Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:31 pm

BA or Virgin?

Hello
I'm looking for some advice on which airline FF to use for my upcoming 12 months of travel (and onwards). I'd prefer to stick with OW but the BA end of year is extremely annoying compared to Virgin's rolling year.

Here's my questionnaire with some additional relevant information below, thank you in advance!

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
Upgrades and Lounge access

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
50000+, approx 14 long haul, 25 short haul

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
Business long haul, economy short haul

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Work, i can generally choose

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
London to USA but also fairly frequent to Australia plus European domestic

6. What is your home airport?
LHR

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
BA - Silver, 280k Avios, Year ends in April
Virgin, no status, 150k miles
Qantas, no status, no miles.

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
Cathay Pacific, Qatar, Singapore

Additional info:

My approximate schedule is:

November Various European short haul
January London to Australia return and several domestic.
March London to Dallas return.
April London to Lax return
May Various European short haul
June London to NYC return and various US domestic
July Various European short haul
September London to Toronto return
October Various European short haul
December London to Australia and various domestic.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Hi

Deleted previous txt. Far too verbose.

Id consider getting *A gold for European lounge access and T2 usage at LHR.

Looks like BAEC Gold is also well within reach

Rgds OF

Last edited by OldFruity; Sep 11, 2015 at 4:51 am Reason: still cant read without glasses
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:17 am

Thanks for the response OF.

Unfortunately based on my schedule it is one or the other.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:54 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by kurtangle
My approximate schedule is:

November Various European short haul
January London to Australia return and several domestic.
March London to Dallas return.
April London to Lax return
May Various European short haul
June London to NYC return and various US domestic
July Various European short haul
September London to Toronto return
October Various European short haul
December London to Australia and various domestic.
Based on this, and assuming business class on the long-hauls per your description, you could easily make BA Gold, or probably AA Executive Platinum. With AA EXP you'd earn 8 one-way systemwide upgrades (on AA metal) and while I haven't gone through the numbers, I suspect you'd end up with more spendable AAdvantage miles than you would Avios, and in any event IMO the AA program is more generous on redemptions than the revamped BAEC comparables.

It might behoove you to do a side-by-side comparo, using BA tier points and AA elite qualifying points (1.5 per flown mile in PE or higher) as the metrics - you need 100K elite qualifying points or elite qualifying miles for EXP, i.e. 66.6K butt-in-seat miles in PE, J or F. AA uses a calendar year for its qualifications, with the status expiring at the end of February the following year. (In other words, qualify during calendar 2016 and the status expires 1 March 2018.)
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Based on this, and assuming business class on the long-hauls per your description, you could easily make BA Gold, or probably AA Executive Platinum. With AA EXP you'd earn 8 one-way systemwide upgrades (on AA metal) and while I haven't gone through the numbers, I suspect you'd end up with more spendable AAdvantage miles than you would Avios, and in any event IMO the AA program is more generous on redemptions than the revamped BAEC comparables.

It might behoove you to do a side-by-side comparo, using BA tier points and AA elite qualifying points (1.5 per flown mile in PE or higher) as the metrics - you need 100K elite qualifying points or elite qualifying miles for EXP, i.e. 66.6K butt-in-seat miles in PE, J or F. AA uses a calendar year for its qualifications, with the status expiring at the end of February the following year. (In other words, qualify during calendar 2016 and the status expires 1 March 2018.)
Thanks for the response.

The AA option sounds interesting, i shall investigate that.

The problem with BAEC is my year end is mid April so realistically i wouldn't be looking at Gold till January 2017. And it's frustrating to see 5 months of good travel go to waste (personally i find Avios to be pretty much worthless as i can never spend them).
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:11 am

Harking back to previous question I raised in this threat, related to the current question:
If both BAEC Gold/Emerald and AA Plat/ EXP are within reach, but AA Plat/ExPlat requires co-pay for the status match (about 200$ IIRC from what Gardyloo posted) would that still be a worthwhile target? I seem to think it would be, given the value of SWU. What are the key differences, other than Avios / AAdvantage miles, and the SWUs?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:07 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by TlvLove
Harking back to previous question I raised in this threat, related to the current question:
If both BAEC Gold/Emerald and AA Plat/ EXP are within reach, but AA Plat/ExPlat requires co-pay for the status match (about 200$ IIRC from what Gardyloo posted) would that still be a worthwhile target? I seem to think it would be, given the value of SWU. What are the key differences, other than Avios / AAdvantage miles, and the SWUs?
Recently AA has made some changes in the challenge system worth noting; see these threads -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...gram-come.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-targeted.html

In terms of advantages of one over the other, a couple of things come to mind -

AA EXP doesn't automatically get access to AA lounges on North American itineraries while BA Gold has access to BA (and other Oneworld) lounges on any itinerary.

