Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Stewie Mac

If you fly more than once a year (ie less than every 12 months) buy your tickets in South Africa and fly y+. The price difference will be "useful".

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 7, 2015, 7:19 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Stewie Mac

If you fly more than once a year (ie less than every 12 months) buy your tickets in South Africa and fly y+. The price difference will be "useful".

Happy wandering

Fred
Fred

Understood - I did know that but since I never know my return dates, figured that I couldn't use it (ie that tickets were non-flexible).

But just checked now and see that they are changeable for ZAR1300.... which makes this v interesting. Thanks
Old May 13, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi guys
Looking for advice as Ba changing the collection terms of Avios

For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: lounge access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: Expecting to fly 35k-55k

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Economy sometimes economy plus

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Travel for pleasure (and courier)

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply: mostly European, with the occasional US trip, and Asian trip. But can hit the U.S. To do a mileage run

(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: LHR

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: BA Silver

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: British airways.

Thanks in advance
Old May 13, 2015, 10:03 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Morning all,

I am currently a BA silver (OW Sapphire) but with the recent changes (cheapest econ get 25% tier points) I'll struggle to maintain that, even though my normal route is LHR-JNB (with only 40 TPs per return, I'd need 15 trips = 172k BIS miles).

I probably fly around 80k BIS miles in OW each year, but that is almost all BA - so now I'm looking for an alternate OW FFP to keep status.... but one that doesn't have any 'own metal' requirement. AA would be obvious but I have no need to go to the US for work, and no inclination to MR there for fun/status - I want to be home with the kids!

Are there any OW FFPs which don't have an 'own metal' requirement?

thanks
Have you looked into AY? There's no mention about "own metal," requirements.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by travel_mav
In short, currently deciding if I should try to keep my CX MPC Silver alive by crediting to that or if I should build up to Gold (and possibly above) through AA's FFP. I know most advocate for AA being US-based, but the reduced earnings on CX saver fares have me leaning towards MPC. Any help is greatly appreciated!

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Upgrades & award redemption rates. I have PP Select & AA club access (myself +2) when flying AA/US through the Citi Prestige

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: <25K historically, but plan to do 25-50K moving forward. Paid Y unless booking award travel.

(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Economy/cheapest fares.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Leisure

(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: TransPac & TransAtlantic

(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: JFK/LGA/EWR

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: CX MPC SL (OW Ruby) through a 1 year offer, debating whether or not to credit it here to maintain status, or switch to AA or JL. Will soon have ~150K banked in AA FFP

Reply: No preference. I've done KE/DL (ST) in the past for TransPac

(9) Do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
Reply: Yes, mostly from US cards to earn transferable AmEx MR/Chase UR/Citi TYP/AA Miles, and use shopping portals for online purchases. I am learning towards AA/BA/CX since I have cards that earn or transfer to all of these FFP. If I did opt for JL FFP, might pick up an SPG card so I have something to top up that account with.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:07 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by travel_mav
Anyone?
With an increased activity level and based in NYC, I think it's hard not to suggest going with AA. Yes, you don't get much credit flying CX discount fares, but you could fly on AA metal to HKG and minimize the CX "losses" to any intra-Asia flights.

But by comparison you have so many domestic and TATL options that it might be possible to get to, and maintain, AA Platinum (OW Sapphire) through ordinary travel, maybe with the odd mileage run thrown in (easy from NYC). Plat would get you a 100% mileage bonus, lounge access on international itineraries, easier domestic upgrades, and many more perks than AA Gold/OW Ruby earns.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:14 am

Advice on FF program for SEA-LHR

I am starting a job that will require 4-6 trips per yr SEA-LHR as well as 1 SEA-SYD.

I am Australian so would like to be able to use miles for QF upgrades when traveling with the family (would also like op-up SEA-LHR when possible).

So trying to decide between BA or AA for my ff program. I could get oneworld sapphire status on BA with my itinerary but am curious whether AA is a better option. Also, do either have an advantage in redemption for QF upgrades.

(1) home airport - SEA
(2) miles flown each year & in what class? - 50K in Y
(3) types of fares bought - economy or flex economy
(4) choice of airlines/cabins. work and/or pleasure? - work - BA, AA, QF
(5) routes flown most often - SEA-LHR (4-6 times per year), SEA-SYD (1 per yr)
(6) current FFP status - none
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? - lounge access, priority services, good redemption rates. (in that order)
(8) Preferred Airlines - QF, BA, AA
Old May 15, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muley555
I am Australian so would like to be able to use miles for QF upgrades when travelling with the family (would also like op-up SEA-LHR when possible).

So trying to decide between BA or AA for my ff program. I could get oneworld sapphire status on BA with my itinerary but am curious whether AA is a better option. Also, do either have an advantage in redemption for QF upgrades.
<snip>
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? - lounge access, priority services, good redemption rates. (in that order)
(8) Preferred Airlines - QF, BA, AA
As a resident of USA I would go with AA.
Look at post 1 for links to the AA Plat challenge

AA status will not give you AA domestic lounge access.
Until recently Qantas Club (and QF gold?) would have given you AA domestic lounge access. But the rules have changed.
So you need top tier BA or QF status for AA domestic lounge access.

A full AA award can less miles than a QF upgrade. And then you still must pay QF a **** load of cash Post 330

As you probably know you can only upgrade QF flight numbers on QF aircraft with QF points. But it is a lottery, with poor odds. No cross airline upgrades with miles/avios
Old May 15, 2015, 2:27 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by gemini573
You are right, AY has no own metal requirement.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:41 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Morning all,

I am currently a BA silver (OW Sapphire) but with the recent changes (cheapest econ get 25% tier points) I'll struggle to maintain that, even though my normal route is LHR-JNB (with only 40 TPs per return, I'd need 15 trips = 172k BIS miles).

