Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LH4116
Haha yes, in this context one either has to be rich or crazy enough to make the 1% ^
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis

Oh wait LH4116, I'm not the 1 Percent?
Just Kidding
Maybe for those flight hours maybe, the 99.9% time on the ground I am a 99 Percenter
Good point, i probably do qualify for being the flying 1% for pulling such craziness.

Originally Posted by PresRDC
As far as Y class travel goes, that doesn't look too bad.

Interesting that they are using the A330. The J seats are not full flat like on the A340-200 and would be pretty uncomfortable for such a long flight (they are angled lie-flat, but at a steep angle).

Like the new terminal and interesting option with the airport hotel. I've done the JFK-AMM-BKK-KUL connection before (in J) and was not offered a day room, although this was before the new terminal. The Crown Lounge in the old terminal had a few day rooms which you could rent. They were perfectly fine, but a free room at a proper hotel would have been better.
I agree, PresRDC, RJ Y isn't horrible, AVOD but options are limited.
The Main Meal are actually quite good, provide a small water bottle during the meals and they even use metal cutlery in Y meals
Good Point you brought up about the 332 vs. 342.
RJ has flown both equipment on occasion to JFK
And I've done both in Y and the 332 in J.
By far the best option would be the 342 J as that is full flat.
332 J, I was lucky to get 2 op-up out of 8 segments on this RJ Y fare.
Head Scratching why I got it but I did nonetheless
It's not a great product personally but the price discount you get for them does make them a consideration if you do buy them on a revenue ticket

332 Y vs. 342 Y, i vastly like the 332 as the TV in the bulkhead is stowed on the bottom of your feet.
On 342 Y, the TV along with the armrest are all stored next to your ribs, and I really feel restricted as the TV took up even more seat width.
Also on the 342, there is no good bulkhead option to choose, the front bulkhead is also exit row as well so you have to pay for that.
As for the row 6 middle bulkhead, I would advise against that, the legroom for that qualify for flying Ryanair/Spirit
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors

Was very underwhelmed by this.
What was the purpose of the extra plastic plate then? To pick up breadcrumbs?

Other than that RJ Y seems decent enough, do they provide any sort of snack bar or anything in the galley for such a long haul flight?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

Now my expectation was, it is an 11 Hour plus flight, you would think they serve Hot Dinner + Hot Breakfast, but RJ cheapen out and serve Continental, I’m starving
With regards to AMM – JFK, RJ does serve a Lunch + Snack Sandwich + Dinner on the 13 Hour westbound flight.

Was very underwhelmed by this.
Originally Posted by quirrow
What was the purpose of the extra plastic plate then? To pick up breadcrumbs?

Other than that RJ Y seems decent enough, do they provide any sort of snack bar or anything in the galley for such a long haul flight?
Good question, probably so breadcrumbs don't go everywhere?
And maybe ferry the dining equipment back to AMM.
AMM - JFK runs a Lunch/Snack Sandwich/Dinner service so they would need those dishes.

Outside of packaged peanuts you usually at the start of the drink service, a la CX.
I can't remember they did, they might have some pre-packaged sandwiches like 182 AMM - BKK or 261 AMM -JFK but i can't 100% remember though.

Will get CX Regional J up in an hour or two, and should be able to get Singapore First up tomorrow barring any crazy imaging problems
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Part 10 – Cathay Pacific Regional Business Class BKK – HKG

May 23, 2013 – Thursday
CX 702 BKK – HKG 6:40pm – 10:35pm (333/J)

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport

With the late arrival of RJ 182 into BKK, I had no shot of standing-by for the earlier CX flight back to HKG. So back out to the check-in counter, and got my original 16C changed to 12C.
I like the bulkhead on the regional CX 333s for the short flight back to HKG

Cathay Pacific Airways First Class Check-In

And with the expedited security/immigrations at BKK, was airside around 30 mins after getting off the RJ flight.
Many of you might know, CX isn’t known for great lounges outside of HKG, and needing a shower, I went to the Qantas Business Class Lounge instead for a Very over-due shower

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Qantas Airways Business Class Lounge

Lounge wise, it was an adequate lounge with some hot food and a cold bar like most QF lounges, I’ve been. It has showers, something a CX definitely doesn’t have.

In the meanwhile, when is the British Airways First Class Lounge ever open?