AA EXPs get unlimited (space available) upgrades on North American flights; BA Golds don't receive any automatic upgrades.

I can't speak to BA Gold, but the dedicated AA EXP desk people are miracle workers in cases of IRROPs or things going sideways. They're the best customer service people I've encountered anywhere, by an order of magnitude.

But the SWUs and - to me - better redemption characteristics of the AA program - cheaper mileage requirements for most flights, more partners - are the main advantage.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Lounge access and more than one luggage when checking in

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Less than 30000

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Cheapest and or Business on AY

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
For pleasure only

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Majority N.America and some to Asia

(6) What is your home airport?
YYZ

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

None

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
None were Oneworld. But will be booking AY in Business Class from YYZ to SIN
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
CX has also made substantial changes shifting to a Zonal based points system from 15 Apr 2016
(quite similar in design to QF's SC system - at least before the SimplerFairer changes)..

Reduced points earn on all non-CX flights as well

Thread on CX board for discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...pr-2016-a.html
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:44 am

May I know which airline in the Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program gives the longest validity at each tier?
Thank you.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:46 pm

Hi all,

I need some advises on OW FFP. I already have an asiamiles account for few years. now downgraded back to Green level. Wonder if there is any best FFPs and credit cards to earn points and miles for free/upgrades to Biz or even first class flights

As many things changes in the Macro Polo Club next year in Apr... really hard to think of strategies to get the best way to get the cheapest flight and get points/miles...

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Free - discounted lounge access, upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Unfortunately <25000 miles and sometimes around 32000 miles. fly once/twice a year from US to Asia

Economy, the cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Just for pleasure; I can usually choose the airline CX, but not the class of service.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Mostly to Asia from USA and CX Econs

(6) What is your home airport?
JFK

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

lowest level in OW or Macro Polo (Asiamiles) as I used up my points last year. basically no points in FFP now

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
CX and my most common airline is CX
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
I will be helping my relatives to ask for advice in this case. I believed under new MPC structure, he cant even qualify for CX Gold. He looks forward to keep OWE for first class lounge accesses.

1) What is your home airport?
HKG
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
62k miles - 70k miles

L or V Class

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Mostly for work

(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
HKG<->NGB for 45-50 times a year.

(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present?
CX DM

(7) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Lounges and priority service line.

(8) Preferred Airlines
KA/CX

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AmD950
I will be helping my relatives to ask for advice in this case. I believed under new MPC structure, he cant even qualify for CX Gold. He looks forward to keep OWE for first class lounge accesses.
Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hoose-why.html
Will be hard to impossible to keep OWE. That is what these (CX & BA) changes are about. Less miles & benefits to freq flyers
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:51 am

Hello

I'm looking for your advice on which airline FF I should choose.

Thanks in advance!

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
good adward chart

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 30000 miles, most on Star Alliance right now but I would like to join OW

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
short hoa eco, Long haul business

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes I'm as I travel for pleasure.

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
inter european, Europe to arabia and Transatlantic to the Westcoast or Hawaii

6. What is your home airport?
ZRH

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
Star Allaince Miles and More from Lufthansa, no Status about 60'000 miles

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
QR, SQ, AA, LX
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Plat
Help needed deciding on best FFP

I'm a long time UA/*A member (>300K lifetime miles), currently UA gold but will be Platinum by the end of the year. I'm not finding the program that valuable anymore and am trying to decide if I should move to another carrier. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
IAD for now, will change to DEN or AUS

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
>50k

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (First, Business, Economy etc.)
Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Work and pleasure, mostly work. I can choose the airline, but I work for NGO and have spending restrictions.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Transatlantic, North Africa/Middle East (I spend a lot of time connecting in FRA)

(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
UA Gold (will be platinum in next month or so), EK Gold (as Plat member companion), SPG Platinum

(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
UPGRADES, lounge access

(8) Preferred Airlines
Up in the air...UA right now, maybe QA or EK? Or is AA better with base in the US?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.