Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Used my GE ID recently at ORD, MHK, LGA, and PDX with no issues whatsoever. I was expecting at least a comment at MHK (a tiny 1 gate airport), but the guy there didn't even blink at it. Will try it at DFW this week.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Dresden
I used it at IAD last week without any trouble. Next time I think I will use my retired law enforcement (HR218) concealed weapons ID and see what the reaction is. . . Every now and then I use my passport, when traveling short distances in the US, just to see what the screeners will say.
I got held up by the TSA at IAD for almost an hour because they didn't want to accept my CHL. Even though I pointed out that it is issued by the same agency that issues Texas Driver's Licenses and is therefore allowed under their rules.
Also got the SSSS treatment out of the deal.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA gold
I never had a problem with my GE card until JFK T7 last month. Gave it to the TDC and scanned my boarding pass. Conversation went as follows:

TDC: I'm sorry sir, but while this may be valid ID in your country, it's not valid ID in my country

Me: <stares incredulously at the guy> That card is issued by customs and border patrol in the US.

TDC: Sorry sir, but we can't accept foreign ID. I'll need to see a passport

I had my passport with me anyway, so I gave it to him. No response on the US passport. After security, I talked to a supervisor, and his response was that with all the IDs out there, he couldn't expect everyone to learn, but he'd remind them.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by dblevitan
I never had a problem with my GE card until JFK T7 last month. Gave it to the TDC and scanned my boarding pass. Conversation went as follows:

TDC: I'm sorry sir, but while this may be valid ID in your country, it's not valid ID in my country

Me: <stares incredulously at the guy> That card is issued by customs and border patrol in the US.

I had my passport with me anyway, so I gave it to him. No response on the US passport. After security, I talked to a supervisor, and his response was that with all the IDs out there, he couldn't expect everyone to learn, but he'd remind them.
With the screener at the TDC that would be worth 30 minutes of my time berating him for not knowing the accepted IDs issued by his own Department of Homeland Security.

On the supervisor who fluffed it off as there are too many IDs for the TDC to learn, that would be worth at least 15 minutes berating him for not doing his job and actually encouraging incompetence.

Give no quarter.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I only use my Nexus card for TSA now. I have not any issues
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
With the screener at the TDC that would be worth 30 minutes of my time berating him for not knowing the accepted IDs issued by his own Department of Homeland Security.

On the supervisor who fluffed it off as there are too many IDs for the TDC to learn, that would be worth at least 15 minutes berating him for not doing his job and actually encouraging incompetence.

Give no quarter.
And of course, there is the even more eye-rolling fact that a foreign passport, by definition, is a foreign ID; therefore, according to the TDC's own "rules" a foreign passport would not be acceptable.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond

I just came back from DUB and could not use my GOES card and had to use the passport the old fashioned way. It is possible I missed the spot where the card goes though as when I asked the CBP agent she said I should just scanned it.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by ekwang
I just came back from DUB and could not use my GOES card and had to use the passport the old fashioned way. It is possible I missed the spot where the card goes though as when I asked the CBP agent she said I should just scanned it.
You didn't miss anything--the Global Entry card is only used if you want to take advantage of US-bound NEXUS lanes at land border crossings entering the US; when using Global Entry airport kiosks you do not use the card but rather scan your passport.

In fact, Global Entry members receiving cards is only a recent phenomenon, when GE members were made eligible to use US-bound NEXUS lanes; prior to that GE members did not receive any sort of card.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:41 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EnhancedByCO
You didn't miss anything--the Global Entry card is only used if you want to take advantage of US-bound NEXUS lanes at land border crossings entering the US; when using Global Entry airport kiosks you do not use the card but rather scan your passport.

In fact, Global Entry members receiving cards is only a recent phenomenon, when GE members were made eligible to use US-bound NEXUS lanes; prior to that GE members did not receive any sort of card.
GE members can also use the SENTRI lanes into the United States (in a SENTRI-approved vehicle or on foot).
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond

And now we can enroll in AUS' SmartGate program as GOES members!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by ekwang
And now we can enroll in AUS' SmartGate program as GOES members!
Is there an enrollment process? From what I read it sounded like the necessary data was being shared behind the scenes to allow US passport holders who are Trusted Traveler Program members to use the gates without any sort of further registration.

And to be annoyingly pedantic, anyone can be a GOES member just by setting up an account--GOES stands for the Global Online Enrollment System (technically, even those rejected for Global Entry retain an account on GOES). I suspect you meant to refer to TTP members, since only approved members of one of the several Trusted Traveler Programs offered by CBP can use the SmartGate program.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dblevitan

I had two big arguments at T2, but I complained and since then I have gone through with it about 4 or 5 times. Every time but one they knew what it was; the other time (T4) they found somebody who did know and were apologetic about not personally knowing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.