FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:25 pm
Short hair Francis

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LH4116
Haha yes, in this context one either has to be rich or crazy enough to make the 1% ^
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis

Oh wait LH4116, I'm not the 1 Percent?
Just Kidding
Maybe for those flight hours maybe, the 99.9% time on the ground I am a 99 Percenter
Good point, i probably do qualify for being the flying 1% for pulling such craziness.

Originally Posted by PresRDC
As far as Y class travel goes, that doesn't look too bad.

Interesting that they are using the A330. The J seats are not full flat like on the A340-200 and would be pretty uncomfortable for such a long flight (they are angled lie-flat, but at a steep angle).

Like the new terminal and interesting option with the airport hotel. I've done the JFK-AMM-BKK-KUL connection before (in J) and was not offered a day room, although this was before the new terminal. The Crown Lounge in the old terminal had a few day rooms which you could rent. They were perfectly fine, but a free room at a proper hotel would have been better.
I agree, PresRDC, RJ Y isn't horrible, AVOD but options are limited.
The Main Meal are actually quite good, provide a small water bottle during the meals and they even use metal cutlery in Y meals
Good Point you brought up about the 332 vs. 342.
RJ has flown both equipment on occasion to JFK
And I've done both in Y and the 332 in J.
By far the best option would be the 342 J as that is full flat.
332 J, I was lucky to get 2 op-up out of 8 segments on this RJ Y fare.
Head Scratching why I got it but I did nonetheless
It's not a great product personally but the price discount you get for them does make them a consideration if you do buy them on a revenue ticket

332 Y vs. 342 Y, i vastly like the 332 as the TV in the bulkhead is stowed on the bottom of your feet.
On 342 Y, the TV along with the armrest are all stored next to your ribs, and I really feel restricted as the TV took up even more seat width.
Also on the 342, there is no good bulkhead option to choose, the front bulkhead is also exit row as well so you have to pay for that.
As for the row 6 middle bulkhead, I would advise against that, the legroom for that qualify for flying Ryanair/Spirit