Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
Looking forward to the rest! Awesome report.
Great to hear SmokeyTheBear ^
I'm 99% sure I have a reference about you in a part, Part 18 or 19 I think so end of this week

Originally Posted by alpen1
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Wow, United doesn't give you a bread plate? Yummm, sticky cinnamon bun with table cloth fluff on the bottom
Not on that occasion, I did look back to my other UA F and they did have a plate before. What were they thinking right?
Maybe trying to decrease weight on the plane and save fuel?
Smi/J needs every last cent of revenue to help his year-end bonus

Originally Posted by vecta
To be honest, it's your writing style along with the pictures that I enjoy reading. The where/how/why/etc doesn't really matter a whole lot, it's all about being engaged in the report, which I have been with all of yours.

Keep it up!
Thanks vecta for the feedback, it really helps me on the last minute tweak that I do before I make the posting.
Will get another part up later today.

A good comparison of Domestic AA vs. UA coming up, and why this guy is a AA Loyalist for the time being.

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Nov 12, 2013 at 1:49 am
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 13 – Toronto to Miami via NYC and Dallas, American Airlines Domestic First

After one quick overnight in Niagara spending some time with my date and a lunch in Toronto the next day with a friend, it was time to reposition to New York City for the LAN Business Class NYC – SCL deal. I know some people got the fare to IPC but I was date restricted (last day of use for the fare was June 12) and I wanted to get to get a LGA – DFW – MIA – SCL with the MIA – SCL on LAN metal .

Jun 8, 2013 – Saturday
AA 4641 YYZ – LGA 5:25pm – 7:05pm (CR7/Y)
Jun 9, 2013 – Sunday
AA 731 LGA – DFW 10:15am – 1:10pm (738/F)
AA 1090 DFW – MIA 3:55pm – 7:50pm (752/F)

I got back to Pearson at 3:15pm, well ahead of scheduled departure time, with enough time to cross Pre-Clearance.

Toronto Pearson International Airport Terminal 3

The Old AA Lives on

I had just about a full hour in the Toronto Admiral’s Club before I made my way down to the Eagle Pen at 5pm, gate B6 or A9, still the same place for the Eagle flights.
Sadly we didn’t start boarding the flight til 5:20pm, guess we’re not going to be on time today.

American Eagle Canadian Regional Jet 700

*17th flight, 48139 Miles flown since Apr 28
American Airlines 4641
Toronto Pearson to New York LaGuardia
Scheduled - 5:25pm – 7:05pm, 1 hr 40 mins flight
Delayed Departure – 6:14pm, Late Acceptance of Paxs due JFK flight Mechanical, Weight & Balance Issue, Extra fuel
Delayed Arrival – 7:32pm
Economy Class, Seat 5C
Food – Refreshment
Equipment – Canadian Regional Jet 700 (9F/56Y Configuration) Operated By American Eagle

As I was on a one-way Avios reward ticket, 5C it is.

American Eagle Canadian Regional Jet 700 First Class Cabin

American Eagle Canadian Regional Jet 700 Economy Class Cabin

The bulkhead, 5C, has even better legroom than those First Class seat, but the seat itself is pretty narrow

Sadly our flight kept getting delayed later and later as the JFK flight, 3831 I think it was first had a mechanical at JFK and was later cancelled, so YYZ operation tried to put more people onto our originally empty LGA flight.
More bags, more pax, about 20 more than before, we were like 1J/29Y to start and ended up with 3J/48Y as the final load.
And what happens when you add 20 extra pax, that’s a lot of extra weight you didn’t planned for. So you’ve killed your original flight plan, loading and load sheet, and you needed more fuel, so everything needed to be brand new.

I don’t think the fuel man was very happy today, he came back 3 times in 1 hour

Door closed finally at 6:14pm, with pushback at 5 mins later. I was still lucky to have an empty 5D for the flight so a 2 seater Y seat tonight. Tonight’s flight time was 52 minutes, guess Saturday traffic is light

If it’s anything I like about travelling in the summer, long summer days

And the comped EXP snack as usual

And around 7:05pm, we finally started our descent for LaGuardia and got in at 7:32pm.

