Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:38 pm

Corvette?

Hi, I am heading out to LAX on Tuesday, July 7, arriving at 9pm. I have reserved an intermediate and am an Executive member (but have never rented at LAX before).

I am going to be traveling with my 18-yr-old son who would LOVE a snazzy sportscar even though he won't be allowed to drive. Does anyone know what the upcharge would be for a Corvette or Maserati if one is available? Are there any ways to affect the upcharge (i.e., reserve higher class, brandish Exec card ?

Alternately, what do you recommend as a muscle car from the ES?

Thanks for your ideas!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:08 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Welcome to FT.

I'd expect $50-150/day depending on availability and your negotiating skills for either of those.

Wouldn't expect much in the way of a "muscle" car as National only stocks the V6 fleet versions of most cars in that class (namely, Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro, and Dodge Challenger). I personally prefer the Mustang for its driving dynamics but everyone has their own favorite. You might get lucky and find a Ford Mustang with the Ecoboost turbocharged motor, but if it's the American V8 experience you're after I'd suggest booking the Hertz Adrenaline collection.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:25 pm

Corvette

Thanks! Will it matter what my cost or category is on the car I have reserved when trying to upgrade to a Corvette/Maserati? Or just the inventory?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nhnycgirl
Hi, I am heading out to LAX on Tuesday, July 7, arriving at 9pm. I have reserved an intermediate and am an Executive member (but have never rented at LAX before).

I am going to be traveling with my 18-yr-old son who would LOVE a snazzy sportscar even though he won't be allowed to drive. Does anyone know what the upcharge would be for a Corvette or Maserati if one is available? Are there any ways to affect the upcharge (i.e., reserve higher class, brandish Exec card ?

Alternately, what do you recommend as a muscle car from the ES?

Thanks for your ideas!
I know $100 is the upcharge for Corvette and Maserati Ghibli from EA/ES reservation. I believe they are pretty firm with this price at LAX. So many travelers come through here that I doubt they have a problem renting it out. I don't think the upcharge is affected by reservation but you can always book 2 reservations and cancel one when you get there (EA/ES and Luxury).

I have driven Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang. My preference is also 2015 Mustang. dwbf11 is correct that most vehicles are V6 in the EA/ES. I have seen a EcoBoost or Mustang GT (V8) available for upcharge recently (not sure as they both have the same wheels). I have seen Mustang GT before here (last year).
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:04 am

Thanks, Wooward! That is really helpful. If we can't get a Corvette/Maserati, I 'll be happy with a Mustang. Glad to hear you've enjoyed it. Great idea on doubling up the reservations too.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:26 pm

Late Night LAX

Greetings!

First post here - Thanks to all of you who have posted previously, I have learned a lot which has helped me become a somewhat savvy traveler already!

Anyway- quick question. Heading out to LAX mid-week (Wednesday) this July. Will not be landing until around midnight. What is the executive aisle selection like at this hour? We are going to be traveling all over CA from San Diego to San Fran and would LOVE to have a sweet ride for the trip! There will be 4 of us.

Additionally, has anyone tried to use their executive aisle access to specifically request a car on arrival? Any convertibles or large SUVs? A convertible for the trek up the PCH would be awesome in my opinion.

Many Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Wishful Traveler
Greetings!

First post here - Thanks to all of you who have posted previously, I have learned a lot which has helped me become a somewhat savvy traveler already!

Anyway- quick question. Heading out to LAX mid-week (Wednesday) this July. Will not be landing until around midnight. What is the executive aisle selection like at this hour? We are going to be traveling all over CA from San Diego to San Fran and would LOVE to have a sweet ride for the trip! There will be 4 of us.

Additionally, has anyone tried to use their executive aisle access to specifically request a car on arrival? Any convertibles or large SUVs? A convertible for the trek up the PCH would be awesome in my opinion.

Many Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I was at LAX last week and got a brand new (2 miles) 2015 Mustang Convertible. It seems they just received a whole bunch of them when I was there. I spotted maybe 50 Mustang Convertibles all lined up. The large majority are V-6 versions with cloth and a normal radio, no XM.

