Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flashlight in a carry-on bag?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
I have a nice little Pelican that gets carried in my handbag. Takes a licking and still lights the way. Much cuter than those old mags!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A small flashlight resides in my camera bag. It's cleared security repeatedly, nobody's ever looked inside.

So long as it's not so big that it resembles a club TSA doesn't care.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:28 pm
KTW

Yes..
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Tools under seven (7) inches allowed:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

From your own agencie's web site.
Gee, that looks remarkably like the same link that I posted earlier in this thread. Oh my, IT IS! AMAZING!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by TSORon
Gee, that looks remarkably like the same link that I posted earlier in this thread. Oh my, IT IS! AMAZING!
I don't pretend to be perfect.
Your coworkers have confiscated many things allowed through, by that same document, at the checkpoint in a feeble attempt at security. We're tired of dealing with the gross incompetence often found at checkpoints, by people whose job it is to know what is allowed and what isn't.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:54 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by TSO1973
I carry a 4 cell in the car too. But where I live, it's hard to find the 5 and 6 cell. Have to special order them. I carry the small 2 AA model with the LED bulbs when I travel.
I don't think I've ever seen a 5 or 6 cell MagLite. Except maybe when a police officer is shining his flashlight in my face while already blinding me in my rearview mirror with his car-mounted takedown lights... (but that's another story ).

I have an old-school 2 AA model somewhere...it's pre-LED bulb days, but it's still a bright little sucker. And it comes in handy when I can find it.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:58 am

On several trips through security, no one's ever confiscated anything of mine. Of course, I don't try to push the envelope with the rules. If it says prohibited, I don't throw it in to "check out if it is". Sure things slip through, but I can't see how anyone in their right mind will assume they are going to be the lucky ones. I'd suggest the pessimistic assumption is safer, if you don't wish to have something you own confiscated.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
I don't think I've ever seen a 5 or 6 cell MagLite.

Slightly ot I own all of the D cell mags. 2D-6D. I did purchase the 5 & 6D's a few years back. But I would never fly with any of them, Better is the Surefire 6P or E2E. They are expensive but not to worry about them being taken.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Back when I used to carry a flashlight daily for work, my co-workers and I were told by several TSOs that the rule of thumb was that a flashlight with two or fewer cells were fine to carry on; three or more cells were too bludgeon-y and needed to be checked. That was generally for C and D cell flashlights.

These days, I generally travel with a mini-maglite and a rechargeable book light in my carry-on back without trouble.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Finite Elephant
Back when I used to carry a flashlight daily for work, my co-workers and I were told by several TSOs that the rule of thumb was that a flashlight with two or fewer cells were fine to carry on; three or more cells were too bludgeon-y and needed to be checked. That was generally for C and D cell flashlights.
Both 2 C and 2 D cell Maglights are over 8.5 inches long. Both could be confiscated under the 7 inch tool rule, depending on the intepretation of the individual TSO as they make up the rules for their checkpoint lane that hour.

FYI the 6 D cell cop club Maglights are still available.

I I have an old-school 2 AA model somewhere...it's pre-LED bulb days, but it's still a bright little sucker. And it comes in handy when I can find it.
If you think it's bright now for a few bucks they sell a drop in LED replacement kit. Well worth it. ^

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
I don't pretend to be perfect.
Your coworkers have confiscated many things allowed through, by that same document, at the checkpoint in a feeble attempt at security. We're tired of dealing with the gross incompetence often found at checkpoints, by people whose job it is to know what is allowed and what isn't.
Imagine how we feel, with folks who "think" they know what they are talking about. Demanding rights that dont exist. And we deal with them by the thousands every day, whereas you get to suffer through what concerns you so much, what, once a week or so? You will of course understand if I give your concerns the level of … drama, that I think they deserve.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
Imagine how we feel, with folks who "think" they know what they are talking about. Demanding rights that dont exist. And we deal with them by the thousands every day, whereas you get to suffer through what concerns you so much, what, once a week or so? You will of course understand if I give your concerns the level of … drama, that I think they deserve.
Good point.

Imagine how we feel, with folks who think they know what they are talking about. Denying rights that plainly exist. And we deal with them almost every time we fly, whereas you get to suffer through what concerns you so much, what, once every year or two when your agency is sued for constitutional violations? You will, of course, understand if I give your concerns the level of . . . drama . . . that I think they deserve.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
My Maglite has never been refused and i have carried it for years. i just switched to a LED flashlight to save weight and use less power, still no problem.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I don't think I've ever seen a 5 or 6 cell MagLite. Except maybe when a police officer is shining his flashlight in my face while already blinding me in my rearview mirror with his car-mounted takedown lights... (but that's another story ).

I have an old-school 2 AA model somewhere...it's pre-LED bulb days, but it's still a bright little sucker. And it comes in handy when I can find it.
You should see the new generation of LED lights coming out. there the equivalent to 10W HID in a single element but in mini maglight form (current LED mini-mag is 1-1.5watts at best). Even in a normal lit room they will blind you and you wont be able to get a fix on where the person is standing that has it, But some of those are not designed for day to day use. It's more of a tactical application and if they made a appearance I think most of the gov't checkpoint clerks would code brown.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:28 am
KTW

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
You should see the new generation of LED lights coming out. there the equivalent to 10W HID in a single element but in mini maglight form (current LED mini-mag is 1-1.5watts at best). Even in a normal lit room they will blind you and you wont be able to get a fix on where the person is standing that has it, But some of those are not designed for day to day use. It's more of a tactical application and if they made a appearance I think most of the gov't checkpoint clerks would code brown.
I just flew with my new 1,200+ lumen RRT3 and it was the talk of the area because of its throw. I was blinding people 200M+ distant. My K2 is supposed to be @1,000 but the RRT3 kills it.hehe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.