A quick cab ride to catch up with jfkeze, and my time to pay up another rent for my monthly stay at the jfkeze hostel

An 8:15am cab back out LaGuardia and got there just around 8:40am so doing good time overall.

New York LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal

Premium passengers can’t be seen

And with just about 5 minutes wait, and no massage at LGA, yay!
Airside and off to the LaGuardia Admiral’s Club, I don’t usually do many if any pics of domestic club, but it’s really the 1st time I’ve seen the LGA club empty enough for photos ever since it has been fully renovated.

New York LaGuardia American Airlines Admiral’s Club

Part 13 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Jan 11, 2014 at 4:55 am
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I’m going to miss you old friend when that day comes

And at 9:35am, I made my way down to Gate D10 for the Dallas Departure

American Airlines Boeing 737-800

*I know this isn’t Gate D10

*18th flight, 49525 Miles flown since Apr 28
American Airlines 731
New York LaGuardia to Dallas Ft. Worth
Scheduled - 10:15am – 1:10pm, 3 hr 55 min flight
Actual Departure – 10:04am
Delayed Arrival – 1:20pm
First Class, Seat 5B
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Boeing 737-800 (16F/56Y+/78Y Configuration “Non-BSI”)

*It’s not 40+ like United UDU, but I would not want to be #21 on that list

American Airlines Boeing 737-800 First Class Cabin

American Airlines Boeing 737-800 First Class Seat

*I know others like the old 738 F seats but for short folks like me, I like the newer seats

Boarding started exactly at 9:45am, water and OJ PDB were served while boarding was in progress and with a lucky break today, door closed early at 10:04am, and pushback 3 mins later.
Flight time was a quick-ish 3 hours 15 Minutes to Dallas Ft. Worth, with a planned arrival of 12:45pm Dallas time

AA 731 Lunch

Main Course
Chicken Parmigiana
Breaded Chicken Breast with Pomodoro Sauce and Provolone Cheese served with Haricot Verts

Chilled Teriyaki Beef
With Scallion, Red Bell Pepper and Udon Noodle Salad

*After the sad UA meal 2 days ago, happy to be back on AA metal

And at 12:20pm, we made our descent into the DFW Metroplex

Part 13 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 9:50 am
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Finally landed at 12:45pm, 25 minutes before arrival, you know what it is.
Our gate was still occupied we were stuck on the ground for 40 minutes waiting for a C gate to open up, ouch!

I decided to head off to the DFW Terminal A for the fantastic showers and while in the meanwhile take some plane spotting photos on the skytrain

Dallas Ft. Worth Terminal A American Airlines Admiral’s Club

In the meanwhile, 1090 to Dallas is showing a delay of 50 minutes, plenty of time for that shower. Around 3:30pm, I went back over to the C gates as 1090 was leaving from Gate C11.

Today was DelAAysville sadly

American Airlines Boeing 757-200

*19th flight, 50644 Miles flown since Apr 28
American Airlines 1090
Dallas Ft. Worth to Miami Int’l
Scheduled - 3:55pm – 7:50pm, 2 hr 55 mins flight
Delayed Departure – 4:30pm, Company Decision to hold Aircraft
Delayed Arrival – 8:19pm
First Class, Seat 2E
Food – Snack
Equipment – Boeing 757-200 (24F/52Y+/108Y New Configuration)

With all the early t-storms in DFW, most of the early DFW departures were thrown off the loop, hence despite our 752 was at the gate by 2:15pm, departure and delay reason were set as “Company Decision”

And delayed departure time of 4:45pm was originally set

But by 3:50pm, the gate reverted back to an earlier Delayed time of 4:25pm
What in the bloody hell is going on???

Part 13 Continues

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 9:51 am
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:27 am
Original Poster

This threw a lot of people off as the gate wasn’t very packed at the start but did pick up once boarding began at 4:00pm.

