Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by bhomburg
AAdvantage has no minimum age requirement for status purposes.
she wouldnt make exec plat, so little point.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SN, KL, IHG, HH, BW, CC
Hello everyone, Currently AA platinum. Considering joining BA's program because of the changes to AA next month. Based in Belgium, but hate the M&M program for what they charge for award tickets. I use BA and IB for European flights so I'm hesitating.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Lounge access, seat selection, upgrades

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
About 50k miles, mostly in economy class, mostly transatlantic. Some European trips, mostly on BA and IB.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Both. For work, business tickets are allowed only once or twice a year, depending on price.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
British Airways + American, Lufthansa + United on Transatlantic routes. BA and IB on European routes.

(6) What is your home airport?
BRU (DUS, AMS)

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
AA Platinum

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
BA, IB, LH, SN

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

KipKe Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by KipKe
Hello everyone, Currently AA platinum. Considering joining BA's program because of the changes to AA next month. Based in Belgium, but hate the M&M program for what they charge for award tickets. I use BA and IB for European flights so I'm hesitating.
In post 3 there several AA vs BA and AA vs xx threads started by potential AA refugees
When BA recently announced change there were BA vs xx threads by potential BA refugees.

Like majority of ffp's are doing, benefits are reducing and costs are going up.
The halcyon days of frequent flyer programs a decade ago are gone: just accept reality.

The grass in not always greener on the other side

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SN, KL, IHG, HH, BW, CC
Thanks for your answer. I will read the posts you referred to and stick with AA for the time being ;-)
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:08 am

Hi! I am very inexperienced in miles collection (especially with OW) and the forum has given me already a lot of insights! I still have a few questions, so please have a look below if you have time :-)

Miles redemption

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
25 to 40 flights a year

Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Mostly for pleasure, and I can always choose the airline (when traveling for work with capped budget)

I live in AMS and me and my gf have family in ITA and FRA, so those are the places I fly mostly to

AMS

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
I recently flew Finnair and banked the miles in my BA FFP.
My company's preferred partners for APAC is Cathay, and I could earn Silver tier in their FFP without the need of actual flights with them. However I do not plan on flying with Cathay anytime soon (I specifically don't have the need to travel to APAC for work).

KLM-AF, which is why I almost never use OW.

In March I will fly Qatar AMS-DOH-SGN-DOH-AMS, and I'm wondering where should I collect the miles I will earn? BA? Cathay? Another OW airway?

Additionally, when in VTN I will take between 3 and 5 internal flights. These will probably all be with JetStar, part of Qantas. Will I be able to earn miles with them?

Last question I promise: when I was in Finland I stayed at the Scandic Hotel, which could earn me miles with Finnair. However I don't have a Finnair FFP; is it possible to request these miles with BA (or any other OW)?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlexanderSupertramp89
Hi! I am very inexperienced in miles collection (especially with OW) and the forum has given me already a lot of insights! I still have a few questions, so please have a look below if you have time :-)
<snip>
I recently flew Finnair and banked the miles in my BA FFP.
My company's preferred partners for APAC is Cathay, and I could earn Silver tier in their FFP without the need of actual flights with them. However I do not plan on flying with Cathay anytime soon (I specifically don't have the need to travel to APAC for work).

KLM-AF, which is why I almost never use OW.

In March I will fly Qatar AMS-DOH-SGN-DOH-AMS, and I'm wondering where should I collect the miles I will earn? BA? Cathay? Another OW airway?

Additionally, when in VTN I will take between 3 and 5 internal flights. These will probably all be with Jetstar, part of Qantas. Will I be able to earn miles with them?
I would stay with BA ffp for all your OW flights.
CX ffp is good if you fly premium cabins. There is a recent BA vs CX ffp thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...switch-cx.html. 90% sure your need 4 flights with CX for status. BA, QF & AA have the same own airline flights rule for status.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You never get enough miles to be of use before they expires. FFP’s are for the long term.

