Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 18, 13, 4:58 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG ►NZ*E ►VA WP ►HHD ►IHG G
Smartgate - US Global Entry Program

Good news for those from the USA coming to Oz:

Global Entry and Nexus/Sentri Users Now Eligible for SmartGate in Australia

Quote:
... members of Global Entry or Nexus/Sentri are now automatically eligible to use Australia’s SmartGate automated border processing system when arriving in the country. No enrollment is required and travelers can bypass the passport/immigration lines and proceed to a SmartGate kiosk. ...
Smartgate is automatic entry rather than seeing an immigration officer.

Australian Customs - Smartgate

Smartgate - US Global Entry Program Trial

US Global Entry Trial brochure.
serfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 6:01 pm   #2

Programs: United
I received an email about this earlier as well, and it looks quite interesting.

However, wouldn't a foreigner (ie US citizen with a Global Entry card) need to get their passport stamped at some point?
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 7:39 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess not.

As an Oz PP holder I haven't had my passport stamped in NZ or Oz for several years.
Old Feb 18, 13, 9:47 pm   #4

Programs: QF Silver
Don't think you get passport stamps anymore -- I was just in Oz last December and wanted to use the SmartGate lines (US passport) but the kiosks were down so I had to use the conventional immigration lines. I was surprised not to get a stamp and asked if they would stamp my passport since I might apply for AU citizenship in a few years & would like the proof of time in country. They told me that everything was electronic & they didn't even have the stampers any more.
Zarf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 10:31 pm   #5

Programs: United
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarf4 View Post
They told me that everything was electronic & they didn't even have the stampers any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
As an Oz PP holder I haven't had my passport stamped in NZ or Oz for several years.
Wow! I figured that might be correct for specific areas like the EU, NZ/AU or US/CA but the fact that they even got rid of the stamps is really surprising to me.
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 10:59 pm   #6
tt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarf4 View Post
I was surprised not to get a stamp and asked if they would stamp my passport since I might apply for AU citizenship in a few years & would like the proof of time in country. They told me that everything was electronic & they didn't even have the stampers any more.
They can produce a list of every time you've entered and left the country (including the exact time your passport was swiped) at the press of a button... When you apply for citizenship, they'll run the list of every time you've entered and left and check you've been here for the requisite amount of time. The immigration website has a calculator that you can use to determine if you meet the requirements -- but that of course is not much help these days if you don't have all those stamps in your passport so you can remember when you entered and left!!
tt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 13, 11:44 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do have the stamps still, but not one for every counter.
Old Feb 25, 13, 6:42 pm   #8
TalkBoard Member, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Apparently GE doesn't exempt USA citizens from applying for an ETA (or visa).
Old Feb 27, 13, 8:11 pm   #9

Programs: A3*G, HH Gold, Plenty of Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Apparently GE doesn't exempt USA citizens from applying for an ETA (or visa).
Still need a visa (an ETA is technically a visa), you just get access to the automated processing through SmartGate which is normally faster than the standard queues.
*A Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 13, 4:12 am   #10

First time using the Gate as US GE. Had to purchase a $20 ETA at US departure. Arrived at MEL. There are many kiosks on the way to immigration. Stopped at one, scanned my US passport, answered 3 questions no and received a ticket. Took the ticket to the Smartgate lane. There was no line for regular immigration but wanted to see what would happen. Someone directing traffic walked me over to the Gate to make sure it would work. Inserted ticket, looked at monitor (she told me to remove glasses which made it difficult for me to see monitor and impossible to follow any directions). Got my ticket back without doing anything other than inserting ticket and looking at monitor and was on my way about as fast as the first person to reach regular immigration sans queue. Very cool.
#10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 13, 2:23 pm   #11

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; AC SE; Virgin Aust Gold; Qatar Priv, SPG, Accor Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by #10 View Post
First time using the Gate as US GE. Had to purchase a $20 ETA at US departure. Arrived at MEL. There are many kiosks on the way to immigration. Stopped at one, scanned my US passport, answered 3 questions no and received a ticket. Took the ticket to the Smartgate lane. There was no line for regular immigration but wanted to see what would happen. Someone directing traffic walked me over to the Gate to make sure it would work. Inserted ticket, looked at monitor (she told me to remove glasses which made it difficult for me to see monitor and impossible to follow any directions). Got my ticket back without doing anything other than inserting ticket and looking at monitor and was on my way about as fast as the first person to reach regular immigration sans queue. Very cool.
Great! Now can you write to your Congressman/woman, please, and ask Uncle Sam to give Aussies receprocity when arriving in US
Old Mar 23, 13, 4:35 pm   #12

Programs: QFF, Flying Blue, Enrich
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooFlyer View Post
Great! Now can you write to your Congressman/woman, please, and ask Uncle Sam to give Aussies receprocity when arriving in US
haha, like that's ever going to happen.
BadgerBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 13, 9:00 am   #13

Programs: Qantas, BA, KLM, SAS, M&M
Quote:
please, and ask Uncle Sam to give Aussies receprocity when arriving in US
Well, if they could just get the Immi officials at LAX to SMILE now and then, it would be a result.
mandolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 13, 6:16 am   #14

I always read about Australia accepting Global Entry, but never about New Zealand. When I was in NZ in December, I noticed that they also allowed Global Entry to use the express lanes. Granted, the lines in NZ were not nearly as bad as in AU, but it is still nice to have. The problem we had in AU is that my BF still has the old passport (non-biometric), so we were not able to use the Smartgate in AU. Fortunately, this was not an issue in NZ, since we still went through an customs agent, just no line to wait in. It seemed like they just started to accept Global Entry, since he was not really familiar with it, but they were aware of it.
downinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 13, 8:53 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
I always read about Australia accepting Global Entry, but never about New Zealand. When I was in NZ in December, I noticed that they also allowed Global Entry to use the express lanes. Granted, the lines in NZ were not nearly as bad as in AU, but it is still nice to have. The problem we had in AU is that my BF still has the old passport (non-biometric), so we were not able to use the Smartgate in AU. Fortunately, this was not an issue in NZ, since we still went through an customs agent, just no line to wait in. It seemed like they just started to accept Global Entry, since he was not really familiar with it, but they were aware of it.
True, here it is: http://www.globalentry.gov/newzealand.html
nas6034 is offline   Reply With Quote