Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improved UA Explorer card offer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1P
Thank you all for the additional info.

When the OP+ rolls over to M+, and a person already has M+ at that time, assume you may be able to combine the credit limit?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
G'day all, a bit of a naive post here:
So I have my nice, free Visa CC from my local credit union... Nice thing is 24 days interest free on purchases so I have never paid interest.. but hand in hand is a poor rewards program..

Does anyone know how the interest free period goes on these cards? Is the main cost the $95pa (which, if I had a ~30K annual spend == 30K points, well worth $95)?

Easy to pay into the card (via a checking acct)??

(new-ish to the USA)
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by garykung
The closing of the account is unrelated to the bonus.

When M+ survives, OP+ will be definitely converted to M+ Explorer, sooner or later. And when you have M+ Explorer already, why do you need to keep another card that bear an annual fee (remember - only first year is waived) and do you no good at all?
My understanding is that you receive the lounge passes at the end of the membership year. So my original plan was to keep it until I get my lounge passes, then cancel and ask for the fee back, or at least for a pro-rated refund.
Now that there's the danger of the card being converted and losing the opportunity for the UA Explorer bonus, I think I'll try to get the UA Explorer card before the year ends.
Or do you think the lounge passes are not worth it? To a 1K/Plat they're probably worthless...
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
G'day all, a bit of a naive post here:
So I have my nice, free Visa CC from my local credit union... Nice thing is 24 days interest free on purchases so I have never paid interest.. but hand in hand is a poor rewards program..

Does anyone know how the interest free period goes on these cards? Is the main cost the $95pa (which, if I had a ~30K annual spend == 30K points, well worth $95)?

Easy to pay into the card (via a checking acct)??

(new-ish to the USA)
That sounds more like a charge card? With a "true" credit card, the interest free period is from the start of the billing cycle until the due date, which is typically 3-4 weeks after the statement closes. So you get 4-8 weeks without interest on your purchases.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Any possibility the offer in November could be better than the current elite offer? Or should I just take the elite offer while I still have the chance?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
I believe it is supposed to be the exact same offer. But again nothing is guaranteed.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
Sorry if I am asking too much, but is it possible for one of the moderators to summarize this thread. Not sure what's the verdict; my apologies as I did not read all the messages in the thread.

I have United Mileage Plus Preferred Visa Sig card. I got 20,000 miles bonus on this 4 years ago, and I still own the card. I want to know if I will be eligible to apply for this new card? Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Unknown
Any possibility the offer in November could be better than the current elite offer? Or should I just take the elite offer while I still have the chance?
Take the 50,000 miles and run. IMHO of course.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Take the 50,000 miles and run. IMHO of course.

+1 IMHO
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Daggett76
That sounds more like a charge card? With a "true" credit card, the interest free period is from the start of the billing cycle until the due date, which is typically 3-4 weeks after the statement closes. So you get 4-8 weeks without interest on your purchases.
Thanks muchly... Does anyone grab a card like this, use it for a year and then cancel once you have the miles?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Quick question, does using the Explorer card keep your UA miles from expiring, even if you don't fly?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Quick question, does using the Explorer card keep your UA miles from expiring, even if you don't fly?
Yes.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:25 am

Have a few questions:

1) Has anyone tried applying for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and this card at the same time? Were they both aprroved? I'm thinking about doing that.

2) Holding a one pass since paril with no other UA or CO cards, I should be eligible for the bonus if I sign up right?

Thx!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
1) Chase doesn't typically approve more than 1 card at a time especially not two personal cards. I doubt you will get both.

2) Yes, if you have never had a UA card before you will definitely get the signup bonus.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:35 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Does anyone grab a card like this, use it for a year and then cancel once you have the miles?

"Anyone??" Most of us, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.