tea and Cucumbers. Although this “Zen” preference felt refreshing, the smell and perfume did not really resonate with me. I wonder if the amenities for guests with Club Benefits will be different? I’ll probably find out on my next stay.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 8The bathroom also has a powder/make-up table. The doors to the sliding cupboard are ingeniously designed to allow a naked person to fish for their robes and clothes right from the bathroom (do make sure curtains are drawn!). I wish more hotels would have this feature.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 7The pantry & minibar of the Grand King was stocked with bottled water, TWG teas (the only way to go), premium potato chips (I love Torres), a half-bottle of wine, nuts and chocolates carefully divided into complementary and paid drawers.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 6My preferred room had a nice view of the swimming pool while I work at processing my photos.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 5Even though the swimming pool was average-sized, it boasts quality. With gazebos and chairs on the water, it seemed pretty unique and a good use of space.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 4The Fitness Center of the hotel sleek & grand. Filled with the latest touchscreen equipment, one can excercise in luxury while losing the weight you just put on from breakfast !

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 3Breakfast is served at Straits Kitchen, Grand Hyatt Singapore’s main buffet restaurant. I was surprised to find out that this restaurant does not serve pork at all, So i bet it’s halal certified, Especially with the amount of Muslim guests that I spotted. I think that more can be done to get the word out there about this restaurant as it can be a powerful selling point to attract certain market segments to stay at the Grand Hyatt Singapore.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 2Frittata, lasagna, sauteed vegetables, beef and chicken sausages cooked to a high standard. The Straits Kitchen even had an Indian cuisine corner with freshly made “roti prata”, curries and vegetarian dishes. Nasi lemak and chicken rendang was also available, along with a live egg and noodle soup station. The Chinese fare such as stir fried kuay teow and fried carrot cake was done pretty well. Outstanding variety.

Grand Hyatt Singapore - Grand King 1The Grand Hyatt Singapore has more than proven it’s place in the heart of Orchard Road. Although it is a dated hotel, the management is very efficient in dealing with the maintenance of the rooms should problems arise in order to convey across the level of luxury and charm that this property possesses. A great venue for a staycation if you have plans around the Orchard Road area.

I blog at www.checkmyhacks.com

Grand King

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt Singapore?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Nice review.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Just completed a two night stay here. Service is great but outside of that I'm not sure this property should command the price that comes along with the GH name. It's definitely more suited for the regency type, it's former self. Club is nice enough, limited spread for breakfast. We used a DSU and it booked into the duplex suite, the two stories were more of an annoyance than anything else. If you don't need the extra space, I didn't find the suite that great. Location is nice for shopping, which my wife seemed to appreciate. The hotel definitely is dated and seems a bit tired. Very 90s feel with lots of wood and stone.

When I'm in Singapore next, I'll probably give the Conrad a spin.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tyvoodoo
I'm not sure this property should command the price that comes along with the GH name.
The label doesn't command the price, the location does....
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wood and stone is 90s? Oh.
Old May 21, 2016, 9:10 pm

Just finished a 3 night stay here, we upgraded to a duplex suite and it's pretty awesome. You can probably host 10-12 people for a get together in the suite. The max occupancy for guests is 3 for the duplex suite and they didn't seem to charge us extra for a third person vs other hyatts. Staff were helpful and friendly. My biggest issue is that you can no longer have breakfast at the straits kitchen as a Diamond member (vs our previous stays) and they need to communicate that better at checkin-in.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wood and stone is 90s? Oh.
The remodeling at the facility has put a contemporary veneer on the hotel surfaces, and they did a higher quality job of installation than a lot of other hotels in Asia in the execution of those refits.

However, the overall structure didn't change, and the architecture and layout cues are very 1990s.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
My biggest issue is that you can no longer have breakfast at the straits kitchen as a Diamond member (vs our previous stays) and they need to communicate that better at checkin-in.
That's been pretty consistently reported in this thread for nearly a year.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:05 am

I'm staying in Singapore for 3 nights in late Jan-early Feb 2017. For those who are familiar with the IC, how do the 2 properties compare? I like the IC location more, but IC gives no real benefits like lounge, breakfast. On the other hand, breakfast doesn't look very impressive in the Grand Club lounge at GH. What do you think?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm staying in Singapore for 3 nights in late Jan-early Feb 2017. For those who are familiar with the IC, how do the 2 properties compare? I like the IC location more, but IC gives no real benefits like lounge, breakfast. On the other hand, breakfast doesn't look very impressive in the Grand Club lounge at GH. What do you think?
I found the breakfast to be good. Egg station, with fast service. Few rotating hot items (western and Chinese) alongside. Great bread and pastries, smoked salmon, large fruit selection, cheeses, Bircher muesli, fancy yogurts, great selection of juices. I stayed for 10 nights, and usually get bored with lounge breakfasts pretty quickly, but not this one.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Stayed at the GH Singapore earlier this month for 3 nights. I had a good stay but I was surprised how old the hotel felt. The lounge breakfast was sufficient for me and my party, enough choices to have a good breakfast. Service at the lounge was good.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:01 pm

I am having a difficult time applying a DSU here, the hotel insists on booking me into the Grand Duplex (which is not available on my dates), even though I was fine with using a DSU to go into the 2 bedroom deluxe. I then asked about using a DSU and paying-up for the Grand Suite and was told it's not their policy. Really surprised at the lack of flexibility.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:24 pm

Best I can tell is that there is one single Duplex suite, and hence the reason the hotel owners designate such suite as the DSU-eligible room type. You can test this yourself with a dummy reservation at the end of the schedule for the Duplex suite online.

Further, best I can tell, hotel owners receive no revenue from Hyatt Gold Passport when a diamond uses a DSU. It's just a cost of business for being managed by Hyatt. Ergo, some hotels owners feel incented to limit this DSU benefit as much as the rules of Hyatt permit.

Given this knowledge, it makes sense from the owners perspective to not permit a paid upgrade to a higher category suite just to force the use of a DSU.

In the case of this hotel, it does seem excessively prude for the owners to preserve their SGD1000/n Grand Suite only for full revenue reservations. Anyone with SGD1000/n to spend sure as hell isn't staying at the Grand Hyatt in Singapore. I suspect the hotel has Grand Suites unsold most nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.