Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP and Star Alliance Gold benefits when travelling on cheapest Economy ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
so yes, 1+1 = 2
Yes, we have 2 flights with TAP, ZRH-LIS (Award) and LIS-VLC(Discount REV ticket).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Had the luggage issue. Fare type DISCOUNT within Europe gets zero bags. However, unlike Lufthansa, TAP will give *G an extra bag, meaning you can take 1 bag.

Seating however is a PITA, even at OLCI if you want to change your seat they want to charge you. The whole plane becomes chargeable if you want to change from the crappy seat they assigned you. And once you change you seat the OLCI process won't give you a boarding pass until you pay with no possibility of cancelling the seat reservation. Stuck, and it sucks.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Had the luggage issue. Fare type DISCOUNT within Europe gets zero bags. However, unlike Lufthansa, TAP will give *G an extra bag, meaning you can take 1 bag.

Seating however is a PITA, even at OLCI if you want to change your seat they want to charge you. The whole plane becomes chargeable if you want to change from the crappy seat they assigned you. And once you change you seat the OLCI process won't give you a boarding pass until you pay with no possibility of cancelling the seat reservation. Stuck, and it sucks.
lol, I will take my print out from twitter with me to the airport.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
To come back about this issue; I kept checking KVS and noticed that at T-3h from departure, all seats were de-blocked and without charge, including the premium ones. That way I was able to get exit row seats on the first flight (new config, very nice) and comfort seats on the way back (old config).
So during OLCI you couldn't change/select your seat (even if you have TAP/basic and not discount?) but then some hours before the departure you could do anything?

That sounds cool(er then before).
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
So during OLCI you couldn't change/select your seat (even if you have TAP/basic and not discount?) but then some hours before the departure you could do anything?

That sounds cool(er then before).
Exactly, though I was flying on TAP Discount on both flights.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:41 pm

Hm, I have an upcoming flight with TP. Will check, test and come back.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hm, I have an upcoming flight with TP. Will check, test and come back.
Take this with you:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 7.31.03 PM.png
Views: 2463
Size:  106.4 KB
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:47 pm

data point from my cheapest Economy ticket as *G, family of 4 paxs

MAD-LIS
Empty check-in counter, agent helped us nicely, got 1 free checked bag and even 2nd one as it was only carry-on/small size. Nice
Flight was quite empty so got few empty seats between us

LIS-BCN
1st time ever, *G refused my check-in as "company policy" only allows *G + 1 guest, how stupid. 4 agents sitting there doing nothing

I used the regular check-in lane and got helped (due to having kids) quickly, got my 1 free checked bag. Sadly 4 separate seats (despite 1 PNR and 2 small kids)

Flight was oversold and we got upgraded at the gate to Biz
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:05 am

So no possibility of choosing a seat (at no cost, during check-in) ?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryhung
data point from my cheapest Economy ticket as *G, family of 4 paxs

MAD-LIS
Empty check-in counter, agent helped us nicely, got 1 free checked bag and even 2nd one as it was only carry-on/small size. Nice
Flight was quite empty so got few empty seats between us

LIS-BCN
1st time ever, *G refused my check-in as "company policy" only allows *G + 1 guest, how stupid. 4 agents sitting there doing nothing

I used the regular check-in lane and got helped (due to having kids) quickly, got my 1 free checked bag. Sadly 4 separate seats (despite 1 PNR and 2 small kids)

Flight was oversold and we got upgraded at the gate to Biz

Good for you! ^^^
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I made some cheap (very cheap) bookings for a trip around Europe in September including a couple of TP flights (BCN-LIS and LIS-BIO). The booking wouldn't recognize my Air NZ *G number (probably because it starts with a 0 - tried all sorts of permutations). Anyway, made the bookings and then went to 'manage my bookings' and inserted my number afterwards. It then allowed me to choose any seat in Y class. As the LIS-BIO is an ATR-72 (I fly on these weekly in NZ) the best seat is 17B/C, which it allowed me to choose (even Air NZ doesn't allow me this until T-48). I chose 6C for my BCN-LIS as anything forward of this was greyed out (assuming biz class).
Very happy with the price, process and seat choice.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:03 am

That's weird! I remember doing the exact thing as you back in October/2016 for a trip, but this time it seems that doesn't work now (at least for me as A3 *G). I tried removing the FF and adding it again but nope!

The website is clear though. Seat selection is not a provision for *G. Something that TP confirmed to me via Twitter. They also told me that a random seat will be assigned during check-in which however can be changed (by paying)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:36 am

So no possibility of choosing a seat (at no cost, during check-in) ?
They also told me that a random seat will be assigned during check-in which however can be changed (by paying)
This is correct.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
For now, you can have it changed at the counter (for free) if there are seats to be changed to.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Palal
For now, you can have it changed at the counter (for free) if there are seats to be changed to.
Interesting. How far in advance can you do this? T-3?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.