Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RunRun
Does BA or any Oneworld FPP not work the same way where you can use miles to buy business class flight on other Oneworld partners?
Yes. With OW airlines ffp you can get award flights on other airlines subject to availability.
The cost in miles/avios/points and cash surcharge (if applicable) can/does vary a lot between ffp's. As do the award rules, particularly for a for a muilti segment trip.

Frequent Flyer Award assistance tools
Use at your own risk. (These are not recommendations)
These links give a guide of ff miles needed. These may not be up to date.
-AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds --> http://www.awardace.com/ Has surcharge indication
-Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> http://www.flyermiler.com/
-http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ast-miles.html --> http://www.awardhacker.com/
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pbd456
AA does challenge but it is paid. and they dont do challenge on the top tier, as far as I remember. i dont know if BA does challenge. but BA status is pretty easy. 300/600/1500 tier point. one round trip in J (4 sectors over 2000 miles) is already 560 tier points.

it is expected that EI may join oneworld. or if u can fly connecting flight via LHR? or if you are stuck with EI, then credit to BA and go for emerald.
Denied match by BA, so trying AA to see if they'll offer challenge.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
long (at least 3 years) soft expiry, easy to get short haul economy award
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
<10 k, most probably 2 - 5 k, about 2 to 6 sectors, on all alliances combined
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
cheapest cabin
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
For international sports competition
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Short-haul routes on Non-Hong Kong based airlines from Hong Kong
(6) What is your home airport?
HKG
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
none
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Any non-Hong Kong based airlines are OK, just avoid CX/KA/HX/UO

When choosing flights my only concerns are time (non-stop flights are preferred) and price (always cheapest cabin unless higher cabin available in less than 10% premium)

Moreover, due to my mistake I entered a non-alliance FFP during booking into my Finnair long-haul flight taken in July, which I only found out the non-recognition after a month. I tried BA but it only allowed me to claim its own flight retroactively, but not partner's flight.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by miklcct
long (at least 3 years) soft expiry, easy to get short haul economy award
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
<10 k, most probably 2 - 5 k, about 2 to 6 sectors, on all alliances combined
cheapest cabin
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
For international sports competition
Short-haul routes on Non-Hong Kong based airlines from Hong Kong
HKG
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
none

When choosing flights my only concerns are time (non-stop flights are preferred) and price (always cheapest cabin unless higher cabin available in less than 10% premium)

Moreover, due to my mistake I entered a non-alliance FFP during booking into my Finnair long-haul flight taken in July, which I only found out the non-recognition after a month. I tried BA but it only allowed me to claim its own flight retroactively, but not partner's flight.
you shouldnt bother too much. divide the no of sectors by 4 (3 alliance and non-alliane). you fly 2.5k miles or 1 sector in each alliance per year. in the cheapest booking class which not even earn miles.

not a lot of point into investing your time to study something that gives you little return.

instead you should focus on programs you can earn miles from spending and others method (as opposed to flying) (it depends on what countries you are in, and what type of credit cards you can get) and just credit flights to those programs to add to it.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by pbd456
you shouldnt bother too much. divide the no of sectors by 4 (3 alliance and non-alliane). you fly 2.5k miles or 1 sector in each alliance per year. in the cheapest booking class which not even earn miles.

not a lot of point into investing your time to study something that gives you little return.

instead you should focus on programs you can earn miles from spending and others method (as opposed to flying) (it depends on what countries you are in, and what type of credit cards you can get) and just credit flights to those programs to add to it.
I asked about this before and found that the credit card miles programmes are even not worthwhile for me because my spending is too little which makes annual fee not worthwhile (some cards even charges fee to convert points into miles), and use other credit cards instead, so I need to think of some ways to accumulate miles.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miklcct
<snip>
HKG
none
<snip>
Looking for a OW ffp, living in HKG and not wanting to fly the HKG based airlines [CX, etc] not a choice left or OW airlines you can fly on

AA used to be default ffp, but since it changed to a revenue based ffp now not the default option

Alaska AS may be an option for you, due to the many partners. But AS now not having DL as a partner and AA gone from 2017, has reduced the appeal.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
MOVING away from AA to ???