As an EE, National in general in my experience has been very generous about giving me anything I ask for without a big fuss. I've gotten the following from the EA:

BMW Z4
Tahoe LTZ loaded (1000) miles
Cadillac STX crossover ($10 a day upcharge) 800 miles
Nissan 370Z $25 per day up charge
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with sunroof and Sat Nav 800 miles
Chrysler 300C 50 miles on it

I have found asking nicely has simply gotten me what I wanted.

As for a PCH run, keep in mind the convertibles have small trunks, especially the Camaro with the top down. As well, it is a windy road with many hairpin turns. I'd rather the STX or Grand Cherokee than a Suburban, Navigator or Tahoe.

A convertible is suitable for 2 people, not 4. I'd definitely take the 2015 Mustang over a Camaro for the better ride, quieter when top up and performance. The V-6 is actually very peppy (300 hp).

I've not done a late arrival, so I cannot comment there, but just take a look around for something which looks interesting and ask.

PCH is a stunning drive. Give yourself time to enjoy
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:20 pm

Thanks PTown! Very helpful information.

Can anyone speak to the late night arrival?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:18 am

I picked up on Wednesday at 11am. There was not much to choose from.

On ES there were no SUVs, minivans or convertibles of any kind. There were at least 10 Challengers and a bunch of Chargers. A few Mustangs and two Toyota camrys were in the mix. The ES was only two rows deep with nothing parked behind.

I needed an SUV so I had to go to my back up standard SUV res. That section was full of Dodge Journeys (I'd rather rent a bike than that piece of crap again) and a couple of Santa Fe Sports. I did chat to the guy working that section and he said he hadn't seen a grand cherokee that morning. He did find me a new 2016 Kia Sorento. It's not a bad SUV. Underpowered but handles well and it's always nice to try out a brand new vehicle.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks PTown! Very helpful information.

Can anyone speak to the late night arrival?
Selection isn't predictable, beyond what's commonly found in National's nationally standardized classifications. In busy periods they may rent a couple of hundred cars an hour. If they're expecting many arrivals past midnight they may keep stocking the Aisle and waiting a few minutes might get you something more appealing.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:08 am

Thanks everyone! We fly out later this week. Worst case scenario, I will just have to nicely ask the representatives working the aisle when we land if they have any "nicer" cars available that they could bring around (assuming they are still pretty well staffed into the 1am hour)
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:49 am

What have you guys been been seeing in the LCAR fleet here lately? Hoping to avoid Volvo S60's, Audi A3's and 2.5 litre Malibu engined ATS's on an upcoming rental...

A nice luxury car like an XTS or a CTS would be wonderful.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:50 am

Thanks everyone! We fly out later this week. Worst case scenario, I will just have to nicely ask the representatives working the aisle when we land if they have any "nicer" cars available that they could bring around (assuming they are still pretty well staffed into the 1am hour)
They are usually pretty good with that - if they've got something else in the class you've booked upstairs or something they'll usually happily fetch it for you.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:30 am

LAX emerald aisle

Rented through National for the first time a week and a bit ago. Wanted a nice sporty or powerful car for highway driving as was driving from LA to SFO via Yosemite. Ended up choosing a black 2015 Challenger and wasn't disappointed - more than enough power, new 8 speed auto is silky, even got a few knowing nods from other muscle car drivers out on the road...

Signed up to EC just prior to leaving, really is a great service. There was a good selection of cars in EA - three Challengers, a couple of Camaros, Jettas, Passats, Fusions etc.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
* * * Newbie Alert * * *

Hi folks,

I just hit Emerald Executive a few days ago and have a few questions:

1. I often rent at LAX and normally pick from the Emerald Aisle. Now that I have Executive, do I just pick out any car in the Executive aisles?

2. Do I need to inform the lot staff before picking out a car from the Executive aisle?

I've seen them stock the regular Emerald aisle with a few Chargers and Challengers once or twice, but didn't want to chance it so I picked out the Camry Sport (not a bad car to be honest!)

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.