BKK really is bit of a sad story for someone flying CX, CX operates 2 small-ish lounges, nothing special and the BA/JL/QF lounge are rarely open at CX flight times.

And at 5:50pm, I made my way to gate F6 for tonight’s departure.

Cathay Pacific Airways Airbus 330-300

*11th flight, 35409 Miles flown since Apr 28
Cathay Pacific Airways 702
Bangkok Suvarnabhumi to Hong Kong
Scheduled - 6:40pm – 10:35pm, 2 hr 55 min flight
Actual Departure – 6:36pm
On Time Arrival – 10:32pm
Business Class, Seat 12C
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Airbus 330-300 (44J/267Y Non-Refurbished Regional “333” )

With the slight late arrival of the inbound flight, boarding did not start til 6:20pm, getting tight.

Cathay Pacific Airways Airbus 330-300 Old Regional Business Class Cabin

Bulkhead Business Class Seat, 12C

Flying Cathay Regional is a pretty sad story, while SQ/TG in general has replaced their short-medium haul Business Class, CX seems to still be stuck in the 90s.
They have started a renewal programme, but until I see a large amount of these regional converted. I’m not overly convinced.

Pre-Departure Beverage

Welcome to Thursday night flying, flight is packed with suits heading home and despite the late boarding release of 6:20pm, we were boarded up in 15 mins and door closed at 6:36pm. Impressive ^

2 Hours 23 Minutes back to Hong Kong tonight, and I didn’t bother with the old rolling tape Video system, in lieu, sleep was more important in this case.

And after a 15 min taxi, we were airborne at 6:50pm on our way to HKG.

CX 702 Dinner

Starter
Pomelo with Pineapple Coconut and Pineapple Salad

Main Course
Fried Black Cod with Ginger and black bean, egg fried rice, stir-fried kalian, carrots, and gingko nuts

Slow Cooked stuffed Chicken Breast with Mushroom, potatoes slices with chives, roasted baby carrot, brussel sprout and zucchini

Pork Panaeng Curry with steamed jasmine Rice, stir-fried pak choy, capsicum and carrots

Dessert
Haagan Dazs Ice Creeam
Tea and Coffee
Praline

Part 10 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 9:44 am
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Dinner came around 25 Minutes after take-off

The full dinner took a full hour, so reasonably ok, and after the service had just about 1 hr 5 mins left to the flight.
More Zzz…….. then back to work

And at 9:50pm HKG, we started our descent into HKG. And landed around 20 past 10pm.
Great, work starts at 7am
My long-awaited sabbatical and actual trip can’t come soon enough in 2 weeks.

Next Part
Part 11 – Another Detour for Singapore First HKG – SIN – HKG – SFO
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:38 pm

What is this last one, what airline is this?
Iraqi Airways!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
The BA First Lounge in BKK opens at 16:00. Stays open til 'last departure'. Not sure whose departure that is. It's a pretty nice lounge, I try to use it whenever I can.

Eric

Last edited by ZFW-ATC; Nov 10, 2013 at 6:46 am
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kohflot

What is this last one, what airline is this?
Iraqi Airways!
Thanks for the help, Kohflot
Wouldn't know what it was otherwise, weird they basically painted half the tail up, and left the entire Airtran paint scheme on, you can still see half the A on the tail

Originally Posted by ZFW-ATC
The BA First Lounge in BKK opens at 16:00. Stays open til 'last departure'. Not sure whose departure that is. It's a pretty nice lounge, I try to use it whenever I can.

Eric
That's odd, I was there at 5:00pm, in fact they had that open at 16:00 sign at the front door but the place had all the lights off.
Very odd indeed and kinda sad since I usually take the 4pm CX or TG flight back to HKG.
I actually avoid the 6:45pm flight if I can avoid it.

Will get the SQ First + The Private Room section up shortly
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Part 11 – Another Detour for Singapore First HKG – SIN – HKG – SFO + The Private Room

After another 2 weeks of work, I took my long awaited sabbatical due to a personal illness that was affecting my health and performance. So why not take it a bit easy and I decided to travel a Double Around the World for the next little while.

