Search

Flashlight in a carry-on bag?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Flashlight in carry-on - is it o.k.?

Hi folks,

I was wondering if a palm-sized metal-body LED flashlight is acceptable in carry-on luggage such as my laptop bag. I checked the TSA site and flashlights aren't even mentioned.

Ed
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EdatLAX
Hi folks,

I was wondering if a palm-sized metal-body LED flashlight is acceptable in carry-on luggage such as my laptop bag. I checked the TSA site and flashlights aren't even mentioned.

Ed
Flashlights are allowed. I always keep a small one in my carry-on.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I've carried a 6 inch maglite for years w/o any problem.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I figured they were o.k. and they're nice to have on hand if there's an in-flight emergency. I just don't want to risk having an expensive flashlight confiscated.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the feedback. I figured they were o.k. and they're nice to have on hand if there's an in-flight emergency. I just don't want to risk having an expensive flashlight confiscated.
That's exactly why I carry one -- for in-flight emergencies, black-outs in the terminal, or problems at the hotel. Note that many TSOs make up their own rules that have no relationship to either TSA policy or common sense. Should you encounter one, calmly ask for a supervisor, the FSD and/or the GSC. If the TSO takes the flashlight from you, call for a LEO immediately and press charges for theft -- TSOs have no legal right to confiscate anything.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
That's exactly why I carry one -- for in-flight emergencies, black-outs in the terminal, or problems at the hotel. Note that many TSOs make up their own rules that have no relationship to either TSA policy or common sense. Should you encounter one, calmly ask for a supervisor, the FSD and/or the GSC. If the TSO takes the flashlight from you, call for a LEO immediately and press charges for theft -- TSOs have no legal right to confiscate anything.
That's why I'd like to have one. I recently dropped the keys to my rental car in a dark parking lot but thankfully the light from my cell phone display was just bright enough that I was able to find them. That's when I realized I should probably have a decent flashlight with me. I just hope the TSA doesn't decide I shouldn't have it. I'll definitely take your advice if they try.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:01 am

To me, when flying at night when other people are asleep, a flashlight is less upsetting to find something in the dark than turning on an overhead. For one thing, I sometimes find it hard to only turn on my overhead light.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Flashlights are good to go unless they are the big 3 or 4 (or bigger if you can find them anymore) cell Mag-lites. Those are a no-go.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I Carry a flashlight most of the time for reasons mentioned above, but I also carry the same one on duty to light up a scene not to mention its waterproof the 330 ft (100m). Its a older model of the 3w LED(its about 1/2 way down the page) light i go diving with. Even though it only puts out 2/3s of the current model it still will do better then most large flashlights or HID lights out right now.

Originally Posted by TSO1973
Flashlights are good to go unless they are the big 3 or 4 (or bigger if you can find them anymore) cell Mag-lites. Those are a no-go.
What you mean the 6 and 8 D cell ones that are available if you know where to look . Oh please not another assumption/making up the rules as we go by TSA. A large mag lite is no worse a bludgeoning tool then a laptop, but yet laptops are still allowed on-board.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:10 am

What makes a Mag-lite no go? Where I live they come in a large range of sizes. Of course, I'd only want the most compact anyway. Gets too big and then it becomes a drag to carry with you. And with the new LED bulbs, the tiny ones throw a lot of light!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:49 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Darn it...I was hoping to take my big, heavy 4 cell Maglite through security with me the next time. LOL

(In all honesty, I wouldn't carry it with me when I fly anyway...I keep it in my car because you never know when something like that will come in handy...either as a weapon or for it's intended use)
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
I've been all over with a minimum of three as carry on and never had one questioned at a checkpoint anywhere in the world, but then I've never tried to take a 6 D cell cop club Maglight.

A small nickel size single LED on my key chain, and a penlight in my zippered ticket case. Uses AAAA batteries(not a typo) and is the size of a ball point pen, but very bright. Drop something under a seat with dark carpets and upholstry and its dark down there. The third one is where most would never think about. Another penlight in my little first aid kit. If you need it, the lights might be out. . .
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
Darn it...I was hoping to take my big, heavy 4 cell Maglite through security with me the next time. LOL

(In all honesty, I wouldn't carry it with me when I fly anyway...I keep it in my car because you never know when something like that will come in handy...either as a weapon or for it's intended use)
I carry a 4 cell in the car too. But where I live, it's hard to find the 5 and 6 cell. Have to special order them. I carry the small 2 AA model with the LED bulbs when I travel.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
What makes a Mag-lite no go?
The rule that says "TSOs can do anything they want."

Oh. Ahem. Sorry. Let me rephrase.

Originally Posted by http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohibited_items_brochure.pdf
To ensure traveler’s security, transportation security officers (TSOs) may determine that an item not on the prohibited items chart is prohibited. In addition, the TSO may also determine that an item on the permitted chart is dangerous and therefore may not be brought through the security checkpoint.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Hi folks,

Ed
Having been in a hotel fire and sometimes traveling to places where there are power issues, I always carry a small flashlight in my carry-on luggage. Never had a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.