Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, Korean Air, Emirates FF, Mariott, IHG, Hilton
This might be a dumb question, but I'm only new to alliances as I didn't really realise them until recently. But can you earn points as for example just OneWorld points with any of their alliance airlines? Or should I make a FF for each airline I begin to regularly fly with.
So far I've got British Airways, American Airlines and Qantas.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyWithKaeMarie
This might be a dumb question, but I'm only new to alliances as I didn't really realise them until recently. But can you earn points as for example just OneWorld points with any of their alliance airlines? Or should I make a FF for each airline I begin to regularly fly with.
There is no such thing a Oneworld ff points (or Star alliance ff points)
With alliance's & ff partners if say you are a member of the BA avios ffp you can also earn BA avios on QF & AA flights.
Earnings can vary. www.wheretocredit.com
Airlines have alliance & non alliance ff partners For example EY Etihad is an AA ff partner. VA is a partner with SQ Singapore & EY Etihad.
It is not a good idea to be a member of many ffps'. You never get enough miles/points/avios to be useful. They can expire.
FF miles/points are not equal between ffp's . For example QF is poor compared to AA (earn/burn).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There is no such thing a Oneworld ff points (or Star alliance ff points)
With alliance's & ff partners if say you are a member of the BA avios ffp you can also earn BA avios on QF & AA flights.
Earnings can vary. www.wheretocredit.com
Airlines have alliance & non alliance ff partners For example EY Etihad is an AA ff partner. VA is a partner with SQ Singapore & EY Etihad.
It is not a good idea to be a member of many ffps'. You never get enough miles/points/avios to be useful. They can expire.
FF miles/points are not equal between ffp's . For example QF is poor compared to AA (earn/burn).

I see. Still trying to get my head around all these points and systems. I mainly use Qantas as I live in Aussieland but I've been looking to try different airlines recently and dunno what to do in terms of points.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I see. Still trying to get my head around all these points and systems. I mainly use Qantas as I live in Aussieland but I've been looking to try different airlines recently and dunno what to do in terms of points.
You need to look at how many frequent flyer miles/points/avois/what ever in your Qantas, Emirates, Korean Air, Qatar, Etihad, Singapore, BA, VNA & AA ff accounts.
Then when they will expire. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html
And then how many are needed for an award/upgrade/toaster from the QF ff shop/what ever. What do you want to do the ff miles/points?

25% earn rate in a fpp where they can be used is far better than 75% earn rate in a ffp that will expire before you get enough to use.

Upgrades are generally only on the airline of the ffp (not partners) But as is the way with ffp's there are some limited exceptions
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Isn't FlyWithKaeMarie after a different answer: the three airlines you mention are all in the same OneWorld Alliance. You should choose just one FF programme from one of these airlines and use that FF membership to accrue mileage and tier points when you fly on all these airlines into that single FF programme. This is how you move up the tiers and get more benefits/privileges.

If you open accounts and save points in the FF programme of each individual airline then it's unlikely you'll accrue enough miles and tier points to be useful for redemptions/upgrades/lounge access etc. Unless you're a road warrior and flying in business class with all these airlines all the time which is unlikely given the question you ask.

Generally people choose the airline they fly the most with. Choose one and stick with it. When you reach the next tier with that airline the benefits will apply across all OneWorld airlines and you can redeem your miles on all OneWorld airlines (for example, I redeemed Malaysian Enrich points for a Qatar flight - it was fewer points and less cash than redeeming on Malaysian itself).
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Isn't FlyWithKaeMarie after a different answer: the three airlines you mention are all in the same OneWorld Alliance. You should choose just one FF programme from one of these airlines and use that FF membership to accrue mileage and tier points when you fly on all these airlines into that single FF programme. This is how you move up the tiers and get more benefits/privileges.

If you open accounts and save points in the FF programme of each individual airline then it's unlikely you'll accrue enough miles and tier points to be useful for redemptions/upgrades/lounge access etc. Unless you're a road warrior and flying in business class with all these airlines all the time which is unlikely given the question you ask.

Generally people choose the airline they fly the most with. Choose one and stick with it. When you reach the next tier with that airline the benefits will apply across all OneWorld airlines and you can redeem your miles on all OneWorld airlines (for example, I redeemed Malaysian Enrich points for a Qatar flight - it was fewer points and less cash than redeeming on Malaysian itself).
Thank you, yes this is what I was asking just didn't know how to put it. As an Aussie, I have a credit card that accrues our national airlines points: Qantas. As they are part of the OneWorld Alliance I was unsure if I would accrue points under "OneWorld" or individually and have to get individual FF programs for each airline I fly with - as I like to fly with different ones all the time.

The next question, though, is if I fly with American and use my Qantas FF number - as they are one alliance, would I receive the full points I would if I used my American Airlines FF number or would it be reduced?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Thank you, yes this is what I was asking just didn't know how to put it. As an Aussie, I have a credit card that accrues our national airlines points: Qantas. As they are part of the OneWorld Alliance I was unsure if I would accrue points under "OneWorld" or individually and have to get individual FF programs for each airline I fly with - as I like to fly with different ones all the time.