American Airlines Boeing 757-200 Refurbished First Class Cabin

*Recycled from a previous trip report

Someone in DFW swapped the color dye on the blankets
Instead of the usual Red Blanket, we end up Orange blankets, FUGLY YUCK!

Sitting next to me today was a 40-ish y.o business lady who was also going to Santiago via Miami on LAN, she was in 2F while abandoning her boss in 4F, nice
Sadly she had an even tighter connection than I did as she was on the earlier of the 2 LAN flight down to SCL while I was on the latter.

Door finally closed up at 4:30pm after everyone was on, and man this SlAAveship was packed to the gill. Flight time of 2 Hours 26 Minutes with some scattered t-storms over the Gulf and an expected landing time of 8:12pm.
I don’t feel very good for my seat neighbor, going from D to J in MIA in just over 1 hour.

After a 10 min taxi to the runway, we were airborne at 4:45pm.

Meal service quickly came around despite being very bumpy at times while flying over Shreveport, New Orleans and south of Panama City.

AA 1090 Snack

Main Course
Banh Mi Chicken Wrap
Served with chile Lime Sauce, pickled daikon, and carrots

Grilled Beef Salad
Served chilled over salad

Dessert
Sugar Coconut and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I went for the Chicken wrap as it looked quite nice on some of the photos seen in the domestic AA food thread.

*Chicken Wrap Photo Courtesy of SFO777, I apparently was so hungry I finished it without taking a pic, oops

And after the snack and some gogo wifi on this refurbished 757, we started our descent at 7:45pm and landed at 8:07pm into Miami.
One big problem, we landed on runway 12 and taxiing to Gate D1, probably as long as a taxi you can have in MIA.
With that, we finally parked at D1 at 8:19pm, I have 2 hours 10 minutes to go “walk” from D1 to J7, which god did I piss off today???
Still better than my neighbor who had the 1 hr 10 minutes connection, yikes!

Next Part
Part 14 – LAN Airlines New Business Class onboard the Boeing 767-300, MIA – SCL

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Nov 12, 2013 at 8:36 am
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Part 14 – LAN Airlines New Business Class onboard the Boeing 767-300, MIA – SCL

Time for the my First LAN Business Class flight, back when the AA code JFK – SCL deal was live, LA J was really the big motivation seeing I never go down to South America, it really is a long haul for someone used to flying TPAC routes lol

Jun 9, 2013 – Sunday
LA 501/AA 7701 MIA – SCL 10:30pm – 6:55am(+1)[Jun 10] (763/J)

After getting off AA 1090 at 8:20pm, I lamented that huge walk from D1 to J7 around the MIA Horseshoe shape terminals.
But getting into the concourse, I got saved, well sorta.

Remember my seat neighbor and her boss, both of whom were going to Santiago on the earlier LAN flight, I thought they were doomed but LAN apparently sent an Express connection golf cart for them. And after a bit of pleading on my part, they had 1 seat left for me. Thank god for hitching that ride since it saved me a lot of walk as the golf cart drove from D1 to D31, they saved at least 10 – 15 minutes of walking/waiting for the Skymover.

That still, I would never booked another AA>LA connection or vice versa unless I had 3 hours of connection time, way too scary and a marathon amount of walking

Also greeting me were non-moving travelators, D’Oh

And all in all, it took 35 minutes or 8:54pm exactly from D1 to the LAN check-in counters at concourse J and that’s with a golf cart halfway, OUCH

Miami International Airport Concourse J

LAN Business Class Check-In

Check-In took just over 10 Minutes due to a 5 min wait for a free counter.
Sadly the nude-o-scope was in full effect tonight so another massage again.
At least the MIA folks were friendly and not trying to kill one’s “family treasure”

And off to the contract LAN lounge, Club America
One phrase, “What A Dump!”

I don’t usually head to the concourse 1 Hour 20 Minutes early, but this place forget it, gate was slightly better until it was packed to the gills!