The Singapore First Class ticket was the last remaining part of the SQ Flood-Gate ticket originally issued in July 2012. Combined with an AA Business Class Sale of JFK – SCL for 900ai back on Valentines Day, my next couple of days and my First ever South America trip are set. Go from Hong Kong to Santiago, Chile via SIN, HKG again, SFO, ORD, YYZ, LGA, DFW, MIA, Got to love flying crooked routings huh

Jun 6, 2013 – Thursday
SQ 859 HKG – SIN 10:30am – 2:15pm (772/J)
SQ 2 SIN – HKG 5:50pm – 9:35pm (77W/F)
SQ 2 HKG – SFO 10:45pm – 8:25pm (77W/F)

For the morning departure, I was able to leave the apartment at 7:10am for longish 85 Minutes bus ride to the Airport.

Singapore Airlines Business Class Check-In

The check-in agent was able to process my 2 SQ flight check-in despite 2 different tickets, however it took her by surprise.
Sir, you realize SQ 2 flies from SIN – SFO via HKG so you’re just doing a loop for the day.
Me - Well, I had this SIN – SFO remaining from a long time ago, not sure I want to remind revenue management and Krisflyer how I got this ticket in the 1st place.
All in all, that took just about 10 minutes to complete the entire check-in and she wished me a fun and enjoyable flight.

Being 9am, I ducked into the Singapore Airlines Lounge because 859 was leaving from Gate 15, which happens to be 99.9% of the time usually.
The usual SQ lounge offers a decent breakfast although views are lacking.
And 40 mins prior to departure, boarding began for SQ 859.

Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200

*12th flight, 37001 Miles flown since Apr 28
Singapore Airlines 859
Hong Kong to Singapore Changi
Scheduled - 10:30am – 2:15pm, 3 hr 45 min flight
Actual Departure – 10:20am
Delayed Arrival – 2:16pm
Business Class, Seat 16C
Food – Lunch
Equipment – Boeing 777-200 (38J/228Y Refurbished Regional)

Since I had previously display the SQ Refurbished Regional Config in Part 2, so I’ll decline posting extra extra pics here.

I took 16C, the last aisle in the Main Business Class Cabin

*Yes, these 2 pics are from another time lol

Loads were healthy this morning, around 90 Percent in the back, and some 34/38 up front. Door closed at 10:20am and pushback for 5 mins later

3 Hours 17 Minutes was the flight time today to Singapore

With the long long taxi from gate 15, we weren’t airborne til 10:47am from Runway 25L, however we were still scheduled for an ontime arrival.

SQ 859 Lunch

Starter
Salad of Asparagus with Olive, Tomato, and hot-smoked salmon on Herb Vinigrette

Main Course
Barramundi Fillet in Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce with Borlotti Beans, salsify, and Baby Spinach

Stir Fried Seafood in Garlic Sauce, Chinese Broccoli, and Fried Rice Noodles

Seared Beef Fillet with Madeira Sauce, Roasted Vegetable and Asparagus

Rarra Gosht, dhinghi palak, tadka, jeera pulao
Mutton in Tomato Garlic Gravy, Yellow Lentil, spiced spinach mushrooms and cumin rice

Finale
Choice of Haagan Dazs Frozen Dessert
Belgian Chocolate Ice Cream or Summer Berries Ice Cream with Fruit Salad

Selection of Somerset, Pecorino, Stilton Cheese, served with garnishes

A Selection of Fresh Fruit

A selection of Gourmet Coffees & Fine Teas served with Pralines

SQ 859 usually is my flight of choice down to Singapore, a great departure time of 10:30am just to getting to HKG and a lunch flight.

Tomato Juice to start

Appetizer Tray

Appetizer, Salad of Asparagus with Olive, Tomato, and hot-smoked salmon on Herb Vinigrette

Business Class Bread-Basket

Main Course, Barramundi Fillet in Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce with Borlotti Beans, salsify, and Baby Spinach

*Lighter Main Course choice today with the First Class flying later on today

Dessert, Haagan Dazs Ice Cream

Cheese Cart

Fruit Basket

Banana for myself

Iced Milo

Say what you want about the SQ, I’ve certainly complained about their weak supper in First Class, the I’m bigger than the Star Alliance attitude. But on a 3.5 hr regional Business, they are really good, seat is very good at 60 inches pitch, with reasonable IFE offering, and they also run a very respectful meal service. Most airlines I know don’t dial up this good and I enjoy taking 859 above else for my SIN flights.