In Australia you only earn QF points on JQ flights if you buy the add on bundle. JQ Vietnam seem the same. QF ffp is a poor ffp for non Au residents: BA & AA are better

Do you have a SkyTeam ffp? (KLM/AF)
AS has many OW partners including KLM/AF, CX, BA & QF. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ePlan-partners
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I would stay with BA ffp for all your OW flights.
CX ffp is good if you fly premium cabins. There is a recent BA vs CX ffp thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...switch-cx.html. 90% sure your need 4 flights with CX for status. BA, QF & AA have the same own airline flights rule for status.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You never get enough miles to be of use before they expires. FFP’s are for the long term.

In Australia you only earn QF points on JQ flights if you buy the add on bundle. JQ Vietnam seem the same. QF ffp is a poor ffp for non Au residents: BA & AA are better

Do you have a SkyTeam ffp? (KLM/AF)
AS has many OW partners including KLM/AF, CX, BA & QF. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ePlan-partners
Thank you for your reply!

With the bold line above you mean that to earn status on BA, I need to fly BA right?

I am Silver on KLM/AF and indeed I did not consider I could consolidate miles from OW and ST.

Should I then stick to 2 FFPs, one ST (KLM/AF) and one OW (BA), or should I look for something like AS (btw I saw that Qatar is not included in its partners, so I wouldn't know where to redeem the miles of my next flight)? If I decided to change to, let's say, AS, would I be able to transfer my miles balance from BA and KLM?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With the bold line above you mean that to earn status on BA, I need to fly BA right?
Yes. 2 flights of the first status level & 4 for the next 2 levels (2 more)

Should I then stick to 2 FFPs, one ST (KLM/AF) and one OW (BA), or should I look for something like AS (btw I saw that Qatar is not included in its partners, so I wouldn't know where to redeem the miles of my next flight)? If I decided to change to, let's say, AS, would I be able to transfer my miles balance from BA and KLM?
Effectively you cannot move ff miles from one ffp to anther ffp.
To get ff miles for the QF flight you need to be a member of a OW airline ffp or a QF partner.
I would stay with BA ffp for all your OW flights and KLM/AF for Skyteam flights

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 29, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by carlosoubina
Upgrades, Lounge access…

Europe-Argentina/Chile once per year - Iberia/LAN/TAM
Europe-Mexico once per year – AeroMexico/Lufthansa
Europe-NYC once peryear - AA

Iberia, Lufthansa, LAN/TAM
Within oneworld upgrades can generally only be done on the programs own metal - exception being some AA-BA/IB awards (but only from near full-fare classes eg. Y,B, W, J,C,D,R)
so its probably a tossup between those two.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Aeroplan, BAEC
Hi everyone! Newcomer to the forum here and would appreciate your kind advice! I'm currently a student but will be graduating and starting work this coming summer.

Questions
in order of priority: upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates, better award access, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, etc...

For now I'm still a student so I've been getting the cheapest tickets thus probably the lowest class. When I start working, I think I'll fly around 25000-50000 in a year (VERY rough estimate)

business for business trips, cheapest for personal (still a student! but will have to reconsider if getting 25-50% of miles is worth the savings)

On business trips it'll most likely be Cathay. On personal trips, I choose the best value for money (i.e. I'd pay 100-200 more for a better airline) and also seek out deals with budget airlines around Asia.

Uncertain as of now, though I see myself flying HKG-YYZ, HKG-SIN, HKG-PEK more frequently. Other ad-hoc personal travels can be anywhere in the world

It will be HKG when I start work, but other important airports are SIN and YYZ (Toronto)

I have around 20k miles in BA as my parents signed me up on that a long time ago. I have 105 points in Marco Polo/Airmiles as I got it through my office. I also have around 22k miles on Aeroplan. I'm all over the place, I know, that's why I need help...

Prefer Cathay, JAL, Singapore Airlines, ANA. Hate Air Canada and United but had to take these more frequently because I'm still a student for now!

Thanks in advance!!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: QRPC + BAEC + KL Flying Blue
- Upgrades to Business Class or higher
- Award and redemption rates
- Priority services
- (if possible lounge access)

I am still a student, so I am mostly flying economy class on European flight throughout the year. In the summer I often spend my time in East Asia (e.g. TYO, HKG)

The second lowest economy fare, which often gives me 50% of the normal miles. I wouldn't mind to pay a little bit more to gain more miles.