Caveat to the answers:
Used to be AA EXEC PLAT for the past 10 years. Given the revenue imposed
Home base is BCN. But have homes in MIA and PDP (Punta del Este, Uruguay). So travel often to the US and South America. Once in the US or South America do need short trips (US, EUROPE)
Pay for my own tickets (there are 2 of us plus GUIDE DOG).
Ability to transfer CC miles is also important currently AMEX PLAT and IBERIA Sendo (only for those places that will not accept AMEX).

Soft expiry, Link to Credit Card, lounge access, ability to redeem miles (must say 90% of the times in the past have been able to secure OW award tkts for the routes that was looking reason that do not want to jump ship to lets say SKYTEAM that is my next choice).
Managed to fly 100K on AA
Used to buy mostly cheap economy fares but gradually moved to mostly or mixed J W
YES. Pleasure and Work
BCN-US, BCN-MVD, BCN-ASIA (pleasure and biz)
BCN
Downgraded to gold on AA have some miles left
AA, IB, QR

Having said that my analysis has shown that AA will no longer suit me, seems that best bet is between BA and IB. One other reason to support that is the fact that this year my heavy travel will elapse into 2018 (my BA calendar year is MAY8).

Let me know if I have missed anything and thanks in advance.

Best, JC
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
BA Exec Club has a minimum BA metal four-segment requirement for status-aquiring purposes, which, in your case, is going to be a problem (BA and guide dogs don't really mix well, which is part BA policies, part UK animal import regulations).
I`d go with IB unless getting your dog on BA flights hasn't been a problem for you.
Or stay with AA and employ some workarounds to get around the revenue requirements such as booking partner codeshares (if those exist on your routes!) where EQD/EQM/RDM earning remains distance-based. This works especially well for longhaul flights in premium cabins. A few good leads are in the 'AA EQD runs' thread: 2017 AA EQD Run
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
Originally Posted by bhomburg
BA Exec Club has a minimum BA metal four-segment requirement for status-aquiring purposes, which, in your case, is going to be a problem (BA and guide dogs don't really mix well, which is part BA policies, part UK animal import regulations).
I`d go with IB unless getting your dog on BA flights hasn't been a problem for you.
Or stay with AA and employ some workarounds to get around the revenue requirements such as booking partner codeshares (if those exist on your routes!) where EQD/EQM/RDM earning remains distance-based. This works especially well for longhaul flights in premium cabins. A few good leads are in the 'AA EQD runs' thread: 2017 AA EQD Run
Hi thanks for the answer, and sorry for the late reply.

Getting the guide dog on BA is not a problem.
The four segment minimum BA Executive since can also be obtained via IB flights is not a problem and easily done (a couple of shuttle flights BCNMAD do the trick).

Staying with AA poses a double challenge the miles and dollars (thanks do follow the AA MR discussion board).

Having said that still trying to decide on what my best bet is if BA or IB... Will have to do a little spreadsheet analysis to compare.

Thanks...

Any further input on wether IB or BA do appreciate.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FB Silver, BA Bronze
Good award rates and availability in premium cabins; upgrades
~ 50 000 miles, ~ 30 flights
work: J for longhaul, cheap Y for shorthaul; leisure: cheapest economy
Can choose airline within reason; most of my travel is work related.
TATL 3-4x per year, intra-EU
BRU, soon to be MSY
Just hit UA 1K, have been FB silver for many years based on segments, BA blue
UA, LH, KL, BA

I have been collecting miles for about 10 years now, mainly with Skyteam and Star Alliance, but will soon be relocating to Louisiana and foresee quite some travel with One World going forward. I have about 50k miles banked with BA but am always shocked by the high fees charged for award tickets. Wondering if the time has come to switch to another program...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:45 pm

I am not sure if this question shall be ask in the Oneworld forum or Star Alliance forum

Good award rates, and more lenient in mileage expiry
Not for any status/membership or other benefits

2 (or 3) Round Trips from BRU to HKG (Single journey trip from Europe to HKG around 5900 miles)
Around 5900*2(round trip)*2(times) = 23600 miles

Economy or Premium Economy

Can select any airline, for pleasure at my own cost

2 (or 3) Round Trips from BRU to HKG (Single journey trip from Europe to HKG around 5900 miles),
travelling *A or OW airlines for miles accumulation

BRU & HKG

Will hit BA Bronze, Oneworld Ruby soon
I am earning NH(ANA) miles for family redeem ticket only, not for status, redeeming HKG-NRT in NH miles is only 20000 miles in normal season

Any will do, most of time Oneworld (BA) or Star Alliance,
but not SAS Go (long haul).