Decided to take a bit more sleep with the very long travel day coming up and soon, we’re about to start our descent into Changi Airport at 1:40pm

Final Route of Singapore 859, seems like it never changes

And with the on time departure, we arrived into Terminal 3 at 2:16pm, plenty of time to enjoy the Private Room and to connect to SQ 2.

Part 11 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

However, a quick jog to the landside for the actual SQ First Class Check-In Experience

The kinda hidden First Class immigration

Singapore Changi Singapore Airlines Terminal 3 Private Room

Part 11 Continues Below
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Time to settle for a light snack, yes I swear it’s light

Quick peek in the First Class Lounge

And at 4:40pm, I made my way toward Gate B3 for the departure to SFO.
Sadly I wasn’t the first to board today, got beaten by an unaccompanied minor in First Class.
Dang, can’t I be in the lucky sperm club

*13th flight, 38593 Miles flown since Apr 28
Singapore Airlines 2
Singapore Changi to Hong Kong, Continuing Service to San Francisco
Scheduled - 5:50pm – 9:35pm, 3 hr 45 min flight
Actual Departure – 5:49pm
On Time Arrival – 9:35pm
First Class, Seat 2F
Food – Dinner
Equipment –Boeing 777-300ER (8F/42J/228Y Non-Refreshed)

Regular boarding finally began at 5:25pm so here I go for even more Singapore Airlines First Class cabin photos for fun.

Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER First Class Cabin

Part 11 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 9:46 am
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Yep, the Unaccompanied Minor was in 1D

Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER First Class Seat

Part 11 Continues Below
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

And I went with my favorite seat of 2F on this plane and a glass of Dom was delivered to be shortly.

Pre-Departure Beverage, Dom Perignon 2003

Boarding finally finished at 5:49pm and pushback began 2 minutes later. Very full First Class, 7/8 including 3 minors, the unaccompanied minor in 1D plus 2 (10 y.o girl, 12 y.o boy) in 2C/2D, the parents were in Business Class, man am I getting old in a hurry

And 15 minutes later we arrived at Runway 2R for the take-off back to HKG

3 Hours 10 Minutes flight time to Hong Kong

And before I started eating, I decided to get comfy and changed into my own jammies and have the bedding set-up

The Sunset across the South China Sea

For today, I had order the “Book The Cook” Kaiseki meal ex-SIN, and the menu is below, and for anyone that have previously read my report, 1 meal isn’t enough

SQ 2 Dinner
*Created by Matthew Moran of Aria Restaurant, Sydney

Appetisers
Marinated Prawns and Scallops with Asian Slaw

*Grilled Tuna Loin with Yuzu Jelly and Baby Vegetables

Soup
*Split Pea Soup with Ham Hock, Chives and Drizzled with Olive Oil

Double-Boiled Chicken Soup with American Ginseng

Salad
Fresh Spinach and Belgium Endive Salad
Creamy French Dressing or Lemon Vinaigrette

Main Course
*Roasted Breast of Chicken with Natural Jus, Braised leek, carrot, bacon, thyme, crispy bacon

Stir Fried Prawns in Dry Chilli and Chinese Wine, Seasonal Vegetables and fried rice

Singapore Beef Noodle Soup
Popular Local dish of rice noodles in rice beef broth with sliced beef and bean sprouts

Seared Lamb Chop with Madeira sauce, grilled vegetable and roasted pumpkin

Finale
*Espresso Parfait, coconut sorbet, coffee cake, passionfruit, lychee

Chilled Sago Mango Soup with Pomelo

Selection of Boursin Garlic, Red cheddar and Danish Blue Cheese served with Garnishes

Fresh Fruit in Season

A selection of Gourmet Coffees & Fine Teas served with Pralines

My usual theme, A SQ flight, A Singapore Sling

Kaiseki Meal Table Set-Up

Japanese Appetizer Set, Pike Eel with Shisho Flavoring

With Green Gourd with Jellyfish Toss (Left), Pike Eel Jelly with Vegetable (Center), Simmered Fig in Miso (Right)

Western Appetizer, Grilled Tuna Loin with Yuzu Jelly and Baby Vegetables

Soba Course, Chilled Somen Noodles with Soba Sauce and Spring Onion, grated Ginger, seaweed for Garnish accompanied with River Shrimp, pickled ginger stem, rollert file fish with Cucumber

Green Tea prior the main Course

Main Course
Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with Chili Sauce, with Baked Eggplant, Miso Soup and Japanese Brown Rice

Japanese Dessert, Clear Jelly with Brown Syrup

Part 11 Continues Below
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Western Dessert, Haagan Dazs Ice Cream from Business Class

Turndown Evian Water

A Single Praline

Personally I found the Kaiseki to be meh, it’s Ok, but no one can make Japanese meal comparable to one’s ex-NRT. And the rather unknown contents of my Kaiseki will probably keep me away in the future. Well not completely unknown, you just have to ask the crew to let you see the catering sheet they have. The regular food was better in my opinion.