LAN Airlines Boeing 767-300

*20th flight, 54754 Miles flown since Apr 28
LAN Airlines 501
Sold as American Airlines 7701
Miami Int’l to Santiago de Chile
Scheduled - 10:30pm – 6:50am(+1)[Jun 10], 8 hr 20 min flight
Actual Departure – 10:24pm
Delayed Arrival – 6:53am(+1)
Business Class, Seat 2J
Food – Dinner, Breakfast
Equipment – Boeing 767-300 (30J/191Y New Configuration)

LAN had 4 lines, separating priority vs. and 3 other groups of Economy.
Only one big problem, they forgot flight crew + staff travel + dependences and their offsprings in that list for pre-boarding
Well, there is no way in hell I was going to be able to board ahead of those folks anyday of the week. And guess what happens when you have that big mess all on the jetway spilling pass the boarding pass scanner, everyone at the gate thought they were boarding, a complete gate crash
What a mess.

And boarding began at 9:50pm

Part 14 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 9:52 am
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:48 am
Original Poster

LAN Airlines Boeing 767-300 New Business Class Cabin

*More pics will be provided in Part 16 – Those Crazy LANtinas, LA/AA J SCL – MIA – DFW – LGA

LAN Airlines Boeing 767-300 New Business Class Seat

Seating is comfortable, somewhat tight seeing it is a 2-2-2 config on a 763, storage space near the seat leaves some to be desired. Otherwise, legroom and sleeping surfaces was very comfy and enjoyable.

Pre-Departure Drinks and Bites

Flight Time of 7 Hours 50 Minutes tonight down to Santiago, short red-eye

Door were closed 10:24pm and we’re shortly airborne 15 minutes after that.

Airborne after 30 Minutes and over Cuba

In the meanwhile I enjoy Fast Five onboard the flight while the dinner started.

LA 501 Dinner

Appetizer
Garden Salad

Prosciutto with Asparagus, Mozzarella and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Lobster Bisque with Chives

Entrees
Lamb Ragout with Potatoes Au Gratin and Grilled Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes

Mushroom Gnocchi in a Creamy Porcini with Mushroom Sauce

Mixed Greens with Balsamic Turkey, Tomatoes, Parmesan Cheese and Almond Slices

Dessert
Selection of Gourmet Cheeses
Haagen Dazs Ice Cream
Raspberry Mousse
Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Express Dinner
This option if offered for passengers who would like more time to rest.
Please select one appetizer or entrée and one dessert. Your meal also will include a garden salad and a selection of gourmet cheeses

Appetizer and Soup Set

Soup, Lobster Bisque with Chives

Garden Salad

Main Course, Mushroom Gnocchi in a Creamy Porcini with Mushroom Sauce

Mini Cheese Plate

Dessert, Haagan Dazs Ice Cream

Dinner took overall 1 hour and it was now 12:45am and 6 hours to go in the flight, time to go flat bed, enjoy the last bit of the movie and hit the snooze button.

Full Flatbed Mode

Part 14 Continues Below
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Turndown Water

Just passed Panama

LA 501 Breakfast
Please choose from the following options
Cold Express Breakfast: To Maximize your rest, this option will be served 40 Minutes before landing

Full Breakfast: Please complete the pre-order form, which will be collected by the flight attendant

Breakfast options were taken by card similar to Qantas and other airlines.
I like it for this shorter red-eye runs as they can be quite hard to get sufficient sleep.

Breakfast Card

4 Hours later, or 1 Hour 15 Minutes out, Breakfast was served as originally requested in the form.

I’ve decided to go for the Full Breakfast

Quality was overall good with 2 Main Options, and 30 Minutes later, we started our approach into Santiago, Chile

Final flight path of LA 501

We finally landed at 6:45am and took another 10 minutes taxi to the gate for an on-time arrival.
First time in South America ever, what adventures lie ahead?
Well maybe the adventures can hold for a sec, these red-eyes are way too short, I’m so sleepy…. Zzz…

Next Part
Part 15 – 3 Days of Adventure in Chile, Santiago, Valparaiso, and the Andes Mountain
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Must say that LAN's new Business Class looks fairly nice, though I don't really see a point as to why they decided to upgrade their 767s. The "old" seats were almost fully-flat anyway. Also how cramped was the 6-abreast seating?

