Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flashlight in a carry-on bag?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
If it's the size of a billy club or the size of a baseball bat... It's no-go.

HTSC

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
What makes a Mag-lite no go? Where I live they come in a large range of sizes. Of course, I'd only want the most compact anyway. Gets too big and then it becomes a drag to carry with you. And with the new LED bulbs, the tiny ones throw a lot of light!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
As others have said not a problem. And for reasons already stated, I ALWAYS have a flashlight or 3 on me
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:27 pm

Typically flashlights fall under the 7 inch tool rule.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#7

"Tools (greater than seven inches in length) in Carryon - No - In checked baggage - Yes
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon

"Tools (greater than seven inches in length) in Carryon - No - In checked baggage - Yes
Thanks, Ron. That's a clear answer. ^
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

thanks ron ^ but you know me (duck, ron duck )......who decides if a flashlight is a tool or not? this one is not only wide open for playing on the word "tool" (now i'm ducking ) but also wide open for "screener discretion" saying that the flashlight can be used as a weapon
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium

unfortunately that rule isn't consistently applied. As there have been numerous reports of tools less then 7" being confiscated here and elsewhere. I haven't had anything taken from me, but then again I have had to raise a stink more then a couple of times, and been able to keep my property.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by goalie
thanks ron ^ but you know me (duck, ron duck )......who decides if a flashlight is a tool or not? this one is not only wide open for playing on the word "tool" (now i'm ducking ) but also wide open for "screener discretion" saying that the flashlight can be used as a weapon
You could do a lot of damage with a laptop if you didn't care if the laptop survived. Pens, pencils, belts, shoes, keys, change, credit cards, finger nails, beer belly, feet, knees, elbows, magazines, books, pretty much anything you carry with you could be used as a weapon. Some of the biggest tools at an airport are often found at checkpoints.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
unfortunately that rule isn't consistently applied. As there have been numerous reports of tools less then 7" being confiscated here and elsewhere. I haven't had anything taken from me, but then again I have had to raise a stink more then a couple of times, and been able to keep my property.
Show me one that is, any rule anywhere.

As for the question about are flashlights tools, I personally believe they all are. A better question is "can they all be used as weapons"? I would have trouble using a AAA cell maglite as a weapon but I'm sure there are "weapons masters" out there that could.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have trouble using a AAA cell maglite as a weapon but I'm sure there are "weapons masters" out there that could.
I would have trouble using 4 oz of toothpaste as a weapon, but TSA has told us that there are "weapons masters" out there that could.....

Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:51 pm

As for the question about are flashlights tools, I personally believe they all are. A better question is "can they all be used as weapons"?
Except that TSA is inconsistent in that aspect of what it chooses to allow and not allow past its checkpoints. Knitting needles could easily be used as puncturing weapons. Matches and cigarette lighters could easily be used to start a fire and thereby cause bodily harm. Scissors could be trivially converted into knives by removing the pivot screw. All of those items are currently allowed on aircraft.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium

As for the question about are flashlights tools, I personally believe they all are. A better question is "can they all be used as weapons"? I would have trouble using a AAA cell maglite as a weapon but I'm sure there are "weapons masters" out there that could.
as for items being wrongfully taken why dont you do a search (since you like to hide behind that excuse alot), and you will get the answer.

Well that is the problem with TSA is that the supposed rules arent followed and made up on the spot more times more times then not IE the TSM that got called out by Bob for making up rules and retaliation.

As for using a AAA maglite as a weapon if you cant figure it out then you have bigger issues to deal with. Personally i have witnessed a AAA maglite disassembled used to do a field tracheotomy (hole in neck into a persons windpipe).
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold

Tools under seven (7) inches allowed:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

From your own agencie's web site.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by JennyElf
I've carried a 6 inch maglite for years w/o any problem.
Same here. Very handy to inspect rental cars in dimly lit lots, etc. On the other hand, I would agree with TSA in
not allowing one of these aboard a flight :

Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: Platinum
i carry a small led headlamp that i use for camping. no problems through tsa
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by frankmu
i carry a small led headlamp that i use for camping. no problems through tsa
I was thinking that might be really good during sleeptime. Or maybe a booklight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.