The next question, though, is if I fly with American and use my Qantas FF number - as they are one alliance, would I receive the full points I would if I used my American Airlines FF number or would it be reduced?
If you've got a credit card that converts points to Qantas miles and this is your "local" airline then Qantas FF scheme should be the one you use.

Don't be hung up too much on maximising each individual flight like the case you mention. It is the accumulation of miles and tier points in a single scheme that releases the greatest value. If you end up with points strewn across different OneWorld schemes you risk not accumulating enough in a single scheme to buy a flight or upgrade a seat or move up to a useful membership tier like Sapphire which gives you lounge access on OneWorld economy tickets.

You cannot move points between OneWorld programmes once they're banked - just use them to get tickets on other OneWorld airlines if you've got enough in a single programme.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As post 1352, you will earn QF points flying an AA flight
You do not always earn 100% flying a QF flight number on QF aircraft. No different with other airlines
Earning rate depends on the class. www.wheretocredit.com/aa

25% earn rate in a fpp where they can be used is far better than 75% earn rate in a ffp that will expire before you get enough to use.

Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:26 am

Thanks both of you for your assistance. There's a lot of miles I've missed out on over the years from not understanding/being part of FF. I joined Qantas because I learned about their upgrade possibilities.

This puts it into a better perspective.

So it would be best to keep Qantas for my OneWorld flights and Emirates for my SkyTeam flights only? (those are the two main alliances i fly with).
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks both of you for your assistance. There's a lot of miles I've missed out on over the years from not understanding/being part of FF. I joined Qantas because I learned about their upgrade possibilities.
<snip>
So it would be best to keep Qantas for my OneWorld flights and Emirates for my SkyTeam flights only? (those are the two main alliances I fly with).
The chances of getting upgrade with QF points on QF flight is low. Some cheap QF fares are not eligible for upgrades.
But only QF points can be used to upgrade a QF flight.
You cannot use QF points to upgrade a flight on another airline.

Emirates EK is not a Skyteam alliance member. EK is not part of any alliance.

Emirates EK is a frequent flyer partner of Qantas QF. You can earn QF points flying eligible EK flights and vs
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
If you fly EK you should credit on a QF ticket to your Qantas FFP. Qantas FFP,ers are allowed in the EK lounge but other OW are not. as I discovered on a QF ticket credited to my BA exec and on EK metal.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:07 am

Hi,
After looking at how much money I'm dumping on plane tickets (mostly low-cost airlines, meh), I've decided it's time do this flying thing a bit less thoughtlessly and try to get more bang-for-buck from flying.
Living in Singapore right now.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Award tickets, maybe class upgrades.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
I've got tickets (booked / flown) for 30 segments as of this post, and that doesn't exhaust all of my travel plans this year.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Generally close to cheapest.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
The only limiting factor is my wallet, and that's one hell of a limiting factor, meh.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Routes -
All over Asia/Aus, have plans for HKG, TPE, MEL.
Europe a couple times a year - MOW, LED, TLL, HEL, RIX, AMS, etc... Considering how far from SIN it all is, doesn't really matter where in Europe I end up.

Airlines -
For the Europe trips, so far it has been EK, QR, AY.
Local - TR, AK, JQ, 5J... meh, don't really count, right?

(6) What is your home airport?
SIN

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Not really, no.

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
No real preferences, no.
Most common up until now have been listed a bit higher, but I'm open to change...
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by nocheckedluggage
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Routes -
All over Asia/Aus, have plans for HKG, TPE, MEL.
Europe a couple times a year - MOW, LED, TLL, HEL, RIX, AMS, etc... Considering how far from SIN it all is, doesn't really matter where in Europe I end up.

Airlines -
For the Europe trips, so far it has been EK, QR, AY.
Local - TR, AK, JQ, 5J... meh, don't really count, right?
Welcome to FlyerTalk nocheckedluggage!

From the airlines you mentioned, EK, QR, AY, JQ will all credit to QF. That seems to be the programme you might earn most with. Another oneworld airline would still credit QR/AY of course but otherwise it's individual programmes here and there for the other airlines you fly. I think Qantas might work for you.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
From the airlines you mentioned, EK, QR, AY, JQ will all credit to QF. That seems to be the programme you might earn most with. Another oneworld airline would still credit QR/AY of course but otherwise it's individual programmes here and there for the other airlines you fly. I think Qantas might work for you.
QF is a very poor ffp compared to others. Earn/burn/award surcharge is not good. Need 4 QF or eligbale JQ flights for status.
AS also has EK & AY as partners and some other OW & skyteam airlines as partners. Sadly AA will not be an AS ff partner next year
www.wheretocredit.com
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Welcome to FlyerTalk nocheckedluggage!

EK has a couple of partners in ST / *A too, could maybe credit somewhere there or just burn the miles in the duty free in Dubai ...

At some point BA was suggested as the optimal ffp for OW with respect to ease of getting status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.