Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Hi all, I'm *A Gold (TK Miles & Smiles Elite) and can easily re-qualify with my short haul travel (mainly from BRU to other European cities). For my long-haul I'd like to have more choice and my customers often require me to choose the cheapest reasonable option, hence I would like to add oneworld to the mix.

I would like to leverage my *A status to status match to a similar level on a oneworld carrier.

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Good award redemption, miles do not easily expire, ability to re-qualify
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Doing about 60 shorthaul segments on *A.
Plan on doing minimum of 4 TATL segments in C each year on oneworld. Mybe Asia (HKG, SIN, ...)
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
TATL: C
Short haul: cheapest
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Mostly work but I'm free to choose if price is similar
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Intra-European, TATL (BRU-NYC, BRU-LAX, BRU-MIA)
(6) What is your home airport?
BRU
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
TK Elite (*A Gold)
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Mostly LH. Would do VS or BA to US.

Thanks for your input!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:44 pm

Be kind, be gentle, I'm new.

Reply: Racking up as many points as possible for personal use at a later date, and miles that do not expire.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
The travel varies.
Reply:I travel to our HQ, Portland, Oregon roundtrip 1-2 times per month (1,676mi - 3,352mi)
There are additional flights to and from new acquisitions such as Dallas, Shreveport, etc.
-Travel to and from HQ (ONT>PDX) 20,112 - 40,224 miles minimum per year.
-Add in acquisition estimates (ONT>SHV) 2,740 - 5,480 miles per month which is 65,760 - 65760 miles per year just for acquisitions.
-That is a yearly combined total of 85,872 - 105,984 miles.

Reply:Business Class

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Travel is for work, I cannot select the airline, but I can opt for business class, I need the leg room.

(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Domestic flights, with the possibility of 1 international flight (yet to be determined). Typically ONT>PDX or LAX>PDX, and then ONT or LAX to an acquisition like SHV.

(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: I would prefer my home airport to be ONT, but sometimes they book a flight out of LAX.

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: I do not have any higher status with my FFP. I've only recently in this last month started a new position which requires frequent travel.

Reply: AmericanAirlines per company and sometimes JetBlue.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

waitingforsanity Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by waitingforsanity

Reply: Racking up as many points as possible for personal use at a later date, and miles that do not expire.
< snip >
Sign up for AAdavantage & US DM now. US miles will become AA mile some time in the future. I am unsure how long AA have for retro credit, but US has/did allow retro credit up to 6 months before you joined. See post 2 and start claiming retro credit of flights already taken. Many airline ffp's require you to a member at the date of the flight.

Also look at the links in post 1 for the AA challenge: a fast way to status. Probably worth the ~$200 fee for you.

AA miles do not expire if you have eligible activity in 18 months. With AA and living in the USA this is easy even if you do not fly. 18 months no expiry is very common with ffp. Some have 36 months. And then some ffp's have a hard miles expiry, where your miles will expire in 3 years, no matter how often you fly. AA does not have hard expiry.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:52 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by waitingforsanity

The travel varies.
Reply:I travel to our HQ, Portland, Oregon roundtrip 1-2 times per month (1,676mi - 3,352mi)
There are additional flights to and from new acquisitions such as Dallas, Shreveport, etc.
-Travel to and from HQ (ONT>PDX) 20,112 - 40,224 miles minimum per year.
-Add in acquisition estimates (ONT>SHV) 2,740 - 5,480 miles per month which is 65,760 - 65760 miles per year just for acquisitions.
-That is a yearly combined total of 85,872 - 105,984 miles.

Reply:Business Class

Reply: Travel is for work, I cannot select the airline, but I can opt for business class, I need the leg room.

Reply: Domestic flights, with the possibility of 1 international flight (yet to be determined). Typically ONT>PDX or LAX>PDX, and then ONT or LAX to an acquisition like SHV.

Reply: I would prefer my home airport to be ONT, but sometimes they book a flight out of LAX.

Reply: I do not have any higher status with my FFP. I've only recently in this last month started a new position which requires frequent travel.