The full meal service took 2.5 hours so just 45 minutes of rest prior to landing into HKG

Quick 20 minutes later, cabin re-lighted and the prep for landing begins

Coming into Hong Kong

The good thing today was we landed right on schedule at exactly 9:35pm for the 1 Hour 10 Minute turn in HKG, the bad thing was we were parked at Gate 19, so a reasonably long walk to transit security then right back up to departure level.
No time for the Krisflyer lounge at all
The total transit time took 30 minutes from deplaning to back to gate 19 at the departure level

Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER

*14th flight, 45507 Miles flown since Apr 28
Singapore Airlines 2
Hong Kong to San Francisco
Scheduled - 10:45pm – 8:25pm, 12 hr 40 min flight
Delayed Departure – 10:48pm, Late Boarding Complete
On Time Arrival – 8:15pm
First Class, Seat 2F
Food – Supper, Breakfast
Equipment – Boeing 777-300ER (8F/42J/228Y Non-Refreshed)

It’s a long-haul flight so here comes the wheelchair brigade

Boarding started slightly late at 10:20pm and with the extra US Security check on the jetway, that also held up the boarding process.

Back in my 2F again

More Champagne please

The 2 kids in 2C, 2D remained on board to go to SFO while the unaccompanied minor in 1D left in HKG so 6/8 to San Fran tonight.

With the late boarding, boarding was completed 3 mins late and a pushback shortly from Gate 19 for the huge long taxi to Runway 7R.

That’s a lot of Out-sourcing of United Airlines, the entire HAECO hanger is filled with them

And finally at 11:10pm HKG time, we were airborne for San Francisco
12 Hours exact flight time today

Part 11 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 9:46 am
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:05 am
Original Poster

10 Minutes after take-off, the flight attendant went into action.
For the 2nd flight, I did not order any BTC meals.

SQ 2 Supper

*Featuring Georges Blanc, three-star Michelin Chef, Vonnas

Appetizers
*Smoked Herring and Brunoise Potato with Watercress Chantilly cream

Spanish Iberico air dried ham garnished with fresh fig, mixed salad

Soup
*Beef Tail Minestrone with Basil Pesto

Cantonese Style Watercress Soup with Pork and Red Dates

Salad
Mizuna with shaved fennel and cherry tomato
Ranch Dressing or Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dressing

Main Course
*Pan Seared Prawn and scallops in saffron nage
Sautéed mushrooms, sea whelks and baby vegetables

Seared US Certified Angus Beef Fillet with Madeira Sauce, roasted vegetable and asparagus

Fish and Conpoy Congee
[i]Rice Porridge with sliced fish and shredded dried scallops served with deep fried Chinese cracker

Curry Lamb
With spiced rice, braised lentil and green chilli curry

Finale
*Lemongrass infused crème brulee

Sweet Herbal tea soup with quail egg and lotus seed

Selection of Camembert, teleggio, Red Leicester and Stilton Cheeses served with garnishes

Fresh Fruits in Season

A selection of gourmet coffees and fine teas served with pralines

Time to get change in the First Class Lavatory

First the bedding to get comfortable first

Tomato Juice to start

First Class Dining Set-Up

Bread Basket

Appetizer, Smoked Herring and Brunoise Potato with Watercress Chantilly cream

Soup, Beef Tail Minestrone with Basil Pesto

Salad, Mizuna with shaved fennel and cherry tomato with Ranch Dressing

Main Course, Seared US Certified Angus Beef Fillet with Madeira Sauce, roasted vegetable and asparagus

Dessert

Fruit Basket

Just went with the slice of Cantaloupe

Cheeseboard

Coffee and Praline to finish the service

As you have noticed, I went light tonight, and why?
Because I was falling asleep since it was 12:30am HKG time and I’ve been up for a long long day.
Meal was ok, but not fantastic.

Part 11 Continues Below

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.