Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow - Terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
I would compare it when they stopped access to US-Airways Lounges: You get a notice and a transition period. In this case they denied access to the lounges and did no official communication, hoping no one would ever notice!
To be fair, there are some differences. QF got no advance notice of the problem, initially, and there have clearly been some negotiations afoot to sort out the problem.

But I agree that if they have permanently broken down, and access even to BA "Terraces" and "Executive Club" lounges has now been withdrawn as well, then QF should be being much more open and upfront about it.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:27 am

Qantas Club access to BA lounges fixed...sort of!

Folks QF has now fixed this so that "genuine" QF pax are allowed to use the BA lounges (Galleries/Terraces/Executive) if they're flying QF/BA to/from LHR and connecting to/from a BA flight. Further there is now clarification for the use of BA Galleries lounge in JFK for QF 108 (JFK/LAX/SYD) pax.

"In addition to Qantas Club lounges, you can relax in American Airlines Admirals Club lounges. For applicable lounge locations please visit www.aa.com.
Qantas Club Members travelling between Australia and the UK on Qantas and British Airways codeshare services, or connecting to or from these services on British Airways can access the British Airways Terraces, Executive and Galleries Lounges. Access to the British Airways Lounge in New York is also available for Qantas Club Members travelling on the QF108. We are currently working with British Airways on the recent changes to their lounge access policy.
To access a partner airline lounge, simply present your Qantas Club card or Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer card at check-in and again with your boarding pass at the lounge reception. You may also invite a guest. Note: both you and your guest must be travelling together and have onward travel that day on a flight marketed and operated by the partner airline whose lounge you wish to visit."

Notice above how they've removed references to BA lounges in the first sentence of that paragraph.

So as I suspected, BA had been upset that a default paid lounge service had flourished under their noses and they've got their knickers in a twist. God knows why. They're such a rubbish airline and should be glad for the business by pax with Qantas Club membership. If I was based in London and had used Qantas Club as a means of using BA lounges when flying BA, I'd very quickly take my business elsewhere with this change.

But gladly I'm based in Australia and absolutely chuffed by this. Good on you Qantas for sorting this out!

Reference:
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...cess/global/en
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:42 am
Company Representative - Qantas Airways

Programs: Qantas Airways
You beat me to it!

We have just updated qantas.com with information regarding access to BA lounges for QC members see http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump1

Cheers,
Red Roo
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
... God knows why. They're such a rubbish airline and should be glad for the business by pax with Qantas Club membership. If I was based in London and had used Qantas Club as a means of using BA lounges when flying BA, I'd very quickly take my business elsewhere with this change.

But gladly I'm based in Australia and absolutely chuffed by this. Good on you Qantas for sorting this out!
The most recent Qantas results revealed an 83% drop in profits, to $42m. BA made profits equivalent to $689m. Connecting Qantas Club passengers represent a tiny fraction of that.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
The most recent Qantas results revealed an 83% drop in profits, to $42m. BA made profits equivalent to $689m. Connecting Qantas Club passengers represent a tiny fraction of that.
Fair point BA-Flyer. I would imagine connecting QF pax account for very little of their profits. I should imagine likewise, London based Qantas Club pax who specifically purchase Qantas Club to fly BA (and use the lounge) would constitute an even lower percentage of their profits.

Having said all that, BA is still a rubbish airline to fly with be it profitable or not.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Having said all that, BA is still a rubbish airline to fly with be it profitable or not.
What is your basis for this comment?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by amaroo
What is your basis for this comment?
I'm just tired of the surly flight attendants, who have seen repeated attempt at union action fail and who do not appear to enjoy doing their job.

I just don't understand why they carry on in a job that they are so dissatisfied with. If you don't like it, then get out! Instead they carry on and serve passengers in a disinterested way.

You can see them, on the plane, at the airport, at the hotel lobby...they just look so disengaged and disillusioned. Terrible body language. It is so negative!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm just tired of the surly flight attendants, who have seen repeated attempt at union action fail and who do not appear to enjoy doing their job.

I just don't understand why they carry on in a job that they are so dissatisfied with. If you don't like it, then get out! Instead they carry on and serve passengers in a disinterested way.

You can see them, on the plane, at the airport, at the hotel lobby...they just look so disengaged and disillusioned. Terrible body language. It is so negative!
Admittedly BA has its share of miserable crew, but I have encountered Qantas crew and ground staff who have been just as miserable and unfriendly.

Not all the crew agreed with the strike, and as new crew are recruited and older crew leave, things should hopefully get better.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)

Reads like a crew from QF - other than an A388 crew....they are young, dumb & full of you know what!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:06 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

Worst example I have ever seen of this is an AA domestic FA who turned her back on people boarding the flight and continued reading her magazine. No check of BPs, no greeting (unless she had eyes in the back of her head). She was assigned to the F cabin and her interraction with passengers was consistent with the greeting - ie nil. I have never seen BA this bad (but then again, I have not been on BA metal for 2 yrs).
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by amaroo
Reads like a crew from QF - other than an A388 crew....they are young, dumb & full of you know what!
You are right amaroo! Its not A380 crew in general but QF crew based in London - There is a marked difference in service when the crew change during the SIN stopover.
The QF crew based in Australia who do international flights needs a rod up their arses! I was on a recent A380 LAX/MEL flight and while some of the FA (all AU based) were marvellous I found myself secretly wishing the London based crew was on the flight so that there is more of a consistency.
I find short-haul crew generally quite good though.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by og
Worst example I have ever seen of this is an AA domestic FA who turned her back on people boarding the flight and continued reading her magazine. No check of BPs, no greeting (unless she had eyes in the back of her head). She was assigned to the F cabin and her interraction with passengers was consistent with the greeting - ie nil. I have never seen BA this bad (but then again, I have not been on BA metal for 2 yrs).
Hi og. It's just recently that BA has gone downhill. I use to remember them being quite good with the exception of the odd young blonde female FA, who think they're too good to be serving in Y class and had the attitude to match.
But personally I think they're still living in this smug "World's Favourite Airline" frame of mind without realising the reality of their hollowed out operation. The smugness that is inconsistent with reality is what I find troubling.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by og
og, this is standard procedure on AA (from my observation, not from their policies). On no recent AA flights have BPs been checked, nor has a member of cabin crew been greeting passengers. In F, they do a coat and drinks walk-through consistently though.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:01 pm

Hi og. It's just recently that BA has gone downhill. I use to remember them being quite good with the exception of the odd young blonde female FA, who think they're too good to be serving in Y class and had the attitude to match.
Sounds just like their depiction of what I would expect to be BA, on Come Fly With Me
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
The one and only time I flew BA long haul - BA21 (replacing QF32, just after the AN collapse) it was the flight from hell, LHR-SIN leaving around lunch time, into SIN in the morning, then day flight SIN-SYD, done plenty of BA short-hauls since then, no long hauls, and hopefully won't again.

Seat was crap (this is in WHY) compared to QF and AA, catering was garbage, can't blame them for the schedule, if QF hadn't been so desperate for aircraft it would have been a QF aircraft on the same schedule., cabin crew were indifferent, mostly jobsworths.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.