Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt1
The Exec Lounge in the Park Lane Hilton is large and well stocked and newly refurbished. Although the hotel has its faults and basicly a concreet tower with little charicture, it does have great views of london.

I always find that they look after me as Gold and Diamond and have never being refused lonnge access - there is a guest relations desk next to check in to moan to if they do refuse lounge or any problems. I stayed at the Paddington once and didn't like it - it is not central for the sights and shops unlike the Park lane which is - I also find the Green Park Hilton very nice hotel in great location - No lounge but expect breakfast.
I would agree with your assessment of the Park Lane. The executive lounge is better than most North American Hiltons. I was treated very well as a Diamond and upgraded to a suite on a reward stay. The location is excellant as well.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CO Silver, IC Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Explore
Some more details:

We'll not be visiting small cities or motorway hotels, except Bath perhaps. We'll be in Glasgow and Manchester (city center/airport), maybe in Newcastle. Also London. We're interested in better Hiltons with an executive lounge or special character, including the Tower Bridge Hilton, Paddington Hilton, and the London Conrad (for one night).

In addition to lounge access OR full breakfast, we're interested in rooms with an excellent view or other distinctive features (such as the high-ceilinged street-facing parlor rooms at Paddington), if the property has such. In the U.S. I try to contact the GM's office or the front office manager to arrange good room locations in advance. Is this likely to be productive in the U.K.? (Corporate may be limiting their flexibility.)

Thanks!
The Bath Hilton has very little in the way of amenities; there's no Exec lounge, a very minimalist leisure centre and is built on top of a supermarket carpark. The view on the river side is better than the alternative (street) side and the hotel is located within 2 minutes walk of Bath's Pump Room and er, Baths. [I had a run-in with Hilton when they closed the larger gym facility in Bath some 18 months ago, due to the unsuitability for providing accessible routes to the gym. Whilst I sympathise, I did question how many users with accessible needs would frequent the gym! PC gone mad, as always in the UK].

All the rooms in Bath are relatively small; beds are bigger in US hotels!! I'm not trying to put you off, I just don't want you to be surprised.

All that said, Bath is a charming city, choc-ful of character, and well-placed to visit the Cotswolds area, one of the UK's more attractive locations. It's certainly worth a visit, if you've not been in the area before.

Hope that helps ...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:47 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
i stayed at the canary wharf hilton this past november on a glon2, 6 night award for 150,000 points. recd exec floor room and lounge access. lounge was very nice with great sunset views of london.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Thanks for additional feedback. I wouldn't expect as much in Bath, but the proximity to the original baths is an important feature. Is the recent restoration proving successful?

We too had a good stay at Park Lane 3 years ago, except for a wall panel falling off in the room, and their Buckingham Palace and Parliament view from the lounge is indeed spectacular. I would be interested to hear any accounts of changed circumstances for Diamonds since the infamous directive from HH Glasgow last year.

Canary Wharf is probably a good bet because few tourists think to stay there, tho it's close to Greenwich and an abundance of rail lines. Good advice!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Issues of Concern

Last year's HH Glasgow directive seems to bar Diamond upgrades of more than one room level. I'm concerned that on an award stay, we'll have to book the lowest room level, then will not be upgraded to executive floor if there happens to be an intermediate "deluxe" level. Has this occurred for anyone on a British award stay in the last 6 months? If so, what propert(ies)? Stays prior to July 2006 may not be so relevant.

Also, for anyone not scoring the executive floor, did you receive breakfast, or a lesser amenity? (Let's exclude the Waldorf and Trafalgar, since their policies have been heavily discussed.)
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:11 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Explore
Some more details:

We'll not be visiting small cities or motorway hotels, except Bath perhaps. We'll be in Glasgow and Manchester (city center/airport), maybe in Newcastle. Also London. We're interested in better Hiltons with an executive lounge or special character, including the Tower Bridge Hilton, Paddington Hilton, and the London Conrad (for one night).

In addition to lounge access OR full breakfast, we're interested in rooms with an excellent view or other distinctive features (such as the high-ceilinged street-facing parlor rooms at Paddington), if the property has such. In the U.S. I try to contact the GM's office or the front office manager to arrange good room locations in advance. Is this likely to be productive in the U.K.? (Corporate may be limiting their flexibility.)

Thanks!
Out of your list, I would steer you towards Newcastle and/or Manchester (city centre, NOT airport). Both generally treat Diamonds well, and both are brand new and well located. If you get a river view room at Newcastle, you will have great views of the bridge etc. We've been upgraded to rooms will Balconys, which have been great with a drink in hand from the lounge! Glasgow is again a nice hotel, but is not quite as well located. It treats Diamonds OK, but does not have that many exec rooms and a smaller lounge hence greater problem with getting upgraded to a room that gives access. As a tourist, I would recommend Newcastle and Manchester over glasgow, but thats just my view.

Also, not on your list but I really like Cardiff as a city (went to Uni here) and the Hilton is good (and fairly new) with exec lounge. Its easy to get to from London, or bath by train or car.

I did not like Bath Hilton when I stayed a few years back. Would avoid at all costs if you ask me !