I'm also a bit surprised to see LAN use a contract lounge at MIA. Surely their OW partner AA have a large operations there, so couldn't they just use the AAdmirals Club?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
Must say that LAN's new Business Class looks fairly nice, though I don't really see a point as to why they decided to upgrade their 767s. The "old" seats were almost fully-flat anyway. Also how cramped was the 6-abreast seating?

I'm also a bit surprised to see LAN use a contract lounge at MIA. Surely their OW partner AA have a large operations there, so couldn't they just use the AAdmirals Club?

It is pretty good, as to the upgrade from the old to the new seat? Really isn't my territory so I can't comment on it.
6 abreast is a bit tight at 18" seat width, you can't try to overly stretch out because chances are you will hit someone in the aisle or the seat neighbor.
Otherwise, I love the seat, very good seat pitch, good sleeping surface, has all the feature you want in a J seat.

LAN uses Concourse J, AA uses Concourses D&E, they aren't connected airside so why the use of a Contract Lounge.
Sad since the contract lounge is such a piece of crap.

Will get another part up later today, but might have to slow down posting over the weekend
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Part 15 – 3 Days of Adventure in Chile, Santiago, Valparaiso, and the Andes Mountain

Getting off the plane, past immigration and into the SCL Arrival lobby took 20 minutes and I was in Chile.
I took one of the shared ride vans from the airport to the Hyatt, but with 4 drop-offs ahead of me and Monday morning traffic, it took 1.5 Hours or just about 8:50am when I got to the hotel.
As I had a 2 1/2 day stop in Chile, I decided to use Santiago as the base rather than moving around this time.

Grand Hyatt Santiago

Despite checking in at 9am, they still find a room at that hour for a Diamond member, got to love elite perks

Grand Club

Breakfast options didn’t changed during my stay.

And due to my very short sleep on the quick red-eye from Miami to Santiago, I required some extra snooze prior to heading out. I started my own little walk-around Santiago just after noon, first with a 15 minute walk to the Santiago
Metro and Escuela Militar Station.

*Feels exactly like the Montreal metro.

First I went to the Funicular station

Part 15 Continues Below
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Sadly it was under repair so a quick bus up the hill will have to suffice

For some of our more Alcohol-Friendly Flyertalkers

That is some serious smog, but kinda cool in some ways

Statue of Virgin Mary on Cerro San Cristóbal

After getting back down the mountain, next was another quick metro to Cerro Santa Lucía

Part 15 Continues Below
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:54 am
Original Poster

And finally my quick day ended at Plaza De Armas and Catedral de Santiago

As the sunset was around 5pm, another metro ride back to the Grand Hyatt and a start of a long day tomorrow for Valparaíso

With my early turn-in and early waking up, I was awaken with this view

I decided to take one of the Turistik buses, wasn’t the best value nor my preferred travel methods but was in a very hard crunch this whole trip with the amount of destination I was gonna have.
The tour left from Mall Parque Arauco at 9am, and after a 75 minutes bus ride, we’re in Valparaíso

And Valparaíso, I have to say, you cannot beat this city that had no pre-existent city planning

Part 15 Continues Below
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:55 am
Original Poster

One of many many Funicular required for this hilly city

I would hate to walk home from school on this if I was still a kid

And yet more shanty construction

And this REALLY doesn’t this stand out here

Time for a guided walk down the hills

This feels a bit better

Seems like someone is trying to clarify a point here

As Valparaíso is the chief port for the Chilean Navy, was also treated with some naval ships

Part 15 Continues Below
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Now back to the Genuine Valparaíso

I do love traditional designs, high-rise doesn’t hold a handle

Chilean Navy Office in Sotomayor Square

Monument at the Heroes of Iquique

Wild Dogs battling it out

Old Trolleybus of Valparaíso

After about 2 hours in Valparaíso, we were then taken to Viña del Mar

The flower clock of Viña del Mar

Part 15 Continues Below

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.