Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flashlight in a carry-on bag?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I often fly with carry on only; my toilet kit contains a NEBO "Redline" steel flashlight using an insert with three AAA batteries, well under 7" in overall length; it has a crenellated bezel.

I've had this flashlight / torch for several years and have had no problems with it even being removed for inspection in many US airports (SMF, SFO, LAX, PHX, CLT, MIA, DFW, SAT...) and at many foreign airports (LIS, AMS, DOH, CMB, SYD, PER, LHR, FCO, CDG...)
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsonlyme999
What do you mean by problems?
Please explain.

I know these lights are discontinued, but other then that, what problems are you referring to?

I will pack it in my checked-in luggage.
I think he meant problems with TSA and the possibility of the flashlight not being allowed.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:15 am

I had been chatting with TSA on their message system and they said its fine packing this light ONLY in a checked bag and I can also leave the batteries inside the light as well. I even sent them the photo of the same light in question.

Thanks to all here for your support!

Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had been chatting with TSA on their message system and they said its fine packing this light ONLY in a checked bag and I can also leave the batteries inside the light as well. I even sent them the photo of the same light in question.

Was that message system @ASKTSA on twitter or some other outlet?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Keep in mind that the screener at the checkpoint has the final say, regardless of what anyone else at TSA has told you. On AskTSA, some bot replies actually remind pax that there are no guarantees based on AskTSA answers.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:16 am

Yes, it was on their Twitter message system.

But yes, on the TSA website, it does warn passengers that the TSA agent has the final word even if an item is allowed on carry-on bags.

i just need your opinions on my question.
I just LOVE this flashlight and it's very hard to find now, practically nowhere...and it was just my luck to get my hands on one of these.

With that said, would it be the best to pack it in my checked luggage?

Would it be a risk if TSA would take ithe light away from me? The light is 7.5 inches long, so it would be a risk.

What at are your thoughts?

Should I check it in my luggage or risk carrying it in my carry-on?

Last edited by itsonlyme999; Jun 22, 2017 at 8:15 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:16 am

I definitely would not risk taking it in carry-on because of the size. This seems to be something lots of TSOs target - slightly oversize 'tools'.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it was on their Twitter message system.

But yes, on the TSA website, it does warn passengers that the TSA agent has the final word even if an item is allowed on carry-on bags.

i just need your opinions on my question.
I just LOVE this flashlight and it's very hard to find now, practically nowhere...and it was just my luck to get my hands on one of these.

With that said, would it be the best to pack it in my checked luggage?

Would it be a risk if TSA would take ithe light away from me? The light is 7.5 inches long, so it would be a risk.

What at are your thoughts?

Should I check it in my luggage or risk carrying it in my carry-on?
If you take it in carry-on and any TSA screener thinks it is a risk you will no longer have that flashlight.

So the question is how much do you want to gamble?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:37 pm

If you want to try taking it, then I would suggest that either someone drops you off at the airport and circles around until you have cleared security, or, depending how your airport is set up, you can have your own pre-stamped envelope ready to mail it to yourself if TSA wants to take it from you. If you go that route, you have to allow extra time and make sure that the airport has post boxes.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:14 am

I will just put it in my checked-in luggage. No big deal.
Thanks for all of your support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.