You can find reviews of all these hotels via search.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
London-Scotland intinerary help

Need some advice for a family trip this summer. Daughter is looking into a 3 week study abroad trip to London-we are thinking about meeting her there and tacking on our family vacation at the end of her coursework (myself, husband, and college student brother). We will have 9 or 10 nights to spend. I am trying to maximize potential use of AXON 4 night stay awards. I would like to spend 4 nights in London and possibly 4 at Hilton Dunkeld in Scotland. This leaves 2 days. I also thought about taking the train from London to Edinburgh, renting a car for the trip to Dunkeld, 4 nights in Dunkeld and then a stopover for one night on the way back to Heathrow or Gatwick prior to our flight home. Is this do-able? Is it woth the drive up to Dunkeld? Any suggestions welcome!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:00 am

I'm very interested in seeing the responses to this. I booked a week in Dunbartonshire Scotland and another week in Devon England with 5 days between when we would like to see London. We'd need two rooms in London.

After that, I completely stalled with my planning, especially when I saw the summer airfares.

Sheila
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Scotland is a beautiful place, and time there is well-spent I'd say. Seems like you are considering several nights in the countryside (Dunkeld, which I've never seen but I hear is nice). What about spending more time in Edinburgh? It deserves at least a couple days to visit the castle, the Royal Mile, etc. Both Hiltons there are acceptable (although not remarkable), and walking around the city is easy enough.

Alas, I have not driven to Dunkeld, but don't see much of an issue getting there by car. Warning: the highway from London to Edinburgh is a long day's drive. Note: the closer you are to London, the more difficult driving becomes (because of the crowded round-abouts and just sheer volume of cars - particularly to be avoided in rush-hours). I'd plan on staying overnight at whichever airport Hilton you are leaving from in order to avoid morning rush (i.e., Heathrow Hilton or Gatwick Hilton - Gatwich is very easy to walk to terminal).

The train is also a nice idea, and makes sightseeing along the way easy, but you definitely need a car to see the countryside of Scotland. Just be sure to request automatic, unless you are more talented than I am with your left-handed shifting.

In fact, what about just getting a train or flight to Edinburgh from London, driving from there around Scotland and then hopping back on a train or flight back to the airport of your choice to London from Edinburgh when you are ready to leave? This would avoid the potential nightmare of London traffic altogether, and Edinburgh airport is MUCH more manageable in terms of getting in/out and around! Note: flying into and out of London can be like flying into and out of NYC airports in terms of logistics.

In any case, have fun.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
It is very do-able. However you might not have the greatest time driving in or out of London. I agree with the previous poster on the train or a cheap flight to Edinburgh or Glasgow.
I have driven in the UK and find it to be fun driving "backwards". That said the Scot countryside is definitely worth driving in. You want to get a VERY good map showing ALL the roads and what designation they are. The B & C roads are a trip all to themselves. Also check out Historic Scotland and the National Trust for discounts and passes on access to the historic sites.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We've done a couple of all-over-Britain roadies. I used to live there and have taken family back a couple of times.

My basic take on hotels in the UK is probably counter to a lot of advice you'll get here: I avoid the big American business hotels. They are either (a) bland, or (b) extremely expensive. In London, I suppose I might do an AXON for convenience sake. In Scotland, there are so many awesome B&B's throughout the countryside that I'd never consider using my HH points. Even in Edinburgh - lovely city, by the way - I'd go with a B&B or other boutique hotel.

Driving isn't really a problem once you get used to it. We always got a rental car for maximum flexibility. On a 2-week trip to the UK, we'd usually pick up and drop off the car in central London at one of the many rental agencies throughout the city. Basically, for our in-London time, we'd have no car - use trains to get to/from the airports. The only recommendation I'd give is to arrange your pickup outside of rush hour. One time I found a place open at 7AM on a Saturday...picked up the car then, and had no problem zipping out of London to the highways heading north.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Catch the train up, but book it 2-3 mths ahead if you can. A first class round trip, travelling off peak is available London-(Kings cross) to Edinburgh for £69.00.this includes seat assignments and refreshments...and takes just over 4hrs. DON'T travel on a Sunday, as this is when Engineering work is undertaken. If you try and book on the day, it could cost you OVER £300 and you could even end up standing!!! Booking a hire car locally in Scotland is well worth it. an inclusive weekend rental should be about £100.00
Don't even THINK about driving in London... I would suggest leaving London on a thursday............. Enjoy!! Oh, & the Hilton at Edinburgh airport is more like a Motel..........
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:49 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Concur with the above. We did the train to York (stayed two nights) and carried on to Edinburgh. I had to phone GNER to get the cheap tickets - maybe now they are available online but they weren't in 2004 for foreigners. You can pick them up at the machine in the station. For us it was worth it to get a family rail card. We did open-jaw award tickets and just flew back home from Edinburgh via London. We did four days in the city and one driving around to Stirling and tracking down the ancient family hovel. Gorgeous countryside - would love to go back and see the Highlands.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:50 am
cjd

Deleted

Last edited by cjd; Feb 4, 2007 at 1:56 am
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:10 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
this is really veering away from Hilton -

SO I leave it to the OP - if you want HILTON advice please post your Hilton questions, otherwise it's turning into a Britain tour thread and I'll move it to the appropriate forum.

thanks

squeakr
MOD Hilton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.