I probably fly around 80k BIS miles in OW each year, but that is almost all BA - so now I'm looking for an alternate OW FFP to keep status.... but one that doesn't have any 'own metal' requirement. AA would be obvious but I have no need to go to the US for work, and no inclination to MR there for fun/status - I want to be home with the kids!

Are there any OW FFPs which don't have an 'own metal' requirement?

thanks
Originally Posted by gemini573
Originally Posted by SPBanker
You are right, AY has no own metal requirement.
Thanks guys, good spot on AY. Sadly, they also only give 25% tier points on cheapo BA economy, and would therefore need 20 LHR-JNB returns to get OWS (= 224k BIS miles )
Old May 15, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
With an increased activity level and based in NYC, I think it's hard not to suggest going with AA. Yes, you don't get much credit flying CX discount fares, but you could fly on AA metal to HKG and minimize the CX "losses" to any intra-Asia flights.

But by comparison you have so many domestic and TATL options that it might be possible to get to, and maintain, AA Platinum (OW Sapphire) through ordinary travel, maybe with the odd mileage run thrown in (easy from NYC). Plat would get you a 100% mileage bonus, lounge access on international itineraries, easier domestic upgrades, and many more perks than AA Gold/OW Ruby earns.
Thanks Gardyloo! I am leaning towards this option, and it looks like CX PE/Y+ are a "sweet spot" when crediting to AA. The AA mileage bonuses for those with status will be welcomed, as MPC only bonuses fare classes.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Hello everyone,

my girlfriend and I are currently A* Gold with A3 (Aegean) and have been Silver with LH a couple of years.
We are, with only a few exceptions, only leisure flyers - but this with a couple of flights a year. And since the flight itself counts as a holiday for us, we would like to have a relaxing and recreative flight whenever possible.
Due to a mechanical problem some weeks ago, we have been rebooked to BA (DUS -> LHR -> ABZ) and this got us thinking about joining another Frequent Flyer Programm, since flights with Germanwings are not credited to A3 and all LH flights that are not from or to Frankfurt or Munich are shifted to A3.

priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, free lounge access

20000-30000, almost only in Europe, one or two flights to North America or Asia per year

Mostly in Eco, if a long flight is involved discounted Business or premium eco

Work only one or two inter-european flights

Inter-European (DUS/CGN -> ABZ/EDI/GLA two or three times a year)

CGN/DUS/BRU/AMS/FRA (every airport is within a 2 hour train ride)

200k miles in LH Miles and More / no status
25k miles in A3 Miles and Bonus / A* Gold until 12/2015

LH, OS, LX, BA, 4U (only when nothing else is available)

Addition:
- We are planning two trips this year: One flight to Portland, Seattle and Vancouver and another to Las Vegas
- We are planning at least one trip to Thailand and Bhutan next year / maybe another flight to Seoul
- My current prefrence is a Statusmatch with Air Berlin and adding the planned flights (or at least one of them) to expend the status with oneworld.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old May 26, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by Askartus
- My current prefrence is a Statusmatch with Air Berlin and adding the planned flights (or at least one of them) to expend the status with oneworld.
That is exactly what I would have suggested you do. You'll likely get your status matched to AB Gold, which comes with a nice set of benefits.
Alternatively, and only when you are sure to travel to the US at least once per year to satisfy their minimum segments on AA metal requirement, you could also go with AA - AAdvantage currently is the most generous program out there fitting your travel pattern.

However, long-term, re-qualification for OW Sapphire will not be possible with only one or two longhaul trips a year, the more so when that trip isn't flown in a premium cabin.
Mid-tier oneworld sapphire status (which comes with lounge access..) usually requires the equivalent of 50,000 miles of annual BIS flying. Sadly, oneworld does not have an equivalent to A3s program among its members.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: QF,VA
Hi all,

I have been a QFF member for many many years - ranging from nothing to silver to gold and back to nothing. I no longer live in Australia, but will stay QFF for various reasons, but due to lack of QF flights, I'll probably never get status again. Wondering which programme I should join now for most of my crediting...

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: lounge access, upgrades, baggage (in that order)
Reply: <25000, <25 flights
Reply: Economy (for business), cheapest (for pleasure)
Reply: Have very little influence.
Reply: TLV-USA
Reply: TLV
Reply: Nothing of worth (points in QFF and OZ - but nothing more)
Reply: None in particular

Thanks in advance, guys & gals!
Old May 28, 2015, 11:38 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by BigKevOz
Hi all,

I have been a QFF member for many many years - ranging from nothing to silver to gold and back to nothing. I no longer live in Australia, but will stay QFF for various reasons, but due to lack of QF flights, I'll probably never get status again. Wondering which programme I should join now for most of my crediting...

Reply: lounge access, upgrades, baggage (in that order)
Reply: <25000, <25 flights
Reply: Economy (for business), cheapest (for pleasure)
Reply: Have very little influence.
Reply: TLV-USA
Reply: TLV
Reply: Nothing of worth (points in QFF and OZ - but nothing more)
Reply: None in particular

Thanks in advance, guys & gals!
I'd probably go with AA, now that AA has nonstop service to the USA (TLV-PHL, a US Airways route.) Unfortunately AA dropped its partnership with El Al, but you can still earn miles on other Oneworld carriers that serve TLV such as BA, Iberia, Air Berlin and Finnair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.