Wiki Posts
Search

2017 AA EQD Run

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
2017 AA EQD Run

I've searched so if it exists I apologize for asking but is there a thread started for AA EQD runs?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXAA
I've searched so if it exists I apologize for asking but is there a thread started for AA EQD runs?
Well, surely someone can do better than something like this?

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...X838;sc=p;a=CX

By my calculations this would be about 2556 EQD (based on 20% of base miles 12784 for booking class E) for actual spend of $1815 - give or take a mile and / or a dollar. So roughly 1.41 EQD per actual dollar spent.

Any thoughts on what a good EQD per actual dollar spent is a good deal? Great deal?

Last edited by Pat89339; Dec 19, 2016 at 1:50 pm Reason: Edit to add quote
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
All end of year runs belong in the consolidated thread. It would be helpful to know the details in order for others to respond.

Pat89339, Moderator
Mileage Run Forum

Last edited by Pat89339; Dec 19, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pat89339
All end of year runs belong in the consolidated thread. It would be helpful to know the details in order for others to respond.

Pat89339, Moderator
Mileage Run Forum
I wouldn't want to do an EQD run in 2016 since it wouldn't count for anything. I'm looking ahead to 2017 since it's only 13 days away. As such I have no details to offer, I just couldn't find any threads discussing potential EQD runs for 2017...
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't want to do an EQD run in 2016 since it wouldn't count for anything. I'm looking ahead to 2017 since it's only 13 days away. As such I have no details to offer, I just couldn't find any threads discussing potential EQD runs for 2017...
I've split the relevant posts into this thread for the time being.

UA never had a thread like this, even though they have had PQD for three years now. I don't understand the purpose of this thread when you have to meet a spend. I, for one, buy more P fares internationally than I have ever done before and still haven't reached the required spend for UA (although I will by year end), even though my PQMs are now over 200K.

I'm happy to be enlightened.

Pat89339, Moderator
Mileage Run Forum
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
... I don't understand the purpose of this thread when you have to meet a spend. I, for one, buy more P fares internationally than I have ever done before and still haven't reached the required spend for UA (although I will by year end), even though my PQMs are now over 200K.

I'm happy to be enlightened.

Pat89339, Moderator
Mileage Run Forum
UA and AA (which is what the OP posted about) programs are fundamentally different, in the sense that UA offers no PQD at all unless it is ticketed on UA (and perhaps some partners like NH, LH). AA however offers (vcarying) PQD on all alliance partners, regardless of which document is issued.

The OP presumably wanted to initiate a thread where FT members can suggest the max PQD bang for the buck.

PS. Those who are enslaved to UA will no doubt be unable to appreciate this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Dec 19, 2016 at 10:37 pm Reason: TOS 12
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Meeting spend

Meeting spend is exactly what I'm talking about. Since EQD (Elite Qualifying Dollars) are a function of base miles x a percentage (on partner airlines and percentage depends on booking class) then it's possible to earn more EQD's than one actually spends on the fare. This would seem advantageous to me considering I don't really want to spend $12k to get to executive platinum in 2017. So, my thinking is, if I can spend anything less (hopefully significantly less) than $12k and still get to executive platinum then I've come out ahead. Am I missing something and thinking about this all wrong?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hertz Gold
I would be very interested in something like this since I too plan to try and achieve Platinum Pro or EXP through partner EQD earnings.

With the new AA changes, we definitely need to devise new strategies. Some MRs will be heavy on EQD while others on EQM. My initial thought was on some sort of weighted metric that incorporates both EQD and EQM but that really only makes sense if you're in premium cabins (earning >1 EQM) on partnered flights.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
An excellent solution, which I would find very useful. It seems clear that new strategies are needed and that EQD strategies are very different from EQM tactics. Aside from suggestions for specific runs, a place to discuss metrics (what constitutes a good earn ratio) and related issues seems necessary.
Previous posters are spot on in noting that the AA situation is a bit more complicated than that of United and hence can benefit more from shared, dynamic information.
The good deals on premium fares thread is useful as a substitute, but lacks much of the relevant detail needed.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
My strategy for AA EQD is:

1. Purchase US-Europe Business Class ticket w/Citi Thank you points before the June devaluation.

2. Purchase a USA-South America Business Class ticket with AMEX MR Points (Have Business Platinum CC/50% rebate)

3. Spend $50,000 on Aviator Silver CC

4. Although purchasing Business Class tickets through AA Vacations is an option, it is not part of my strategy.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dean Weng
I would be very interested in something like this since I too plan to try and achieve Platinum Pro or EXP through partner EQD earnings.

With the new AA changes, we definitely need to devise new strategies. Some MRs will be heavy on EQD while others on EQM. My initial thought was on some sort of weighted metric that incorporates both EQD and EQM but that really only makes sense if you're in premium cabins (earning >1 EQM) on partnered flights.
The example that I posted above earns 1.5 EQM
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
This is definitely going to be part of my strategy for next year. It's just a matter of shifting the runs from AA to partners in discount J, which is honestly way more fun.

Have booked:

QR J- CMB-DOH-BOS RT, but outbound in Feb, return in June. Positioning one way with AA to KUL, then hopping over to CMB. Positioning the other way (to get home) are some more high EQD flights on the cheap- QR J CMB-DOH-CAI, booked into D and A class, and then CAI-DOH-IAH booked into A and then D class. All this nets around 54,000EQM, 75,000 RDM, and over 7,000 EQD. Total actual spend, sub- 3k. Plus, all in all a super comfortable couple of trips with some 24- 8 hr stopovers and great lounges. Put together with spending 25k on the Aviator, and that should do it easily for my year.

Going forward, I'm looking at:

-More discount QR J fares.
-BA and CX PE fares.
-AA vacations- either medium length in J, or long haul in Y (10% isn't bad still).

Did a bit of a write up a few weeks ago, in case it's helpful for anyone: http://cruisingaltitude42.blogspot.c...age-style.html

(Note, I don't earn from this site/blog. Just posting since it's relevant)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
For a concrete example, this (long) flight from DUR-MIA- https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...c=b;a=ONEWORLD

Earns in the neighborhood of (doing quick math here):

EQM- 36,000
RDM- 52,800 (for an EXP)
EQD- $4,800

For just shy of $1900 spend.

You do, yes, have to start in DUR, but there are some cheap fares to get there, and if you're good, you could split this trip into 2 different weeks or months to make it more enjoyable.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:33 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Careful,

as the airlines have been known to monitor FT for loop holes in their system. So, too much bragging about high multiples of EQD's for certain deals could backfire.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Right now, which partnecr(s) look best to you for earning EQDs in coach? In premium cabin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.