Well, AA doesn't fly nonstop from ONT to PDX, nor, for that matter from LAX. Alaska airlines flies ONT-PDX nonstop (also code-shared by AA) but uses RJs with no first class. AS has FC from LAX to PDX, or you could fly US/AA in FC ONT-xPHX-PDX if you can afford the extra time.

You probably should sign up for the Platinum Challenge with AA. If you accumulate 10,000 elite qualifying points in 3 months you'll make Platinum (Oneworld sapphire) which will double your mileage earning on AA/US/AS and most Oneworld carriers. ONT-PHX-PDX and back would earn roughly 4000 EQP per round trip in first class, so if you're doing just that, you'd hit Plat halfway through your third trip, or sooner if you fly AA/US to other destinations. (If you fly on AS metal, book under the AA code and that will count too.) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

With your anticipated flying, you ought to be able to make AA Executive Platinum fairly easily, with all the perks implied. But start with the Plat challenge since one of your aims is rapid accumulation of redeemable miles.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:26 pm
NFI

Programs: BA Executive Club, Emirates Skywards
Hi all,

I'm currently a BAEC Silver, although with the recent changes I am not sure I will be able to retain my status and I am thinking to change my FFP.

Qatar Privilege Club seems the most obvious choice.

mainly priority services when flying the airline, possibility of using miles for discounts/upgrades and finally lounge access

It is also important to be able to maintain status.

Reply:

more than 100k miles in about 60 flights (40 short haul - 20 long haul), 95% of the time in economy cheapest

I do get occasionally business class on the short haul (3 or 4 flights in total) the remaining time I'm on the cheapest fare

I can choose the airline, i cannot choose the class of service, unless the difference in price is reasonable, I travel 90%of the times for work

Mostly in Europe, plus one flight to Australia, 2-3 to far east, 2 to the Americas and 2 the middle east normally with Qatar Malaysia Airlines or Emirates(going east) or BA(going west)

LHR, LGW, LCY

BAEC Silver and spent most of my miles, Emirates Skywards Silver with currently 17000 miles

In Europe BA, to the east I try to fly Qatar whenever possible.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Reply: Good award redemption rates, good upgrades to Business from economy, basically around the awards
Reply: I would fly domestically in India probably 5-10 times a year, and internationally probably 5-20 flights. Depending on time. Probably 25,000km to 100,000km a year - depending on leave
Reply: Lately business, but that's costing a bit so maybe a bit of business and economy, and if there's a really ridiculously cheap flight then maybe that (but that's just for costs, not points if really cheap)
Reply: 95% pleasure, 5% work
Reply: Before it was Malaysian/Emirates - but now sometimes Jet Air as well. Routes are generally Delhi to Bangalore domestically, and Delhi to KL or Delhi to Melbourne or occasionally Europe.
Reply: DEL (Delhi)
Reply: Silver on Malaysian Enrich, but they're about to devalue their points so I need an alternative asap with flights coming up this year. I also have Emirates Skyways - and I just opened Singapore and BA accounts recently as well. Jet airways in India too.
Reply: It used to be Malaysia Airlines, but since their product is not particularity great anymore, and they are massively devaluing their points - it remains any airline right now. There are plans to go to North America and Melbourne thsi year, so I would be looking at One World partner or direct airlines.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jubbing
Reply: Good award redemption rates, good upgrades to Business from economy, basically around the awards
< snip >
Reply: Silver on Malaysian Enrich, but they're about to devalue their points so I need an alternative asap with flights coming up this year. I also have Emirates Skyways - and I just opened Singapore and BA accounts recently as well. Jet airways in India too.
Reply: It used to be Malaysia Airlines, but since their product is not particularity great anymore, and they are massively devaluing their points - it remains any airline right now. There are plans to go to North America and Melbourne this year, so I would be looking at One World partner or direct airlines.
You can fly one airline and credit the ff miles to another airlines ffp. Too many people assume the airline you fly and the ffp you credit the miles to need to be the same. They do not need to be. But ff miles on partner airlines can earn less.

For good award cost and low co pay fees, (unless on a BA flight) is hard to go past AA. BA is good for short haul awards for some people.

Why did you join the BA ffp (OneWorld)?