Additional Question:
Based on the above pattern, I wish to have an *A and OW account each,
For OW account, I found BA suits me,
How about the *A account, any recommendations? UA, NH, OZ, A3?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Priority services, lounge access, RDM

>50K miles, always in economy class

Cheapest economy ticket with at least 50% accrual

I can choose any airlines, but my budget sticks me to economy(will feel guilty if I buy biz tickets with my parents' money).

TPAC routes most often, and TATL sometimes.

PVG, LAX. Home based in PVG, attending university abroad, university location is close to LAX.

Currently SQ*G with 53K miles in bank, also have 44K miles in bank with AV(duh!)

This is the weirdest part for me. I prefer airlines that I haven't flown before. I always want to try new airlines. Since I've flown AA/BA/AY/QF/CX before, I will not consider flying those airlines anymore. With AB leaving OW, now I only have JL/LA/MH/S7/UL/QR/IB/RJ to kill.

Additional Question:
I have SQ*G (used to credit all my UA TPAC deep discounted economy tickets to SQ), now with SQ cuts UA's G/K class to 25%, I have to look for other options. Is there a chance that I can match/challenge for any oneworld carrier? Not looking for AA as I hate revenue-based RDMs.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:08 pm

Hi, I am new to one world but will be taking some flights on British Airways. I have status on Star Alliance. Hope to get some advice.

Reply: Consolidating miles for redemption or upgrade. Second, to get status for lounge access

Reply: with one world, likely <10,000, <10 flights

Reply: Economy
Reply: Yes to both. More for work.

Reply: US domestic, Europe (within Europe)

Reply: Singapore

Reply: None with OW. Frequent flyer on Star Alliance (SQ)

Reply: Likely American Airlines
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:08 am
OKI

Hi everyone, I am (yet another) new to this site and I'll be thankful for any advice you can give.

I am from Israel, flying to east Asia every 2-3 month (about 50K miles a year).
Usually, I am taking the SkyTeam’s Aeroflot, but sometimes I need fly OneWorld’s Cathay pacific.

Flying Aeroflot, I received my Elite status very quick (2 trips).
I’ve just did some checking, and noticed obtaining an equivalent OneWorld status will take me forever (10 trips) – as collecting Cathay’s miles and points is really slow for economy seats. In addition, Cathay charges 100$ fees.

Am I missing something?
Does anyone have an idea for a better course of action? Maybe crediting the mileage to a different FFP?

Priority Check In & boarding. Redemptions would also be nice.

about 50K, about 30 flights.

Cheapest cabin

Traveling for work. Limited flexibility (as long as the prices are about the same).

Crossing Asia from Israel (Tel-Aviv) to Vietnam/Philippines.

TLV (Tel-Aviv, Israel).

Silver status at Aeroflot (SkyTeam Elite)

Cathay pacific.

Thank you very much,
I'll appreciate any help you can offer.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OKI Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by OKI
..I am from Israel, flying to east Asia every 2-3 month (about 50K miles a year). Usually, I am taking the SkyTeam’s Aeroflot, but sometimes I need fly OneWorld’s Cathay Pacific.

Flying Aeroflot, I received my Elite status very quick (2 trips).
I’ve just did some checking, and noticed obtaining an equivalent OneWorld status will take me forever (10 trips) – as collecting Cathay’s miles and points is really slow for economy seats. In addition, Cathay charges 100$ fees.

Am I missing something?
Does anyone have an idea for a better course of action? Maybe crediting the mileage to a different FFP?.
With Cathay Pacific CX low cost economy fares can earn few or even nil redeemable ff miles: that's just the way it is.
Example:- http://www.wheretocredit.com/cathay-pacific-airways/n
What fare booking class do you fly? (will not be Y).

While possible, unlikely you will earn status a faster with another ffp. Calculating the status earning for a ffp can be a lot harder.
What benefits from status will you get?

Alaska AS ffp is another option flying CX, but AS partners are reducing. AA will not be a ff partner from 01 Jan 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.