Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
Lucky is the one getting the free flight to Amsterdam:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...top-amsterdam/
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guera
Lucky is the one getting the free flight to Amsterdam:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...top-amsterdam/
I wonder if they comped him the ridiculous departure tax too

Anyway, call me a cynic, I'm sure we can expect a very unbiased review...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by freeloader
I wonder if they comped him the ridiculous departure tax too

Anyway, call me a cynic, I'm sure we can expect a very unbiased review...
While I actually agree with the bias issue, you are still free to just not read it. Why don't you do that? (Serious question I am expecting answers from those who moan here - why do you read these blogs you "hate" so much?)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
While I actually agree with the bias issue, you are still free to just not read it. Why don't you do that? (Serious question I am expecting answers from those who moan here - why do you read these blogs you "hate" so much?)
Why did we watch Fox News on election day?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by fishdance
Entertainment
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:30 am

Touche ROFL!

Edit: Actually i remember switching to Fox on election night because I could not believe it was being called so early by CNN, and then Fox had conceded it too...!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
I probably won't. But I wrote that Bc it should really be highlighted. Ppl take his posts as the word of god sometimes, and I'm simply highlighting how ridiculous it is that someone thinks they can review a product like that objectively (which he claims his the point of his blog) when he's getting a $5k product for free.

AA (in bantuptcy) didn't give him that Bc they felt generous. They did it Bc they expect a positive review. Regardless of what lucky says, if they were at all worried about a negative review, he wouldnt have got the tix. So any bets on how he finds the product?

Product reviewers who take comps are shills... Plain and simple
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by freeloader

Product reviewers who take comps are shills... Plain and simple
But when you redeem a few credit card miles for a (almost) free AA seat and write a trip report on FT, you wouldn't expect someone who was paying $5,000 of their own cash for the same ticket to look at the product the same way either.

Ben does travel enough so that any comparisons he makes with other J seats are properly valid (and would be laughed at if he came to any 'odd' conclusions).
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:09 am

I agree it's hard to argue against a blogger taking stuff for free and then blogging about it. Though if you think that one is bad check out something like this: http://jdombstravels.com/paradise-fo...illas-maldives. I stumbled upon this researching some properties, and I subscribed out of curiosity. Every single post ends with "thanks to so-and-so for the free-whatever-whatever, our opinions are our own" with the forgotten bit of "and always singing the praises of whatever-whatever so that if you are the purveyor of another whatever-whatever you can be sure you can give it to us for free and we will write it up in glowing terms"

If people follow it like sheep, well more fool them.

In lucky's case I am sure it will be a good review because hey, it actually looks a pretty good product, and I am sure AA know that. Taking the money makes it a lot harder to be critical but I doubt he'd bury it if were an awful AA crew on an old lie-flat
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I agree — there is nothing wrong with that.

The spirit of giving between members of FlyerTalk is very much alive and well today. You can still get great advice for free. All you have to do is ask.

The difference is that the membership of FlyerTalk has experienced exponential growth since those “good old days.” More people are interested in finding out how to earn and redeem miles and points — and thus, more people are capitalizing on that interest by devoting themselves full-time to what they enjoy doing: traveling, writing and dispensing that advice.

However, those people — such as “bloggers” — do need to earn a living. It is one thing to pop onto FlyerTalk for a few minutes to assist a fellow member with no strings attached; but it is another thing to devote to something full time and not expect to be compensated in some manner.

I would suspect that back in the “good old days”, it would have been far more difficult to eke out a career devoted to miles and points — simply because there were far fewer people interested in it. Also, frequent travel loyalty programs have become far more complex — and that is not even including credit cards. People arguably need assistance more than ever.

Let us not confuse the spirit of FlyerTalk with a growing industry which has a potential customer base with a demand being fulfilled by those who choose to devote themselves to supply it full-time — and let us not confuse those who want to earn an honest living “blogging” in the miles and points industry with those who may seem to be deceitful with their editorial content. In both cases, they can be mutually exclusive — and clouding up the differentiation serves little beneficial purpose.
Very good post indeed! ^

The maturity of the internet, both in technology and exposure, since 1998 are factors too, I suppose.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I agree it's hard to argue against a blogger taking stuff for free and then blogging about it. Though if you think that one is bad check out something like this: http://jdombstravels.com/paradise-fo...illas-maldives. I stumbled upon this researching some properties, and I subscribed out of curiosity. Every single post ends with "thanks to so-and-so for the free-whatever-whatever...
Yeah, I was actually going to say something about them in my blog. Can't believe it....Maybe I should start posting my own trip reports to have vendors approach me? I promise I will be very fair
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Yeah, I was actually going to say something about them in my blog. Can't believe it....Maybe I should start posting my own trip reports to have vendors approach me? I promise I will be very fair
Actually this one makes me nauseate more than any affiliate links... I mean at least I as the reader stand to make something out of a card link. This is like "look at us traveling the world for free because you dopes keep clicking on our page"
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Because we can't resist watching "train wreck" TV and seeing Karl Rove's implosion was indeed entertaining.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
But when you redeem a few credit card miles for a (almost) free AA seat and write a trip report on FT, you wouldn't expect someone who was paying $5,000 of their own cash for the same ticket to look at the product the same way either.

Ben does travel enough so that any comparisons he makes with other J seats are properly valid (and would be laughed at if he came to any 'odd' conclusions).
Well, I'm sure Lucky doesn't have nearly enough miles to redeem for a trip in AA J.

And seriously, guys... if you're doing luxury hotels as a blogger, you use social media a lot (including when things go wrong), and your name is distinctive, do you honestly think that any chain property isn't going to perk up their ears and take notice, and have lots of notes on "VIP VIP VIP" when their name comes up during checkin?

Read some Anthony Bourdain about how high end restauranteurs deal with VIP writers/reviewers to get an idea of what's going on here. I'm not saying Lucky is trying to milk the deal per se, but there's a reason why newspapers try to do blind reviews (and why restauranteurs try to figure out who those reviewers are).
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:40 pm

Just read this:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...age-miles-168/

For a beginner, it was really a good read. And as I thought about posting something here, I thought back and realized there were no cc links. I went back to verify and saw two ads along the side, but nothing embedded.

I am still trying to sort out which bloggers are worth following. I certainly recognize Ric's name but frankly as I try to get up to speed, I have been reading so many blogs with such similar names that they do blur a bit. However, this one stands out and I will now remember both Ric and Loyalty Traveler. I like his approach which mirrors mine. As he explains in his "About" page:

"I am not a luxury seeking global traveler staying 200+ nights in a hotel. That is not the lifestyle I want. My hotel lifestyle concern is usually something more mundane like how to get a good 4-star hotel in Los Angeles or San Francisco when rates are over $250 per night and I don’t want to spend more than $125."

and I like this:

"Disclosure Policy: Any link that provides referral income, any sponsored blog post or complimentary media trip will be disclosed. There are no affiliate marketing links on Loyalty Traveler at this time."

I expect FT old-timers know all this, but for the newbies following this thread, who are not into fancy aspirational travel and prefer few/no affiliate links, Ric and his Loyalty Traveler are worth some blog-reading time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.