Upgrades with miles, if any, are generally only available on the airline of your ffp. Not partner airlines. But there are exceptions. Read post 1

Edit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-devalued.html (09 Feb 2015)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Too many people assume the airline you fly and the ffp you credit the miles to need to be the same. They do not need to be. But ff miles on partner airlines can earn less.
Nope I knew this - but no point funneling into MAS anymore - hence I might as well start a new account. I've flown Qatar and funneled it into MAS.

For good award cost and low co pay fees, (unless on a BA flight) is hard to go past AA. BA is good for short haul awards for some people.

Why did you join the BA ffp (OneWorld)? - I thought I was moving to London once, but that changed.

So AA is the best bet right now?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by jubbing
So AA is the best bet right now?
Perhaps only if you can guarantee you can get 4 AA sectors a year. And everyone is wondering about the new AA program once the merger is completed.

Does your location in India permit easy transits through CMB? Half the status earnings for UL needs to be on UL, but otherwise OW Sapphire would seem to be quite easily earned. Can't speak for upgrades or award availability. But Ul does code share with MH to Australia.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Perhaps only if you can guarantee you can get 4 AA sectors a year. And everyone is wondering about the new AA program once the merger is completed.

Does your location in India permit easy transits through CMB? Half the status earnings for UL needs to be on UL, but otherwise OW Sapphire would seem to be quite easily earned. Can't speak for upgrades or award availability. But Ul does code share with MH to Australia.

Happy wandering

Fred
No I can't guarantee it just yet. Not even 1 a year - it's on a year to year basis. I'd probably stick with Qatar or something then. Unless people don't recommend it?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold)
I have applied for a AB Gold status match based on my SkyTeam Gold and it was approved. Looking forward flying more OneWorld as I will be more flying within Asia this comes handy.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum Eurobonus -Silver
Should I switch?

Hi
Right now I´m trying to decide if I should switch from AA because I´m not sure if I can flight 4 segments in AA this year
Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
Reply: Upgrades on travel and good offers in redemption
Reply:25000-50000
Reply:cheapest
Reply:travel for pleasure
Reply:Transatlantic, interEurope
Reply:PAR
AA, no status right now, 80k

Reply: AA, Iberia Lan

I´m happy with AA, but this year I don´t think I´m going to travel with them. I have these flights already booked

Iberia: ORY-MAD-ORY
Lan: MAD-SCL-IPC-SCL-LIM-MAD
Qatar: CDG-DOH-CPT-DOH-CDG

And also I have to add a flight from Paris to Mexico.
I don´t know if with these flights I can reach gold, but I would hate to waste it because I didn´t flight in AA.
Any suggestion?
Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:25 pm

Thanks in advance for the help!

I can't wait to see what you all think. I am leaning towards flying Cathay Pacific but don't know which one world account to put the miles into (CX, AA or other). I do plan on getting a Chase Saphire CC as well (and possibly AA cc too if AA is the dump site) I plan on over $60k in purchases a year. I wish I could fly Virgin Atlantic due to the wide seats in premium economy but they only fly to Hong Kong so that's out.

Questions
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: I am looking for comfort first i.e. lounge access, shorter lines. It is really important to move up the tiers as fast as I can. Second EASY miles redemption for free airfare all over the world for me and my family.
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: I would say over 150k miles per year and 50 flights.
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:All premium economy.
Reply:All work travel. I have free reign over what airlines but only premium economy.
Reply:Transpacific and inter asia
Reply:SFO
Reply:Nothing. Starting from zero so speed is important moving up.
Reply:Virgin
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum Eurobonus -Silver
Hello

Anyone that can give us a hand with the last questions?

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Hi all, I'm *A Gold (TK Miles & Smiles Elite) and can easily re-qualify with my short haul travel (mainly from BRU to other European cities). For my long-haul I'd like to have more choice and my customers often require me to choose the cheapest reasonable option, hence I would like to add oneworld to the mix.

I would like to leverage my *A status to status match to a similar level on a oneworld carrier.
Airberlin will likely match your status outright. You should get Gold (oneworld sapphire), which actually has pretty nice benefits.
You can do that online (German only): http://www.airberlin.com/site/landin...ode=TEV4&cat=2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.