In the past, I often choose the cheapest, comfortable and reliable airline. It had been Emirates or CX for the past few years, but they are getting more expensive. So, I am going to travel with Qatar Airways this year to Asia. On the other hand, I also fly British Airways often to London LGW/LHR. Just for pleasure!

AMS-LON, AMS-TYO, AMS-HKG

AMS or BRU

At the moment, not really a significant amount of miles on QR Privilege Club and BA Executive Club (Blue).

Preffered: CX, QR, BA, AY Common: BA

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

kevvnn Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by kevvnn
- Upgrades to Business Class or higher
- Award and redemption rates
- Priority services
- (if possible lounge access)
<snip>
At the moment, not really a significant amount of miles on QR Privilege Club and BA Executive Club (Blue).

Preffered: CX, QR, BA, AY Common: BA
With cheap ecomony fares and no status the chances of getting upgrade are nil to extremely low. Low to mid ranage fares are often not eligible for upgrades.
With non USA based airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy: upgrades are not given out like with USA based airlines.
Upgrades are usually only available with ffp miles/points on the airline flights of your ffp. Upgrades, with ff miles, upgrade instruments or free due to status on non USA based airlines are not common.

With a few flights it makes no sense yo have multiple ffps' More so if all are Oneworld airlines. Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You never get enough miles to be of use before they expires. FFP’s are for the long term.

For most people BA would be a better ffp compared to QR for flying with low cost economy fares.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
--Upgrades, good award redemption, good award access, lounge access
Reply:
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)

80 flights, 200k miles, 179k points

Reply:
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Econ
Reply:
Yes
Reply:
tokyo to SFO, SYD, SIN, TPE, Lax, ATL, ICN (within OZ, US domestic)
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply:
Asia
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
HND or NRT
Reply:
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Exp American (moved to Tokyo last yr)
Reply:
Qantas to SYD and AUS travel, JAL to Sin, TPE, ICN, AA or JAL to the US

Also looking at move to Star (but understand there is no star partner in Australia)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valuepac
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
--Upgrades, good award redemption, good award access, lounge access
<snip>
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: Exp American (moved to Tokyo last yr)

Qantas to SYD and AUS travel, JAL to Sin, TPE, ICN, AA or JAL to the US

Also looking at move to Star (but understand there is no star partner in Australia)
How long will you be living in Japan for?

Upgrades on non USA airlines operate very differently to upgrades on USA airlines. For upgrades with airlines based out of the USA always expect to fly in the class you buy.

I would stay with AA, but you need 4 AA marketed flights to keep status.

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit cards/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s)

The grass in not always greener on the other side

There is no domestic airline in Australia in the Star alliance (RIP Ansett 2001)
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Greetings, o combined wisdom of these great Flyertalk boards!

For a few years I sang praises of the Executive Club program with BA, till it begun to dawn with much sadness that it is not quite where I want to bank my miles earned via travels on One World carriers. Some reasons, the airlines are responsible for, others, based on my own changing needs. Hopefully, the following survey will help you help me find a new program. My instinct is that AA is best suited for me, but I am keen to hear what you all astute minds have to say.

Thanks!

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
Primarily Award Redemption in Premium cabins (Business mostly). On occasions when not flying Business, access to Priority Lines would be good too.

25000-50000

Business or Premium Economy for International. Economy domestic. Most of my travel is international.

I have freedom to choose. Work and pleasure both.

US-INDIA twice a year. US-Europe once or maybe twice. Domestic US occasionally

NYC (all airports)

BA Exec Club (Bronze/ OW Ruby)

A few years ago, I stopped chasing elite status, and buy based on price. But most often I find myself flying BA and LH. Contemplating Finnair and Malaysia for an upcoming trip. I prefer AA for domestic.

Another variable I wanted to point out was that I use SPG, Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards to top accounts that I need to redeem from.

Last edited by knit-in; Feb 19, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.